CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Marcus Smith

Profile:
"Fran" times. Whats your best

I have had a look through but can't seem to find a thread where people can post times / compare / give tips to others for this crossfit standard workout Fran. So I figured I would start one. If anyone knows there is already one running no issues we can post in there.

I did Fran this week in 2:59. In order to improve I always get a video done when trying to set a PB and hence appreciate any feedback and comments.
Here is the viedo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj_3ydzLB24

Post how you go for Fran and also any questions or feedback.
Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Bob Butz

Profile:
Re: "Fran" times. Whats your best

Without a video, I wouldn't place a lot of stock in the legitimacy of any three minute "Fran" times people claim. In fact, I wouldn't place a lot of stock in any video-less claims of 90-percent of the sub-five minute Fran times people claim.

The problem is always in the range of motion, e.g. squats that don't break parallel; thrusters where the head doesn't come through at the top and therefore are not truly locked out (you'll undoubtedly get those two comments about your video), pull-ups where the chin doesn't go over the bar or don't start from a dead hang (yours looked good, by the way).

This is not said to be unkind. Most people who claim sub-three-minute-Fran honestly think they are doing the reps at full range of motion. They really aren't trying to falsify their times. But if you're asking for Fran times--or any workout times for that matter--in an effort to compare yourself against the masses who post on the boards, I'd say fine. Just don't get too happy (or be too hard on yourself) when you see where your own time(s) fall.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
Marcus Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Butz View Post
Without a video, I wouldn't place a lot of stock in the legitimacy of any three minute "Fran" times people claim. In fact, I wouldn't place a lot of stock in any video-less claims of 90-percent of the sub-five minute Fran times people claim.

The problem is always in the range of motion, e.g. squats that don't break parallel; thrusters where the head doesn't come through at the top and therefore are not truly locked out (you'll undoubtedly get those two comments about your video), pull-ups where the chin doesn't go over the bar or don't start from a dead hang (yours looked good, by the way).

This is not said to be unkind. Most people who claim sub-three-minute-Fran honestly think they are doing the reps at full range of motion. They really aren't trying to falsify their times. But if you're asking for Fran times--or any workout times for that matter--in an effort to compare yourself against the masses who post on the boards, I'd say fine. Just don't get too happy (or be too hard on yourself) when you see where your own time(s) fall.
Thanks for the comments Bob, good angles you have on things. The main reason for posting the video is as a verification as to ROM and so we are all comparing apples with apples, of course another reason is to try and get good advice on how to improve. We all have to continue to improve....
Old 10-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Smith View Post
I have had a look through but can't seem to find a thread where people can post times / compare / give tips to others for this crossfit standard workout Fran. So I figured I would start one. If anyone knows there is already one running no issues we can post in there.

I did Fran this week in 2:59. In order to improve I always get a video done when trying to set a PB and hence appreciate any feedback and comments.
Here is the viedo:

Thanks
You definitely need to work on the thrusters. Work on bringing your head through the window at the top. Also, I can't tell with the video how deep they are...But I was watching on my phone.

Once you streamline everything your time will probably go up. When you get more effecient your time will go down.

My best time - 3:34. How do I go? All out!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Brian Saftig

Profile:

My best Fran time is 3:26.

I did SWAT Fran today with all of my gear on. I usually weigh about 198 with no clothes. I weighed 204 clothed and 242 with all of my gear...with the exception of my rifle and leg drop mag holder. I also wore my gas mask with filter in place.

I finished a (legit) 7:28 SWAT Fran. I have it on video, just have no idea how to add any text to it. It is not a very good video, as it is kind of distant and only from one angle. It does show full ROM and every rep. I would like to send it to the main site. I know there was a video of two (2) guys doing SWAT Fran a while back, but I could not find the video this morning. Any ideas?

Last edited by Brian Saftig : 10-29-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Kurt Sarkela

Profile:

Put your head through at the top of the window... Have to see the ears at the top of thruster! Depth is tough to tell also. If you want to be legit make every rep count! Games style. My best time is 3:18 going on sub 3.

http://crossfituntamed.com/
Old 10-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
You definitely need to work on the thrusters. Work on bringing your head through the window at the top. Also, I can't tell with the video how deep they are...But I was watching on my phone.

Once you streamline everything your time will probably go up. When you get more effecient your time will go down.

My best time - 3:34. How do I go? All out!
Oops. I was wrong. PR was 3:28. Here's the video w/f/s - not perfect but I feel legit. Also 1st time doing bfk.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Yea OP, not one of those thrusters would count in competition...ear needs to break plane of arm. You're fitter then I, I'm just giving constructive feedback.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Ditto on what everyone mentioned about the thrusters....get lower and finish that top position.
Still great intensity though. Just make sure if/when you compete because having reps taken away is the worst.

Only hit Fran and couple times....my best....3:06 - with potential to bring it way down. It didn't really gas me that hard. (Way less than the previous attempts which nearly killed me!)
Maxed out on push press @ 225lbs before the 3:06 Fran and within 8 min of finishing hit a 185, 195, 205, 215 push press as well.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Smith View Post

Here is the viedo:

Thanks
First off, good work.

Second, this video is the reason why when people tell me they have a sub x minute Fran I tell them: "Yeah, sure you do."

Don't get me wrong - the intensity was there and impressive. Though, next time I suggest you shoot for a sub 4 minute legit Fran.