CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Jordan K Smith

Profile:
crick in neck, not gone afer 5 days

PLEASE HELP I'M DESPARATE! fell asleep on the sofa last sunday or monday and got a crick in my neck on the left side. the pain is local and does not radiate past the neck. i've had cricks before that went away in a day without any action from me so i didnt think it was a big deal. the folowing night, like an idiot, i did the sqt wod from a couple weeks back on the main site. of course later that night it hurt pretty bad so i took the next day off. neck felt better 2 days later though pain was not completely gone, so, like an idiot, i did cindy. after that i vowed to not do anything else to push it and just devoted to resting until it gets better, which i have done. as of today, the pain is persisting. i have read multiple articles about cricks but it seems to be a pretty mysterious subject. some say its a muscle tear, some say ligament. some say heat and stretching. some say don't dare do either. any words of guidance or personal experience anyone can share is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Jordan K Smith

Profile:
Re: crick in neck, not gone afer 5 days

please, steven lowe, just stop by and say im gonne be fine. im about to give up on life over this thing!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Have you done anything to help with pain? Ice, heat, stretching, pain meds, rubs, potions, etc?
Neck pain like that after sleeping "funny" for a day or two should get better. If not, I would get it looked at.
If ice and stretching and some self soft tissue techniques have not helped in a week, you should get it looked at.

If not I would suggest a visit to the chiropractor.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

thanks for the reply.

update:
it is much better as of today. i used a little heat and sometimes ice, moved it around every so often, massaged it lightly and layed down a lot. the thing that seemed to make the biggest difference has been resting it and stopping the work outs. hopefully will be back working out in the next 2 days. i think cricks are my new biggest fear.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Hunter Molzen

Profile:

I've gotten those a few times in my life.

You definitely should not be doing WODs with that... you'll only aggravate it.

Try heat and massage every hour, and usually you can get it to go away within a day.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Best thing you could have done is get yourself to a good chiro/PT right away.

Most "cricks" or neck pain that stick around for more than a day or two are out of place or stuck facets. They tend to hurt when you rotate only one way or up or down or side to side... usually one side is worse than the other on all 3 directions.

Heat, massage, and light movement will help extensively... sometimes make it go away. If you can't get to someone, I would definitely go with heat and massage in the meantime. Light movement if it's non-painful.

If it's stuck though the longer you wait the more probelms you'll have unsticking the tight muscles and everything.