CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Sarah Long

Profile:
am i too fat?!

i know people say there are all levels - all shapes - all sizes, BUT is this really true? i am not just overweight, but considered obese.
humph.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: am i too fat?!

Um, that's an incredibly subjective question, especially given that we can't see you.

Regardless of all that though, it doesn't *really* matter. If you have a problem with your body composition to the point that changing it is one of your goals, we are here to help you. You are among a group of people (including many, many women) who tend to value performance and strength over aesthetics, so hopefully we'll be able to encourage you.

And if you do in fact carry too much body fat for your height (and I hope you're not using BMI to calculate this, because it tends to be inaccurate), there are also many many people on these boards that are working on the same issues as you are. Or have overcome them. Read around!

Welcome.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Sarah Long

Profile:

i am about 80 pounds over what i am at a healthy weight. not bmi. i am not going to be doing it on my own. i will be doing it at a facility. i was VERY athletic until about 10 years ago. i suppose i should do something else until i am thinner. i have looked around the board and i have seen no other obese people. i think i may be very out of place.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Dave Carpenter

Profile:

Sarah - keep cruising through the Starting Section -- you'll see a ton of folks who self identify as obese or overweight. Next go check out the testimonials section. I go there every day for motivation.

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Lisa Jeansonne Johnston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Long View Post
i am about 80 pounds over what i am at a healthy weight. not bmi. i am not going to be doing it on my own. i will be doing it at a facility. i was VERY athletic until about 10 years ago. i suppose i should do something else until i am thinner. i have looked around the board and i have seen no other obese people. i think i may be very out of place.
Every one here has been or is currently on their own journey. (I'm currently on mine, not where I strive to be, but better than I was!)

If you don't believe me, check out this link to a very inspirational blog entry by one of the preeminent posters on this board.

http://wallyslife.blogspot.com/ WFS
Old 01-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

There are quite a few that either started as obese or are starting now as obese. Don't worry about what you can't do, focus on what you can do, and on making what you can do more than you could do yesterday.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Long View Post
i know people say there are all levels - all shapes - all sizes, BUT is this really true? i am not just overweight, but considered obese.
humph.
Very self-defeating.

You are not looking at the testimonial section. Please take a look.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
James White

Profile:

"am i too fat?!"

No such animal.

Doing other stuff to prepare for CrossFit is a bad idea. Do CrossFit to get ready for CrossFit.

If you haven't already, read the FAQs and Start Here tabs on the main page. One links to BrandX scaling. Find the level that works for you. There are 80-year olds doing CrossFit. There are people with no arms and legs doing CrossFit. Don't let 80# be your excuse.

Two weeks ago I would've been about 80# over what the charts say I *should* be. Screw those charts. I'll go do thrusters with the chart maker's mothers.

Do work!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Meghan Reid

Profile:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=62468

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&id=625521084

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=62627

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63594

All CF threads are WFS. Tamara Cohen's facebook page is not WFS if you have a problem with profanity or excessive bikini pictures.

But these should help you out. Now go do work.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

http://heightn.com/crossfitstory/cat...ossfit-stories (wfs)