CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Brian Gunn

Profile:
Is Crossfit for me?

I am 6'1" around 265 and I gotta tell ya, I know I cannot do half the workouts. I have a job that is pretty demanding from time to time and I would like to get in better shape to perform better at my job. Not to mention that my dad is having health issues right now and I recently became a dad myself and I do not want to go down the same path as my dad. Looking at some of the pics on this site of people at there gyms I notice that there are no overweight people there. Is this something that will benefit me?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: Is Crossfit for me?

Yes.
There are members here from every level of fitness. What are you trying to achieve?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Everyone is fit because if you stick with it, it works There are loads of testimonials around here from people just like you, crossfit is for everyone. My gym has lots of formerly overweight/out of shape folks who got totally fit doing it - including a (now) trainer who went from obese and unable to do a dead hang from the bar to competing at regional and sectional competition for the crossfit games in 1.5 years.
Almost any crossfit gym website will have success stories posted of those who have come an especially long way, the people aren't all fit because only gym rats take up crossfitting... more like you become a gym rat because you took up crossfit ;-)
Check out http://crossfitstory.com/blog/category/crossfit-stories (wfs). Newish site but have a good mix of different types of success stories
Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Brian Gunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Yes.
There are members here from every level of fitness. What are you trying to achieve?
Well, I want to improve my overall health. I am not to worried about looking a certain way I mean I figure that will come in time. But right now my goal is to loose weight and improve muscular indurance and strength. Being overweight I am also "borderline diabetic" and my triglyceride levels are extremely high. So I need to get to work. lol
Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Craig Massey

Profile:

Pointing you offsite, but here's a guy I've met and seen training:
http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....0_mike_winter/ (wfs)

His first workout was sit to stand a few times and walk the length of the building. His first deadlift was 70 pounds, now he's knocking on the door of lifting 400 pounds.

I haven't met her, but online I know a Grandmother who'd never exercised in her life who started with extremely scaled workouts and worked her way up.

CrossFit can be scaled down as much as necessary to allow anyone to do it.
There are resources available which do the scaling for you, all you have to do is do the work.

Best of all though, find an affiliate and get there for some personalised coaching. Even if you don't want to train there long term, going through an affiliate's Intro program will stand you in very good stead and lessen your chance of injury.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Brian Gunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Everyone is fit because if you stick with it, it works There are loads of testimonials around here from people just like you, crossfit is for everyone. My gym has lots of formerly overweight/out of shape folks who got totally fit doing it - including a (now) trainer who went from obese and unable to do a dead hang from the bar to competing at regional and sectional competition for the crossfit games in 1.5 years.
Almost any crossfit gym website will have success stories posted of those who have come an especially long way, the people aren't all fit because only gym rats take up crossfitting... more like you become a gym rat because you took up crossfit ;-)
Check out http://crossfitstory.com/blog/category/crossfit-stories (wfs). Newish site but have a good mix of different types of success stories
Wow that is a great site, really good stories. I good to know that there are people out there like myself and that they are succeeding.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Thomas Green

Profile:

of course it is!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Jason Peacock

Profile:

My aunt recently had orthoscopic surgery on her knees and is a cancer survivor (2yrs of brutal chemo/radiation).

My mother is diabetic (type 2), breast cancer survivor, and hasn't regularly worked out in many years.

My father used to do yoga & tai chi for 2hrs every day, plus elliptical & bowflex, in an attempt to balance his love of good food & drink.

I was 50lbs overweight from driving a desk and eating like the athlete that I used to be.

Crossfit has changed all of our lives for the better - my aunt is active again, hiking everywhere. My mother's insulin numbers are down 30% from eating Paleo and are down >50% when she's doing Paleo + CF. My father has lost 3+ inches from his waist and has increased fitness despite not exercising for 2hrs every day anymore. My own bodyfat percent has gone from 36% to <20% and I'm literally 2x as strong.

So yeah, Crossfit is for you, it's for everybody Just remember, you're not going to kick butt on day 1 - it's a slow but steady progression. Start with the scaled workouts and be consistent, you'll be happy with the results.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #9
Gillian Steele

Profile:

Like everyone said above Crossfit is definately for everyone - any type of person, you just have to scale to your ability- try heading on down to your affiliate and have a chat to them, they'll be able to help you
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
Rick Wisotzke

Profile:

CrossFit is for EVERYONE. I have Clients that are 100+ pounds overweight and they are getting in shape FAST!! You don't have to start doing the WOD as Rx'd.
Modify it to start. Find an affiliate near you, that way you'll be under the watchful eye of a qualified trainer and they will track your progress. Good Luck and stick with it, It will change your life.

Rick Wisotzke
Ninja CrossFit
Sarasota Florida