CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Jenny Gatison

Profile:
No Weight Loss

I know crossfit is not necesarily a weight loss plan but I am concerned that I am 5'8 197 pnd female and I have been doing crossfit for a month 5 times a week and not one pound weight loss. My diet is not perfect because I do eat chocolate cookies a few times a week. About a handful of them. Other than that my diet is great and the best it has been in my life. I started crossfit cutting back on the caloric intake but I could not finish the workouts feeling dizzy and my muscles shaking. So my trainer told me I needed to eat betweek 15 to 18 hundred cals. So I cant get this weight off. I have lost some inches but nothing significant. HELP HELP
Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Scott A Martin

Profile:
Re: No Weight Loss

First, it's great that you're CFing regularly, and the fact that you haven't gained any weight means you've surely lost a little fat since you've surely gained some muscle at this point.

With that said, since you're CFing regularly, the bottom line is you need to eat fewer calories. The key is not being too extreme. You need to find an intake level at which you're losing weight but not too lethargic to workout.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Jenny, you've "lost some inches" in only a month? That's GREAT. Keep it up.

You're losing fat and gaining muscle. That's pretty much as awesome as it gets. Don't be disappointed with those amazing results.

Keep it up. You won't keep gaining muscle for very long but the fat will keep melting off as long as your diet is good.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Jenny Gatison

Profile:

Thank you for your reply. Is really encouraging when people who do this understand where I am coming from. I think this is just my old mentality of eat less to lose weight as fast as posible which never worked, or it would only work temporarily and there goes the weight again. Also I tell you my body does look much better even without much weight lost
Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

1. Throw your scale away
    • think it this way. If tomorrow you could weigh exactly the same but having replaced 10 pounds of fat with ten pounds of muscle, would you take it? If so, you've figured out that it's not the scale that matters.
  2. Measure yourself by tape measure, how your clothes fit, how you feel, and by your performance in the workouts.
  3. Get rid of those cookies
Please tell us more about your diet. Many people have come in here feeling great about their diet only to find out that it's way off.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

1500-1800 calories is probably on the low side if you want to sustain any sort of activity level. As Mark said we need to know more about what you're eating. If you're eating mostly Paleo choices in even eyeballed Zone proportions, the weight should be falling off you without you ever feeling like you're starving.

Remember this is a process and not a quick fix--you didn't get up to your current weight overnight, so you're not going to get back to the weight you want to be at overnight.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
Jenny Gatison

Profile:

OK. Here is what my diet looks like:

expresso shot in the morning ( double with whole milk)
turkey breast, handfull of unsalted pistachio nuts, cheese stick

egg omelette with 3 eggs, tomatoe, onions,
1 tspn olive oil

lettuce with olive oil/ lime juice/ some type of fish or chicken ( 3.5 to 4 oz)
handfull of organic choc cookies

1/2 apple and cheese stick

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Is there any sugar in that morning coffee?
Also, it doesn't matter if your chocolate cookies are organic, even organic sugar is the devil. Really.

Dumping ALL grains and sugars makes a HUGE difference. Believe me. You should dump the cookies and replace them with something else, there are ton of choices. Other nuts or seeds, other fruits, or nut butters on fruits, etc.

Also, what is it with all the cheese sticks?

And you need more veggies that's for sure!

And I support the "throw the scale away" advise very strongly. You must learn to NOT care about your exact weight. If you're losing fat and gaining muscle, even if your bodyweight is still the same, how can you NOT be super happy?? Like other said, eventually you wont be adding muscle so quickly but the fat will continue to melt so if you're so concerned with your weight, it will drop.. but don't rush things by eating less or something crazy like that. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
John Stone

Profile:

Jenny, I've been doing CrossFit/531 hybrid for about 6 weeks now ( my log http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...234#post796234 WFS). I haven't lost a single pound, but I am starting to get a lot of comments ("you work out don't you" type stuff that no one ever said to me before).

I agree with previous people here -- if you are starting out pretty extremely out of shape (197lb female like you, 260lb male like me) your body will be busy strengthening itself at first to meet the new demands you are putting on it. That means gaining muscle-weight while you lose fat. My assumption is that once my muscle levels plateau, the fat loss will continue and that's where/ when I'll starting losing weight.

edit: Being in roughly the same boat as you, my personal opinion is that I agree in theory with what people are saying about dietary changes, but in practice I disagree. It's a tall order to completely change both your physical standards and your dietary standards. Instead, if your diet is as messed up as mine used to be, you can clean it up with some simple steps like eating less bread and more meats and vegetables. Swap out your white rice for brown rice. Try to cut sugar mostly out of your diet (your body converts a significant portion of sugar directly into fat every time you consume it). Replace candies and cookies with fruits. Simple things like that are a big step on their own, when you are just starting out.

Last edited by John Stone : 07-21-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
Jenny Gatison

Profile:

THank you Arturo. I am definetely starting to take those steps today.

I use raw honey in my coffee. Is that just as bad as sugar??