CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #21
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:
Re: Sectionals Held Online- Thoughts?

Yeah, man. Thanks for the offer. If you tell me when, I'll definitely make it. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Jakob Schmidt : 12-07-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: TYPO...
Old 12-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
Kieran Barry

Profile:

I think the sectionals going completely online is an unfortunate decision. Sectionals are an excuse for the Crossfit family to come together and have a party, and for sub-firebreathers to experience competition. They're a great way of promoting the Crossfit brand, and a great potential training goal ("I may never make it to regionals, but I'm going to kill myself so that I can compete in Sectionals").

I would guess that the logistics of Sectionals might be challenging. As Crossfit grows more popular, the cost of putting on Sectionals is going to rise. There's also a considerable advantage having sectionals near home, especially in places like Canada or Europe or Australia/NZ.

Coach also made some comments regarding the need to protect the trademark. So here is what I'd do:

Qualification for Regionals split into two streams, a box stream and an online stream.

Box stream
Box stream happens on a single day (called Sectional Saturday). Any affiliate or group of affiliates can hold a box-stream event. Top n competitor(s) from each affiliate gets through, event if Crossfit Useless winds up last in every event (provided that all events are completed). In the case of a multi-box event, a bonus place is awarded for each x affiliates taking part, which goes to the best performance by someone not getting one of the n affiliate places.

Events include stuff like muscleups and HSPUs and 70kg snatch and the "Rich Froning memorial rope climb" either as part of the events or as a skills-qualifier, to ensure that Crossfit Useless don't get to buy a place in a regionals without being able to compete at all.

There's a benefit to organising a decent multi-affiliate event, from the bonus places. That feeds the Crossfit family party feel, and gives a virtuous feedback loop to affiliates that are good neighbours. To protect the trademark, such events have to be registered with HQ along with a 10 buck cheque. HQ must approve the event. HQ would specify all events, standard across the world. The benefit of at least one person from every box going to Regionals is that no box gets cut out of the Crossfit games family, unless the training is really crap. Sectionals cost is minimised, because it's picked up by affiliates.

Online Sectionals stream
This is probably as suggested in the video. 25% or 50% or 75% (I'd take 25%) of the places in the regionals go to the top qualifiers in the online stream. The qualification period would start the day after the Sectional Saturday. This would also include a skills element to ensure that anyone qualifying for Regionals isn't going to crash out on a lack of basic skills.

The problem this creates is that Regionals will get huge. Even if you only qualify 1 guy from each affiliate, there's 2000+ affiliates, so 2000+ places in regionals would be required. I think the solution to THAT is to allow a fixed percentage to go through to the games. Based on 2000, 1% or 0.5% might make sense, giving 200 or 100 games competitors. It also solves the problem of the insanely competitive California regionals, by giving a head-count based allocation.

That would mean that you could go to State-wide or sub State-wide Regionals for areas where it is appropriate (ie have more than 100-200 affiliates). For remote areas (think Africa, maybe Australia, South America) the online regional still exists for great competitors.

Online Regionals stream
The argument about sectionals being about performing on one day also applies to Regionals. I think a percentage of Games places should be available in a world-wide open Regional, as was done in 2009. I also have a lot of time for reserving a spot for the top US Navy, Army, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard guy in the open Regional if they don't qualify automatically. I don't think that it's necessary, a lot of those guys rock, but it's a nice gesture.

Obviously, this is just me brainstorming. What do you guys think?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #23
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
Yeah, I know. I go to Hammerdown occasionally.... but! I go to school in Harrisonburg, VA... There used to be a gym here but, went out of business...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
Gotcha, sorry to hear that. Well once more info comes out on the mechanics of the hosting process we'll probably be having a qualifier at our box. If you can make it up to halfway between DC and Balmer you're more than welcome to join us. If you can't make that date then feel free to come up and we'll help you film a submission.
Same here, Jacob-
I know you've got good potential based on your efforts at the Hopper last month. If you find yourself up near my box, let me know. I'm sure we can work out something.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #24
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Same here, Jacob-
I know you've got good potential based on your efforts at the Hopper last month. If you find yourself up near my box, let me know. I'm sure we can work out something.
Many thanks, Sean. It was great meeting you at the Hopper. My efforts were certainly rough, but it's definitely shown me what to do for next time. Thanks a lot for your offer.

Also, are you gonna go to the Charlottesville competition (SuperFit games)?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #25
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I haven't decided about the SuperFit games yet.
If I go at all, it will be only as a judge - not a competitor. It is scheduled about 1 month before my next USAPL meet, so I will be in full-on meathead mode at that point.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #26
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Also to Sean, I've been using your squatting advice. It's been working. Squatting at least once every week.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #27
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I haven't decided about the SuperFit games yet.
If I go at all, it will be only as a judge - not a competitor. It is scheduled about 1 month before my next USAPL meet, so I will be in full-on meathead mode at that point.
Haha, I'm sure you'll kill it at the USAPL meet. You should definitely come judge though. It looks like it is gonna be a strong group competing this year. Were is the PL competition gonna be held?

Last edited by Jakob Schmidt : 12-08-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #28
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
Yeah, I know. I go to Hammerdown occasionally.... but! I go to school in Harrisonburg, VA... There used to be a gym here but, went out of business...
If you could have gotten there for a sectional, you can get there to get a video done.

Katherine
Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #29
Sean Dunston

Profile:

it is just outside of Charlottesville in Zion Crossroads (near Gordonsville).

wfs

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/pow.../Virginia-Open

good to see that you are squatting on a regular basis!

Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #30
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If you could have gotten there for a sectional, you can get there to get a video done.

Katherine
I had thought that the sectionals were 6 different WODs over six weeks, or multiple WODs over the course of the six weeks. If this is the case, making one sectional is doable but six or so, no way.