CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
Max Army APFT

I have recently started Crossfit workouts during my deployment. I plan on joining an affiliate when I get home and taking it to the next level. I only have about 11 months left in the Army so I only have a couple of APFT's left. I want to leave on a high note and blow them out of the water. I think Crossfit will help out a lot but I am trying to figure out whether or not I should add some additional running. I am going back to barefoot running so I won't be running too much. I was thinking more about a run/walk until I am my feet are better conditioned.

In the opinion of the board do think that a little light running would hinder my progress?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Max Army APFT

It probably wouldn't hurt, but it may not be absolutely necessary. What's your current run time and how much do you need to cut it to max the PFT? Do you have any fitness goals aside from the PFT?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Whatever your current times are, your improvement on the APFT will come significantly slower with CF than it would with a program designed to max the APFT.

CF is not a path to running excellence or high rep pushups and situps. Yes, you will hear some stories about the guy who only did CF and only ran 800 meters intervals twice over six months and improved from 15:15 to 12:00. But that's the exception and not the rule. Most CFers cannot max the APFT and it's not that hard to max.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

If you want to max the APFT then the fastest way would be to do the APFT, sub maximal sets, timed sets, volume, volume, volume.

I'm training for AF ST selection and I can say with confidence that crossfit didn't put me over the 20+ deadhang Pullup mark, or knock my run times through the floor etc etc.

Grease the groove man. It will definitely improve general work capacity and fitness but won't specifically make you start pumping out 100+ pushups at a time.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Rob Shaul of Military Athlete has an 6 week APFT plan. I've never seen it, but from the operator workouts he makes, I'm sure it will be hardcore.

You can buy it here for $25. If I recall correctly, before it was only avaliable to members of the military and for free. You could shoot him an email and see if that's still true.

http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=51
Old 06-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
David McGlame

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
Rob Shaul of Military Athlete has an 6 week APFT plan. I've never seen it, but from the operator workouts he makes, I'm sure it will be hardcore.

You can buy it here for $25. If I recall correctly, before it was only avaliable to members of the military and for free. You could shoot him an email and see if that's still true.

http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=51
It's still free for mil as of a couple months ago.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
Michael J Beggs

Profile:

I am normally a 14-14:30 two miler. When I concentrate on running I can get below 13 minutes. When I do that my pushups suffer a bit though. I want to strike a balance. I have been gimped up a bit and I had to cut back on the running. My goal is to do 100 pushups, 100 situps, and run a 13 minute two mile. Two miles is a relatively short distance so I am starting to think that a lot of endurance work might not be necessary.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Jeff Binek

Profile:

I rarely add in running to my crossfit, and I have had a 300 for a few years running now...Here would be my recommendation. Do regular Crossfit 3 on 1 off, Main page or whatever you want, but one day per 6 day cycle add in this: Tabata Push-Ups, Tabata Sit-Ups (unanchored) and Tabata Sprints. Then on 1 of the rest days do a light 3-4 mile recovery run @ around 7:30-8min. That is if you really want to though, personally I have found that just sticking to crossfit and really putting your all into the WoDs increases aerobic capacity better than any running will. The only thing that I have found is my feet will hurt after 2 miles because they aren't used to the distance anymore. (thus recovery run)
Old 06-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Although sidenote: my last APFT I ran in Converse All-Stars and ran a 12:21. That may have been why my feet hurt hah.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
Joe C Thomas

Profile:

I was a Platoon Trainer at Engineer OBC and I helped a lot of LTs get into Ranger, Sapper and Army Diver. Honestly, the best way we found is to do a lot of speed work. That goes for Pushups, Situps, and running. Try max reps for 1 min, 45 sec, 30 sec for PU and SU. That will teach you to do them faster which is key. I would also suggest a couple days a week of 100 pushups and 100 situps straight, no matter how long it takes, just keep going until you get 100, go to knees if you have to. Don't worry about recovery too much, you could do it 6 days a week and not be too bad off but listen to your body.

As far as running, 2 miles is about speed more than endurance. Work 400 yds at your goal pace. For you I would say 1:20, and do 8 intervals of that. Once you can do that step it up to 800 yds for 3 min intervals and do 4 intervals. Jog a lap in between intervals. Once you get all of those, just try to get faster on the 800s, you won't need more distance than that.

CRUCIAL
Take a mock PT test once every two weeks, at least! Nothing prepares you for being graded like being graded. PT tests are mostly mental and getting over the anxiety. Good luck!