CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Emily Seabridge

Profile:

Wings

There are few things in life that make me happier than wings. Hot, sweet, whatever, let me house as many as possible. But are they paleo? I understand that most places incorporate butter into the hot sauce (as is tradition), and they are deep fried. If I were to fry my own at home and make some kind of bacon fat/Frank's Red Hot sauce, am I alright?

Breaded wings are ****ed up and gross, and pointless in my opinion so I always go naked, so that's not the issue.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:
Re: Wings

yes, ideally, in the paleo/primal approach, you would use naturally raised/fed, free range chicken, and probably fired in bacon fat (from a wild range pig) and or coconut oil.

just be careful with the coconut oil, it isn't great at high tempertures.

i often do a coconut curry sauce for chicken...
Old 06-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Seabridge View Post
There are few things in life that make me happier than wings.
There are few things in life that make me happier than this quote.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Seabridge View Post
There are few things in life that make me happier than wings. Hot, sweet, whatever, let me house as many as possible. But are they paleo? I understand that most places incorporate butter into the hot sauce (as is tradition), and they are deep fried. If I were to fry my own at home and make some kind of bacon fat/Frank's Red Hot sauce, am I alright?

Breaded wings are ****ed up and gross, and pointless in my opinion so I always go naked, so that's not the issue.
That seems fine. You can always get some plain wings from the store, throw some spices on them, and bake them until done. A roommate of mine just did that this past week and they were awesome, only spices he used were garlic powder and cayenne powder. That or get them from a BBQ place, they normally just spice them up and smoke them.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Josh Paschedag

Profile:

You can make some pretty mean wings with just the chicken, Frank's Red Hot, and a slow cooker. Add in other spices as you see fit, if you want.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Emily Seabridge

Profile:

Ooo a slow cooker, that's a good idea!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Ben Kissam

Profile:

I grew up with wings cooked on the grill. I don't even like them fried that much because the grill makes them so good. Put some seasoning on them, maybe some spices and look for a paleo-ish bbq recipe. I live at home so I have the luxury of my mom cooking for me most of the time, and she makes a really good barbeque sauce that isn't completely paleo I don't think, but it's close.

But for real, try grilling them. Delicious.
My Training Blog 385# Back Squat|500# Deadlift|190# Press|4:58 Run 50k|9:53 Run 50 Miles
Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kissam View Post
I grew up with wings cooked on the grill. I don't even like them fried that much because the grill makes them so good. Put some seasoning on them, maybe some spices and look for a paleo-ish bbq recipe. I live at home so I have the luxury of my mom cooking for me most of the time, and she makes a really good barbeque sauce that isn't completely paleo I don't think, but it's close.

But for real, try grilling them. Delicious.
I see you're in MA. Have you ever tried the Tuscan wings at Bertucci's? Seasoned with lemon, rosemary, and cracked pepper, cooked in the wood-fired pizza oven. Very tasty, paleo, and easy to duplicate at home.

Katherine
Old 06-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
Ben Kissam

Profile:

Quote:
I see you're in MA. Have you ever tried the Tuscan wings at Bertucci's? Seasoned with lemon, rosemary, and cracked pepper, cooked in the wood-fired pizza oven. Very tasty, paleo, and easy to duplicate at home.

Katherine
Never really thought of Bertucci's as a place I could get my paleo on. Mostly just chipotle. Definitely going to have to give them a shot though next time I go out to eat. Thanks for the tip.
My Training Blog 385# Back Squat|500# Deadlift|190# Press|4:58 Run 50k|9:53 Run 50 Miles
Old 06-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kissam View Post
Never really thought of Bertucci's as a place I could get my paleo on. Mostly just chipotle. Definitely going to have to give them a shot though next time I go out to eat. Thanks for the tip.
You're right, most of the menu is absolutely not paleo. I wouldn't recommend them as a destination for paleophiles. But if you're with a group that wants to go there, you won't starve.

Katherine