CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Han Sheng Lee

Profile:
Hi all,

After doing crossfit for about two months, I can do about 15-20 of the underhanded-grip kipping pull-ups =) - up from about 4-6. My pulling is much stronger than my pushing now.

I was wondering if anyone knows the technique to execute a (don't know the name for it) ballistic push-up shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx3q1Hle74Y (black shirt).
Fedor does a similar type shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej_cBUwxY8c (0:52-0:54).

Right now my pushups resemble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m0_US7pJCQ (2nd closest guy to camera). I attempt to do it explosively like the 2nd guy (as opposed to the guy closest to the camera), but would like to make my movement more efficient.

Any help is appreciated.

-Han
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
But the guy in the black shirt in the first video isn't even going full ROM. Is that the way we really want to do them?

To get better and faster at doing pushups, I'd say, just do them more often and faster.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
The guy in the black shirt on the video is doing them like my younger brother. He bragged about him being able to do 50 push ups, so I asked him to show me and he did 50 of these 'half' push ups. So I told him he was cheating on form and asked him to do them in full ROM. The little sucker was only good for 20 them!

The morale? Don't cheat. Always do your stuff full ROM, and work on speed, strength ... whatever ... from there. I'm a fairly long limbed guy myself, so I will never be able to do impressively fast push ups, but that shouldn't keep me from trying ;)
Old 09-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
If you want to do ballistic push-up exercises, why not try jumping / clapping pushups?

- jump up and clap, once, twice, triple (?)
- jump up and clap behind your back, once, twice (?)
- jump over things (a book, a ball, etc.)

More fun, and less arguments about range of motion.

Ross Enamait has some funny variations on that theme ...

Have fun!

Christian
Old 09-13-2006, 01:27 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
In gymnastics, ideally we'd really like the guy doing the pushups in the white shirt. Very transferable to casting to handstand, say vs with the arms out, elbows splaying out.
When I think ballistic, I think popping off the ground, each pushup. These are the ones I let the kids do, as I usually stay away from the clapping since they either will kill the ROM or occasionally slam their nose in to the ground. Learning how to block in their shoulders is a good point anyways and sort of carries over to blocking in a handstand position. Sorta.
You can also block off the ground to an incline or decline height. Or travel sideways ( I digress, I saw Billy Blanks do this a long time ago ).

Way back in HS, when we were testing for the blue and gold shirts for National Fitness Testing yadda, yadda; I remember one of the guys passing it by doing the cork-screwing up one side for all his pushups on the rack. It really PO'd me.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:11 AM   #6
Alex Straus

Profile:
Ross Enamit has some unbelievable and very effective variations on the ballistic push-up. That triple clap push-up is badass!!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:39 AM   #7
William Winger

Profile:
The difference between those pushups and a real one is like the difference between 1 air squat and 1 a2a pistol. Sure, a similar set of muscles are being used, but not nearly to the same extent. Touch your chest to the floor (without bouncing) and you'll be fine.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Ya could always do the slow down, pop off the ground and do whatever.
I remember the clap in front, behind, and try to clap in front before a faceplant with varied results.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Han,
Shot this footage a while back, you might be able to pick up a thing or two that helps:

http://www.fitforcecamp.com/Video/pushup1.htm

http://www.fitforcecamp.com/Video/pushup2.htm
Old 09-16-2006, 08:51 AM   #10
Han Sheng Lee

Profile:
Everyone, thanks for the your ideas and advice. Jerry, I will definately use some of the movements in your video (I am actually looking for my bands as we speak).

-Han