CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Erik von Hoch

Profile:
Paleo Coffee???

Ok, so my GF and I have decided to do the 30 day Paleo challenge and keep the paleo going from there on out (I may need to add Dairy to meet caloric needs...). She was wondering, and I had no clue, about coffee. I thought that black coffee was ok, but the creamer (even the fat/sugar free kind) was not allowed. What about the non-dairy creamers? Are those ok for moderate use? Although I think that if I can get her to go 100% Paleo with the exception of 1-2 cups of coffee with non-dairy creamer she'd be ok? Thoughts? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Paleo Coffee???

"but the creamer (even the fat/sugar free kind) was not allowed. What about the non-dairy creamers? Are those ok for moderate use? Although I think that if I can get her to go 100% Paleo with the exception of 1-2 cups of coffee with non-dairy creamer she'd be ok? Thoughts? Thanks for the "

How is non dairy creamer more paleo than heavy cream or half and half? Heavy cream is a dairy product where non dairy creamer is a chemistry product.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik von Hoch View Post
Ok, so my GF and I have decided to do the 30 day Paleo challenge and keep the paleo going from there on out (I may need to add Dairy to meet caloric needs...). She was wondering, and I had no clue, about coffee. I thought that black coffee was ok, but the creamer (even the fat/sugar free kind) was not allowed. What about the non-dairy creamers? Are those ok for moderate use? Although I think that if I can get her to go 100% Paleo with the exception of 1-2 cups of coffee with non-dairy creamer she'd be ok? Thoughts? Thanks for the help!
If you're doing the 30 day challenge outlined by Melissa Byers, then try to avoid caffeine altogether if you can for reasons explained in her blog.

If you're just "going paleo" for 30 days, and need your caffeine... black coffee only. She'll get used to it. If she needs some sort of transition to mentally prepare her for that, try this method:

1) Fill 1 cup of coffee with whatever creamer/sweetener you normally do, and drink 1/2 of it
2) Refill cup to the top with black coffee, and drink half of it.
3) Refill cup to the top with black coffee, and drink the rest down.

That's 2 cups of coffee with lesser degrees of sweetener and creamer. Or, she can just man up and drink it black. It's not that bad.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Renee Lee

Profile:

if you need to put something in your coffee that's not paleo approved, cream should be where you go.

you can experiment with almond/coconut milks as well, which are perfectly paleo
Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Erik von Hoch

Profile:

Oh, never thought about using the coconut milk! She does want to do the challenge with me, but isn't 100% on board with the no caffeine deal. I'm really pumped about starting this lifestyle and would very much like her to be a part of it as well, but don't want to force something she's either a.) not into or b.) not ready for. I figured if she was doing something she didn't like then she wouldn't stick with it (i.e. making it harder for me! lol) So I want to bring her in slowly at her pace so she sticks with it. She's on board for the food choices as we pretty much don't eat much grain or dairy now. Just some cheese on eggs and creamer in coffee. It's easy enough for me to give up coffee, I only have 1 cup in the morning and have come off soda completely. I'll suggest the coconut milk and see what she thinks, otherwise I'll have her stick to the creamer and have her try the adding coffee a little at a time idea. Thanks again guys!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik von Hoch View Post
Oh, never thought about using the coconut milk! She does want to do the challenge with me, but isn't 100% on board with the no caffeine deal. I'm really pumped about starting this lifestyle and would very much like her to be a part of it as well, but don't want to force something she's either a.) not into or b.) not ready for. I figured if she was doing something she didn't like then she wouldn't stick with it (i.e. making it harder for me! lol) So I want to bring her in slowly at her pace so she sticks with it. She's on board for the food choices as we pretty much don't eat much grain or dairy now. Just some cheese on eggs and creamer in coffee. It's easy enough for me to give up coffee, I only have 1 cup in the morning and have come off soda completely. I'll suggest the coconut milk and see what she thinks, otherwise I'll have her stick to the creamer and have her try the adding coffee a little at a time idea. Thanks again guys!
you don't mean "non dairy creamer" right? you mean real cream or half and half?

cause all of the commenters thus far have said that real cream from a real cow is FAR greater than the chemistry experiment that is non dairy creamer
Old 06-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Bite the bullet and go to the dark side. That's what I did when I started paleo and I love it.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
James Forshaw

Profile:

What's the deal with cream in coffee in America? I've never seen anybody in the UK use anything but milk. Have you tried it? It tastes just fine, and a little dash of milk every now and then isn't going to make much of a difference to anybody's diet.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw View Post
What's the deal with cream in coffee in America? I've never seen anybody in the UK use anything but milk. Have you tried it? It tastes just fine, and a little dash of milk every now and then isn't going to make much of a difference to anybody's diet.
what's the deal with milk in tea in the UK? i've never seen anybody in the US drink their tea with any additives but sugar. it tastes just fine black.

...now do you see how ridiculous of a question that was?
Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
James Forshaw

Profile:

No, Renee, I don't. A splash of milk in your coffee will hardly add up calorie-wise even if you have a few cups a day, whereas cream will.

Ask 100 people in America what dairy product goes in coffee, most will say cream. Ask the same in the UK, most will say milk. So no, I do not agree that it was a ridiculous question.