CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
Matt Haxmeier
Member Matt Haxmeier is offline
 
Matt Haxmeier's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Arvada  CO
Posts: 1,619
Re: 2010 Games Average Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Waiser View Post
Also, for those interested, here's the Women's averages (if I did the calcs right, which I think I did, but mine are rounded):

Age: 29
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 138
Max Deadlift: 303
Fight Gone Bad: 345
Max Back Squat: 221
Max Clean & Jerk: 157
Max Snatch: 121
Max Pullups: 32
Filthy Fifty Time: 22:31
Helen Time: 9:03
Fran Time: 4:12
Grace Time: 3:10
400m run time: 1:13
5K run time: 22:30
So I have a fighting chance at the games if nobody notices that I'm a guy. lol.

j/k, they'd trounce me too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
Lincoln Brigham
Member Lincoln Brigham is offline
 
Lincoln Brigham's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kirkland  WA
Posts: 3,987
Re: 2010 Games Average Competitor

I think the numbers reflect the current emphasis on sustained power.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
Andrew Bell
Member Andrew Bell is offline
 
Andrew Bell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 4,019
Re: 2010 Games Average Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel R Warneke View Post
Is there a nice spread sheet of this data, or did you copy and paste each person from the games site?
I put them in a excel spread sheet and did it that way but I didn't save it. Wouldn't be hard to do if you wanted me to send it to you.

Last edited by Andrew Bell : 07-02-2010 at 12:24 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
Joel R Warneke
Member Joel R Warneke is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 15
Re: 2010 Games Average Competitor

Thanks for offering to send me the data. I will copy and paste it during the world cup game today and play with some statistics.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
Jon Houle
Member Jon Houle is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto  ON Canada
Posts: 40
Re: 2010 Games Average Competitor

Andrew, how did you get the avg. height in Excel given that the data for height is in feet & inches?

Maybe that explains the discrepancy in the avg. competitor height for the men.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
Jon Houle
Member Jon Houle is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto  ON Canada
Posts: 40
Re: 2010 Games Average Competitor

As an aside, it seems to me that for the crop of 'worlds fittest guys' these guys aren't very fast. Except for Deric Marquin (52 sec in the 400m) every other 'fast' guy is in highschool girl territory as stated an other post (around 57 sec). Just for the sake of comparison, the world record holder's time in the year 1900 for the 400m was 47.8 seconds. Maybe we should start focusing on speed a little more in the programming (like CF Football). Might be an interested event to have something like a back to back 100m and 400m races. Lowest combined time gets first place.

Last edited by Jon Houle : 07-03-2010 at 01:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
Christopher G. Woods
Member Christopher G. Woods is offline
 
Christopher G. Woods's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ellicott City  MD
Posts: 2,119
Re: 2010 Games Average Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
I know the guys must not run flat out 400's very often (I know I haven't since moving to CF), but the 400 times are SLOOWWWW. Even by high school girl standards.
For true 400 times I would expect to see no slower than 55-56 seconds for these guys, with some as low as 48-49.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Houle View Post
As an aside, it seems to me that for the crop of 'worlds fittest guys' these guys aren't very fast. Except for Deric Marquin (52 sec in the 400m) every other 'fast' guy is in highschool girl territory as stated an other post (around 57 sec). Just for the sake of comparison, the world record holder's time in the year 1900 for the 400m was 47.8 seconds. Maybe we should start focusing on speed a little more in the programming (like CF Football). Might be an interested event to have something like a back to back 100m and 400m races. Lowest combined time gets first place.
You can't claim these guys are slow by comparing them to specialists, even high school aged ones. Your high school 400 runner might be faster, but he probably can't even bench his own bodyweight. Take a look at their average clean and jerk; 270# wouldn't even be competitive in the 60kg weight class, let alone 80kg. You could say the same for their squats and deadlifts; they'd have to be significantly higher (we're talking like 200# higher) to be considered competitive versus anyone who specializes in those events.

These guys aren't specialists, but that's the whole point. They might not be the fastest runners, but they're a lot stronger than the guys who are. They may not have the biggest squats, but they can run a lot faster than the guys who do. They may not be better at any one event than the 1% of the population that specializes in it, but they're better at it than the other 99% who don't.

You guys are obviously from track running backgrounds. Why don't you take a poll of all the people you know who never ran track, and see how many of them can run a sub 1:15 400.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #18
Júlíus Magnússon
Departed Júlíus Magnússon is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
 
Posts: 1,282
Re: 2010 Games Average Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
You can't claim these guys are slow by comparing them to specialists, even high school aged ones. Your high school 400 runner might be faster, but he probably can't even bench his own bodyweight. Take a look at their average clean and jerk; 270# wouldn't even be competitive in the 60kg weight class, let alone 80kg. You could say the same for their squats and deadlifts; they'd have to be significantly higher (we're talking like 200# higher) to be considered competitive versus anyone who specializes in those events.

These guys aren't specialists, but that's the whole point. They might not be the fastest runners, but they're a lot stronger than the guys who are. They may not have the biggest squats, but they can run a lot faster than the guys who do. They may not be better at any one event than the 1% of the population that specializes in it, but they're better at it than the other 99% who don't.

You guys are obviously from track running backgrounds. Why don't you take a poll of all the people you know who never ran track, and see how many of them can run a sub 1:15 400.
Exactly. The other numbers are equally "embarrassing" if you compare them to specialists.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: 2010 Games Average Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Exactly. The other numbers are equally "embarrassing" if you compare them to specialists.
I agree, except for the deadlifts, which aren't too bad in the context of powerlifting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
Christopher G. Woods
Member Christopher G. Woods is offline
 
Christopher G. Woods's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ellicott City  MD
Posts: 2,119
Re: 2010 Games Average Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
I know the guys must not run flat out 400's very often (I know I haven't since moving to CF), but the 400 times are SLOOWWWW. Even by high school girl standards.
For true 400 times I would expect to see no slower than 55-56 seconds for these guys, with some as low as 48-49.
469? No way bro. Guys at 75 kilos are pulling 600+ in raw competitions.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 CF Games Volunteers Britt Dowling Competitions 0 06-28-2010 06:33 AM
Catalyst Games 2010 Chris Cooper Competitions 0 04-28-2010 11:38 AM
If you qualified for the 2010 CF games... Brent Eno Fitness 12 02-01-2010 03:00 PM
Garage Games 2010 Donovan Conrad Competitions 13 01-22-2010 06:31 PM
Crossfit Games 2010 in CA Dasha Eudoxia Baez Competitions 0 04-27-2009 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.