CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Jay Rhodes

Profile:
Sectionals Held Online- Thoughts?

Video on the mainpage from today (Dec 5), with Castro talking about the new format for this years Games qualifiers.

Not too much info given yet, but it looks like Sectionals will be an online qualifier, Regionals will be at a given location.

Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Sectionals Held Online- Thoughts?

It'll save a lot on the overhead costs and hassles of putting together 30-40 sectionals, which should mean entry fees are less than the $100 they were last year. And not having to travel should mean that more people can get involved in it.

This will require sectional workouts to be pretty standardized...i.e. no odd object lifting because everyone won't have access to that kind of equipment, no running because a video won't be able to confirm distances and terrain changes, etc.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

It doesn't change anything for me. I'm still doing it regardless. But I think its a terrible idea.
Sports require organization.
This essentially gets rid of the whole community aspect of things at arguably the most important level (in terms of numbers, affiliates participating, etc)
Ill be watching for more info, but there is something to be said for competing against your opponent face to face. People rise to the occassion.
Would Rob O have hit that 300lb clean and jerk x 3 in front of his camera alone? Not likely.
I mentioned it to a few people at our box who will be competing in sectionals for the first time and they thought it was silly, and even went as far as what's the point.
It sort of saps the fun out of things. Sectionals can be a great place to get to know the other affiliates in the area.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Yea - for a garage crossfitter it is even worse. I worked my *** off this year in prep for sectionals, now I'm kinda in the whats the point crew. If it is going to be a 6 week long thing with like 5 -10 stupid little couplets that are chosen because they can easily be grade-able on video that takes all the fun out of it for me. Plus I go to school, have a job, am in the Reserves, taking one weekend out for sectionals was an easy and fun change of pace, with new hard and different workouts...but spending 6 weeks worrying about re-submitting, getting all the workouts done with good video, good form, a proper timer and lighting (my garage is dim in the winter, videos come out awful) just isn't worth my time. I will wait to see the format I guess, but more than likely I will not compete on principle...The whole affiliate thing seems weird to me, sectionals worked well because it had a kind of "neutral field" feel to it, with unknown judges etc. If you get people in their own box, with their own weights, and their trainers as judges, **** is gonna be messed up big time....again I will wait to see the final format, but my initial reaction is that this is the stupidest thing ever. What if one of the workouts is "Randy" and you do 74/75 snatches perfectly, post a 2minute time...do they say that it fails because one rep wasn't locked out? Yet you still beat the next guy by a whole minute, not like you couldn't re-do that rep in that minute?....stupid.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 12-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

I think its the lesser of two evils.

On one side you lose the community and participation.

On the other side you're facing possible questionable judging and unequal events programming.

The individuals who truly deserve to compete on the national level should have nothing to fear.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
It doesn't change anything for me. I'm still doing it regardless. But I think its a terrible idea.
Sports require organization.
This essentially gets rid of the whole community aspect of things at arguably the most important level (in terms of numbers, affiliates participating, etc)
Ill be watching for more info, but there is something to be said for competing against your opponent face to face. People rise to the occassion.
Would Rob O have hit that 300lb clean and jerk x 3 in front of his camera alone? Not likely.
I mentioned it to a few people at our box who will be competing in sectionals for the first time and they thought it was silly, and even went as far as what's the point.
It sort of saps the fun out of things. Sectionals can be a great place to get to know the other affiliates in the area.
This. I've never competed before, and I have NO expectations of making it past sectionals. I was really looking forward to training with the girls at my gym, but like Jay and others said, what's the point? No crowd screaming at you to push through another rep, no pile of friends to fall on you when you finish, no group clapping and cheering for you...yeah, I get it. The true firebreathers are going to advance to regionals like they always would have, but I'm left alone with a few people in the gym and a video camera? Blah.

I mean, if nothing else, this just reinforces what has been nagging at the back of my mind about HQ for some time now, and that's that as CF becomes more recognized as a sport, they're going to push the firebreathers and lose the garage gym aspect along with the little guys that are just doing it to have fun. In what other sport could I concieveably show up out of my garage and compete next to Camille or Heather Bergeron or Kristen Clever? That's like showing up for a free throw competition and being paired with Michael Jordan. It's got to be so incredibly inspiring.

Maybe I'm just being pouty, but it's like, yeah we all know the amazing athletes are going to go far, so let them do that and let the rest of us have some fun competing as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
I mean, if nothing else, this just reinforces what has been nagging at the back of my mind about HQ for some time now, and that's that as CF becomes more recognized as a sport, they're going to push the firebreathers and lose the garage gym aspect along with the little guys that are just doing it to have fun.
Yep. Ultimately the real athletes will probably make it through the same as they would have otherwise. But it does take out of a bit of the uncertainty with regards to sectionals setting up their own workouts, own judges, and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Binek View Post
What if one of the workouts is "Randy" and you do 74/75 snatches perfectly, post a 2minute time...do they say that it fails because one rep wasn't locked out? Yet you still beat the next guy by a whole minute, not like you couldn't re-do that rep in that minute?....stupid.
I'm assuming that there will be some sort of penalty for missed reps that they would assess time-wise.

The fact that everybody would do the same WODs would conceivably allow you to calculate a sectionals winner from among all the athletes that submit...thus eliminating the need for a crossfit games at all except for the fact that some games-competitors will have a free-pass from the sectionals. It's like of like having a weightlifting competition and just have everyone send an email saying how much they lifted. not quite the same.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 12-06-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
The fact that everybody would do the same WODs would conceivably allow you to calculate a sectionals winner from among all the athletes that submit...thus eliminating the need for a crossfit games at all except for the fact that some games-competitors will have a free-pass from the sectionals. It's like of like having a weightlifting competition and just have everyone send an email saying how much they lifted. not quite the same.
The thing is that sectionals are much smaller events, even in this year's models. Once you get to regionals there's a much larger variety possible given the overall scale. At the actual games, the scope widens even more (e.g. sandbag movement) and one simple movement can change everything (i.e. rope climb).

I think the new format, with sectionals hosted at more affiliates and individual submissions, can only be pulled off reliably with more standardized events. I also think that's a good thing, given the programming variance among various sectionals this year.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I completely agree that the sectional workouts should be standardized. I'm just saying, why do we have to lose the fun crowd element of it to do that? With enough planning, every affiliate that hosts sectionals could do the same workout.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

How did they decide which affiliates were able to host sectionals anyway? Perhaps that was part of the problem? Maybe more than one affiliate wanted to do it? Or maybe not enough? Or maybe it was not economically feasible to have a single gym host?