CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-23-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Andrew Breyer

Profile:
Rowing -- Proper breathing technique

I have made it a goal of mine to get more proficient with rowing technique. I can keep a solid 1:20 per 500m pace for about 50 seconds, but after that I quickly 'fall off' and can barely hold 1:40/500m. I feel like mechanically I understand what I need to do, but it is very hard to hold sound mechanics with no gas in the tank.

I have been playing with my breathing lately to see if I can become more comfortable with that aspect, and I am frustrated that I can not get into a rhythm.

For those who are proficient rowers, do you pace your breath? I am finding it uncomfortable to get air in the catch and hold it through the drive. I am not quite sure what the correct technique would look like.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Rowing -- Proper breathing technique

I try to forcefully breath out during the drive.

The 500m is a bit difficult to use to practice breathing because it's a sprint, the stroke rate can get ridiculously high, and breathing at the end is more rapid than the beginning.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
I try to forcefully breath out during the drive.

The 500m is a bit difficult to use to practice breathing because it's a sprint, the stroke rate can get ridiculously high, and breathing at the end is more rapid than the beginning.
Ridiculously high? What stroke rate would you say elite rowers average for 500m?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
Bob D Pratt

Profile:

You might get better luck posting/ searching here:
http://www.c2forum.com/

I seem to remember a thread about breathing a while ago.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Ridiculously high? What stroke rate would you say elite rowers average for 500m?
Well most elite rowers don't do the 500m much, they concentrate on the 2k. My times for the 500m are very competitive in my age/weight division for the 500m, not as much for the 2k. When I do the 500m for time my stroke rate is in the high 30s or even low 40s. At that point it's very hard to avoid chain slap. I might be getting one or two strokes per one breath. But for a 2k the stroke rate is going to be in the high 20s, at least for me. Respiration rate is going to be higher than for the 500m, around two breaths per stroke.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Well most elite rowers don't do the 500m much, they concentrate on the 2k. My times for the 500m are very competitive in my age/weight division for the 500m, not as much for the 2k. When I do the 500m for time my stroke rate is in the high 30s or even low 40s. At that point it's very hard to avoid chain slap. I might be getting one or two strokes per one breath. But for a 2k the stroke rate is going to be in the high 20s, at least for me. Respiration rate is going to be higher than for the 500m, around two breaths per stroke.
Sounds about right for me too
Old 12-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

I think what I'm going to do is video one of my 500 or 2k attempts and analyze from a tape. I will post back here with the video.

Thank you for the help, I think my stroke rate has been too low. Im around 28 to 30.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

IMO the best way to get faster is more power per stroke, not more strokes per minute. In training my stroke rate goes as low as 18-20spm for a sub-2:00 pace. My best pace at 24spm is 1:45, heavyweights should be able to do better. Keep in mind the reason why the heayvweights row faster than the lightweights is because they generate more power per stroke and not because they row more strokes per minute.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
I think what I'm going to do is video one of my 500 or 2k attempts and analyze from a tape. I will post back here with the video.

Thank you for the help, I think my stroke rate has been too low. Im around 28 to 30.
To get your best time your rate is probably too low. However, odds are you will have much better technique at that rate. Until your stroke is good, I'd recommend you keep your rate down. It's still easy to measure progress, just consistently cap your 500's at 30 spm (for example).

Post your video in the Digital Coaching forum. I'd recommend your film some steady state along with full pressure. If you don't know what to do for steady state, just take your 500m split and subtract 30" - 40".
Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
Thomas R. Stegelmann

Profile:

Breath out on the drive. Breath in on the recovery. Do pyramids for stroke rate starting at 5 minutes for 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18 spm. For each step up the pyramid, your 500m split decrease and vice versa. Scale if required.