CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Justin Wolf

Profile:
Programming based on BtGB

Ok so after doing alot of looking around at programming, I figured gymnastics is the way to go for the core of my strength. So i'm getting the Building the Gymnastics Body book and rings in a couple days and going to try and make a crossfit program based off its strength template. Im still waiting for the book so if anyone has any good ideas how to program gymnastics primarily with some short heavy wods and oly lifting mixed in I am all ears. Im planning on eating a paleo diet 24/7 except alcohol on weekends (sorry in college). I feel this combination is the best possible programming because the strength of gymnasts astound me.

Last edited by Justin Wolf : 08-31-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:
Re: Programming based on BtGB

BtGB is a great book, website, and programming. Coach sommers posts a daily wod, which I often attempt to incorporate into my programming, though it only generalky works for people who are dedicated to developing their gymnastics ability.

You will find some folks that are on the cf boards moderating and posting on the gymnasticsbody forum. If you search this forum you will even find posts from coach sommers from years back. I think there was some beef between sommers and CF, but I don't know what it was, and I haven't really asked about it per de, as I have great respect for both coaches and programs, and don't care much about that stuff, unless it has some implication about training and programming
Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:

Posting from my phone and it kinda sucks... Got cut off...
But yeah gymnastics bodies is good stuff, you might also check out roger's drills and skills, ido portal, beast skills, and American parkour's wod
Old 09-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Justin if you dive into BtGB you should try it head first for a few weeks, without the supplemental lifts and see how you do..Coach Sommer is on a 28 day cycle so I'd say give it an honest 28 days to get through a full cycle...(maybe even 2 months so you get 2 full cycles) and then I think you'll be smarter about how to add oly lifting...Too often I think people add to someone's programming without ever having done it themselves to know what would work and what wouldn't.

My 0.02
Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Not to change the subject, but weren't you just doing SS as of a few weeks ago? That didn't get you where you wanted to be strength-wise?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
Justin Wolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Not to change the subject, but weren't you just doing SS as of a few weeks ago? That didn't get you where you wanted to be strength-wise?
Yes that's right. I was doing SS and did it for a couple of months and made pretty big gains in strength in that time period. It's just right now i'm back at school and supporting gomad is way to expensive here due to the fact I don't work 25-40 hours a week anymore and could get gallons of milk for $2 where here I only get a half gallon for that amount. The main reason though is gymnastics looks amazing and the fitness level you can acheive with enough time and dedication astounds me. I just recently found out about BtGB and my rings and book should be here any day now so im excited
Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Have you checked out Coach Sommers WOD's on gymnasticbodies.com (wfs)? They include plyometrics that act as conditioning.

If I was going to try to program a gymnastics based strength and conditioning program I would just do something like Crossfit Strength Bias but replace the barbell lifts with gymnastics. So instead of deadlifts do front levers and leg curls, instead of squats do back levers and SLS, instead of press do handstands etc.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
Justin Wolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Justin if you dive into BtGB you should try it head first for a few weeks, without the supplemental lifts and see how you do..Coach Sommer is on a 28 day cycle so I'd say give it an honest 28 days to get through a full cycle...(maybe even 2 months so you get 2 full cycles) and then I think you'll be smarter about how to add oly lifting...Too often I think people add to someone's programming without ever having done it themselves to know what would work and what wouldn't.

My 0.02
Yeah i'm definitely sticking with gymnastics for the long run because I know none of these skills develop over night and the strength level attained from this work can be significant if done properly and consistently for a long period of time. I totally agree with eventually adding in other work because I can't count how many times I saw people wanting to change SS around and everyone says "Just do the Fing program there's a reason it's setup like that".
Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I played with supplementing lifts into Coach S's programming. In my experience it can be done...but I tried it MUCH too early. I didn't even understand Coach S's programming.

I don't like supplementing another program with gymnastic movements because most other programs are knee and hip dominant where most gymnastics is much more push/pull dominant.

Don't neglect to work joint preparation, I just don't think the barbell lifts prepare your elbows and wrists for the demands gymnastics places on them, but I know some disagree...All the info is out there between CF.com and GB.com...and many other sources that I'm sure you have or will find...

I'd recommend if you are new to following Coach S's WODs that you go back towards the beginning as he has steadily ratcheted up the degree of difficulty, volume, and intensity of the workouts over time...
Old 09-02-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
I don't like supplementing another program with gymnastic movements because most other programs are knee and hip dominant where most gymnastics is much more push/pull dominant.
Why not? Seems like there's not too much interference. Is there something else to consider? I'm just thinking of Gant's hybrid program.

Also, I would do a program targeted at your current level of development. I bet greater long term progress would be achieved by starting with whatever beginner program is in the book rather than the GB WOD. I imagine the GB WOD is targeted at a slightly higher level of development.