CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Laurentius Joseph

Profile:
Level trainer

First Question.

1.What is level 3 trainer? I thought that theres only 2 level?

2. I just got my level 1 and will be going to the prep coach in aug. Is that too early? I've been crosfitting for a year.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
Diego Sommariva

Profile:
Re: Level trainer

It all depends on how well you communicate, are able to teach, and are able to detect faults in others' technique. Personally I would suggest taking some time teaching others and learning the ins and outs of coaching before hitting the Coaches Prep Course. I've learnt a ton since I've been doing this. Granted, the level 2 certificate sure would look good, but considering it is on hold until CF obtains the necessary credentials have you considered why you want or need it?
I've not heard of a level 3. Where have you seen this?

Diego
Old 06-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Bill Houghton

Profile:

Laurentius,

I would recommend the coaches prep course as soon as possible. The level one is "a mile wide and 2 inches deep" and the coaches prep course goes into a lot more depth on coaching, programming, technique, running a class, safety, etc... I have minimal experience training but the coaches prep course increased my confidence a lot.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Laurentius Joseph

Profile:

I was looking at the affiliates gym and stated their qualification as level 3 trainer. I don't know where they get it from. Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius Joseph View Post
I was looking at the affiliates gym and stated their qualification as level 3 trainer. I don't know where they get it from. Thanks for the replies guys!
I think Level 3 trainer is a legit credential. I don't know if there was ever a Level 3 cert, or whether the title was simply bestowed by CFHQ, but a few individuals do have it. These are basically the people who teach the Level 2 certs, I think. I think it's obsolete under the new certification regime, though.

Katherine
Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
Ian Nigh

Profile:

It is my understanding that the Level 3 cert has gone the way of the dinosaur and hails from a time when there was absolutely no testing whatsoever at any level.
Under the new ANSI regime, even holders of the old Level III must go back and take the Level I test. At least that is my understanding after talking with several folks over the weekend. Please correct me if I am wrong!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

Yup Ian, EVERYONE who has not taken a test must take one, even if they have a level 2. They must first take the level 1 and once the level 2 is accredited they must take that one. Current level 1 certs are valid only until December 31, 2011.

Diego