CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Michael Penna
Member Michael Penna is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Villanova  PA
Posts: 8
Protein Shake for Paleo Diet

I don't know if this is the right place for this post, since it appears that Cross Fit endorses the Zone diet, but this is a question related to the Paleo Diet and those who follow other diets but also follow the guidelines of the paleo diet.

One of the basic principles of the paleo diet is no dairy. As for me, sometimes for my workouts I drink a protein shake after in order to ensure my body has adequate protein. Also sometimes I'll drink a protein shake at night on days the workout is really intense (at night I drink Muscle Milk the natural version).

Since the paleo diet forbids dairy, what do people who follow the paleo diet use after their workouts or before going to bed to make sure they are getting enough protein? During the day I don't always have enough time for a meal so what would you recommend? Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Scott Donchak
Member Scott Donchak is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 203
Re: Protein Shake for Paleo Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Penna View Post
I don't know if this is the right place for this post, since it appears that Cross Fit endorses the Zone diet, but this is a question related to the Paleo Diet and those who follow other diets but also follow the guidelines of the paleo diet.

One of the basic principles of the paleo diet is no dairy. As for me, sometimes for my workouts I drink a protein shake after in order to ensure my body has adequate protein. Also sometimes I'll drink a protein shake at night on days the workout is really intense (at night I drink Muscle Milk the natural version).

Since the paleo diet forbids dairy, what do people who follow the paleo diet use after their workouts or before going to bed to make sure they are getting enough protein? During the day I don't always have enough time for a meal so what would you recommend? Thanks

This gets asked a lot. Post Work Out (PWO) meals are a hot topic so if you use the search function, you'll find a lot more information.

The standard PWO meals tend to be a complex carbohydrate such as a banana or a sweet potato coupled with a large portion or lean meat such as turkey, chicken, etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,384
Re: Protein Shake for Paleo Diet

Muscle Milk is overpriced and overrated. If you need a protein supplement just find a whey or whey/casein blend that doesn't have a lot of additives in it, and mix it with coconut milk. Nitrean, Optimum Nutrition, and Muscle Gauge Nutrition have some good options. It's not Paleo, but you could do far worse...even Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson advocate protein powders from time to time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Mike McGee
Member Mike McGee is offline
 
Mike McGee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springfield  VA
Posts: 165
Re: Protein Shake for Paleo Diet

Michael, as mentioned, PWO nutrition is a huge topic on here, as well as milk for that matter. What you have to ask yourself is: What are you goals? Do you feel the protein shakes help you perform better or recover quicker? If so, stick with them. You know what's best for you. One thing you can try is stop taking them for a month. See how you feel, then decide.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Tom Jones Jr
Member Tom Jones Jr is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London  England
Posts: 182
Re: Protein Shake for Paleo Diet

I don't think protein shakes are at all vital, as real food will always trump them, but i don't see why they need be forbidden because they ar not paleo.

I eat real food protein post workout, like shrimp or turkey slices. I think whey is overpriced for really not that much nutritional value, and as a meal replacement is wholly inadequate. Is an extra 20g protein and 100kcals really going to improve recovery?

It depends on goals. If you're goal is to put weight on, consider whole, non-homogenised, grassfed(cow) milk. If it's to lose weight, don't consider it.

If we're talking meal replacment every now and then, well, whole milk has a perfect ratio of protein, carbs and fat, so yeah just do it. Forget about the limitations of paleo unless you feel truly compelled to stick to it 24/7.

Also, if you don't ALWAYS have time for a meal during the day, its not always going to be a problem unless you have specific goals such as weight gain, and you are eating enought morning and night.
__________________
-Be Regular and orderley in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Scott Donchak
Member Scott Donchak is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 203
Re: Protein Shake for Paleo Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Muscle Milk is overpriced and overrated. If you need a protein supplement just find a whey or whey/casein blend that doesn't have a lot of additives in it, and mix it with coconut milk. Nitrean, Optimum Nutrition, and Muscle Gauge Nutrition have some good options. It's not Paleo, but you could do far worse...even Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson advocate protein powders from time to time.
I agree with this. Muscle Milk is on the low end of the spectrum in terms of quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Scott Donchak
Member Scott Donchak is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 203
Re: Protein Shake for Paleo Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jones Jr View Post
I don't think protein shakes are at all vital, as real food will always trump them, but i don't see why they need be forbidden because they ar not paleo.

I eat real food protein post workout, like shrimp or turkey slices. I think whey is overpriced for really not that much nutritional value, and as a meal replacement is wholly inadequate. Is an extra 20g protein and 100kcals really going to improve recovery?

It depends on goals. If you're goal is to put weight on, consider whole, non-homogenised, grassfed(cow) milk. If it's to lose weight, don't consider it.

If we're talking meal replacment every now and then, well, whole milk has a perfect ratio of protein, carbs and fat, so yeah just do it. Forget about the limitations of paleo unless you feel truly compelled to stick to it 24/7.

Also, if you don't ALWAYS have time for a meal during the day, its not always going to be a problem unless you have specific goals such as weight gain, and you are eating enought morning and night.

Again, I agree with this. There's absolutely no exercuse for replacing a meal with protein powder. It should be a supplement assuming your goals are strength gains.

Although, I've seen some people use PWO protein shakes during fat loss phases and be successful. Like others have said, there are worse things out there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Scott Donchak
Member Scott Donchak is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 203
Re: Protein Shake for Paleo Diet

Here's an interesting log of someone who consumed a beastly amount of Whey and milk on a strength gain program.

WFS

http://crossfitfenway.com/2010/07/30...hing-stronger/
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Michael Christian
Member Michael Christian is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Benning  GA
Posts: 10
Re: Protein Shake for Paleo Diet

Carnivore from muscle meds is about as close to paleo as u can get.100% beef protein isolate. I love it and take it after every wod. Try'd the food pwo and couldn't keep it down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Scott Donchak
Member Scott Donchak is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 203
Re: Protein Shake for Paleo Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Christian View Post
Carnivore from muscle meds is about as close to paleo as u can get.100% beef protein isolate. I love it and take it after every wod. Try'd the food pwo and couldn't keep it down.
Personally, the last thing I want to do is eat after a WOD. I'm way to thirsty and fatigued to be chewing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protein Shake Zone Diet Jason Clark Nutrition 2 10-07-2012 10:30 AM
Protein shake Q--not CF or Paleo related. Christy Labrie Nutrition 3 07-15-2010 08:55 AM
Protein Shake or Meal Replacement Shake? David Luu Nutrition 8 06-23-2010 03:20 PM
Protein Powder and The Paleo Diet for Athletes Carl Chia Nutrition 3 08-15-2008 06:43 AM
Protein shakes and paleo diet matthew ohl Nutrition 4 02-03-2003 06:28 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.