CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Barry Corcoran

Profile:
how to compete at the crossfit games

hi all,

I was wondering can someone tell me how does someone try out at the sectionals can anyone one turn up and try out,do you need to be part of an affiliate,are the sectionals an event,whats usually happens

i ask as i do not workout in a crossfit gym,

thanks

Last edited by Barry Corcoran : 01-03-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: how to compete at the crossfit games

All information is posted at crossfitgames.com (presumably WFS).

Last year, you registered for the Sectionals online, then showed up the day of the event. Details of the 2011 Sectionals are not yet out, but it looks like it's going to be a video qualifier: do the workout(s), film it/them, and send in the video.

Katherine
Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Barry Corcoran

Profile:

thanks,

yes i found that bit strange when i read that you film yourworkout and send it in,its a bit fo a disspointmnet if thats how you quilfy for regional,you could have as mnay goes as you like beofre sending in the vid, were as if it was an event youd only get one shot,

so the video will be how you qaulify,dont like the sound of that,could be a bit dogdy
Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Details of the 2011 Sectionals are not yet out, but it looks like it's going to be a video qualifier: do the workout(s), film it/them, and send in the video.

Katherine
This sounds ridiculous to me, just saying...
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

ludicrous
Old 01-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Why do you guys this this is so horrible? I'm just not getting it. Again Faster has basically been "beta testing" this method with their online wod series competition (http://www.againfaster.com/wod-series-videos/ wfs) and it has been really cool. If you have a problem with making a video yourself, or simply want the group atmosphere, then go compete at an affiliate that holds sectional comps at their location.

Quote:
each performance needs to be validated, either through a video submission or by a registered CrossFit affiliate.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Barry Corcoran

Profile:

the reason im dissapointed is becuase it seems a bit unprofessional for a sport that wants to grow into to perhaps some day a professional sport,
im not 100 percent sure how this vid thing will work,but there could be all kind of loop holes with this,i mean how can anybody be certain a 2okg bar is exactlt that in the vid,remember a bar in an old ym i trained in ,it was 15kg but was identical to the 20kg,the list goes on,it opens the door for cheating

if this is to be taking a SERIOUS sport ya cant have people sending in videos of themselves to qaulify to the next level,ive never heared of anysort doing this,

a day event would be the right thing or at the very least at your affiliate club
Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Maybe HQ is planning on producing a bloopers real, like "Crossfits funniest videos." I'm sure there will be some classics sent in.

What is so hard about having live events?

I guess my main objections would be 1)seems like they could be faked/forged, but more than that 2) this is not helping to create a sense of community or organization.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I agree it opens the door to cheating. I mean if someone is doing it at an affiliate where they are buddy-buddy with the owner what's stopping them from getting into it and realize they screwed a movement up and start over? I mean if they just got into the WoD then they could stop and rest and start all over. And what's to stop people from giving it multiple tries?

And will there be a system for penalization for not meeting standards on movements? What if a guys squats aren't low enough or whatever it may be and the affiliate he's doing it at counts it and then HQ reviews the video and goes "Well that's not right." Does that person get completely DQ'd now or have time added?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

The Crossfit Games have grown from essentially a weekend backyard BBQ to a multi-level international competition in five years. In other words, there has been an huge growth surge for an essentially new sport the likes of which has not been seen before, IMO. One can look to the initial Ironman Triathlon race in Feb '78, there were only 15 participants, then 50 participants in '79, eventually growing to a system of qualifying races (and a limited lottery) for the now Ironman World Championship race in Kona. I can only imagine that there were griping and complaining when the qualifying format was implemented in the early years, but with success and maturity comes changes.

When the sectional format was announced last year, there was the same uproar over the process and that the WODs from sectional to sectional were not the same or consistent. Now the WODs are the same for everyone apparently, but we don't have all the details on what it will take to qualify for sectionals. All that I can say is have patience and let the details emerge on CFHQ time schedule. I really don't believe that something with such a huge growth and following would be done in a half-a$$ manner.