CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
James Francis

Profile:
Slosh Pipe?

Thinking about making a slosh pipe...Has anyone considered adding about #10 lbs of pea gravel to the slosh pipe? Wonder if it would have a dampening effect or if the additional weight would add to its instability?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
Jason Panicaro

Profile:
Re: Slosh Pipe?

I have 3 slosh pipes, 2 of them being 3" and 1 being 2". Im not sure adding the gravel would work. I feel like the gravel will not move as easily as the water does. I would make one with water and put a removable cap on one end and try it with just water then if you want you can add gravel
Old 10-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

After all your silly questions, I just got some newfound respect for you Jason! lol
Old 10-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
After all your silly questions, I just got some newfound respect for you Jason! lol
I guess I'll say thanks. lol. Hey the only way to learn something new is to ask silly questions.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Dennis Barrett

Profile:

Just a guess. I may be wrong, but I think that if the gravel does shift, it may not readily shift back and the pipe will remain weighted to one side.

Dennis B.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
James Francis

Profile:

Thanks everyone for making the post real. I have come to the conclusion in order to achieve my objective I could add 5lbs of stainless steel bearings to the inside of the tube, I'd also have to add something to reduce 'impact' against each endcap say some innertube slices or something else, and then find another liquid that has a different consistency than water...adding those 2 elements would increase the 'python' effect. and add weight. Ideas?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Jon Cowie

Profile:

I made one and added sand to the water, it's more slow to react but i guess that kinda depends on the water:sand mix. Unfortunately i had to seal the ends to keep them on (shoddy kit i got on a trip) so it was a one shot deal; i went mainly for weight but with hindsight i shoulda used less sand so its more fluid (what with it being the main point and all), mine's heavy but more stable. I also used a wide pipe but shorter length so it'd fit in the car, think it'd be better narrow and long instead of short and fat (insert your own jokes here)
Old 10-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
James Francis

Profile:

I bought the stuff today $36. I got a 10' section of pipe and One Cap, and one Removable cap so I can 'change' the solution. (add water or whatever) I am going to cut 2' off one end so I can fit it in my Pickup, so mine will be an 8 footer I am sure due to the dynamics the 10' would be the best bet...but 8' should suffice esp if I can find 5 lbs of stainless ball bearings to give weight and add to the dynamics of the 'shift'....

I''ve heard anywhere between 1/2 and 3/4 full of water...anyone who uses one...how much water do you use?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

I have 2 gallons in the 10' x 3" slosh pipe, which makes it between 1/2 and 3/4 full
Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
James Francis

Profile:

Thanks Jason,
Mine is of the 4" variety...since mine is varaible, I'll put it at 1/2 and see how it goes, I still have to find where to get my stainless ball bearings but I bet that will make it really unstable...