CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Justin Gambone

Profile:
Active Recovery on Rest Days

What sort of stuff do you guys do on your rest days? I've heard of some poeple just doing some skill work and others taking the day completely off and going about daily activities. I usually will do something like the CFE circuit reccommended for after long runs or some mobility drills. Would it be taking away from my recovery to throw in some skill work on handstands or oly lifts?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Tim Barker

Profile:
Re: Active Recovery on Rest Days

It depends on what day my rest day falls on. If it is Monday or Wednesday, I will go to the local gymnastics gym and work skills during the open gym times. (5$ for the night)

If it is any other day of the week I usually do parallete work. HS, HSPU, L sits, etc.

Every now and then I'll actually take the day off completely. Maybe take the boys for a hike or something, but nothing overly tough.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I train 6 days a week. Five of these days, I do either main page programming or programming provided by my local affiliate. One day out of the week, usually in the middle of it, I'll take a bit of a rest day. I still will go for a walk or ride my bike around town or work on double-unders, get-ups, etc.. Every Sunday, I take the day completely off.

Mostly depends on how you're feeling. With the way I eat and recover, I could train hard every day most weeks (except for those WODs that hit you like a ton of bricks and you can't move the next day). If your calves hurt, use common sense and do some upper body skill work. If your shoulders hurt, jump rope, work on double-unders or something. If everything hurts, rest. It is just as important. I'm sure you haven't heard that enough already.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

This little thing called "learn and play new sports" might be a good idea?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
This little thing called "learn and play new sports" might be a good idea?
You don't think some sports might be a bit too much for an active rest day? I'm not doubting the recovery master, just inquiring.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
You don't think some sports might be a bit too much for an active rest day? I'm not doubting the recovery master, just inquiring.
Yeah, the 3-on-3 playground basketball championship might be too intense, but a friendly shoot around wouldn't be. No matter what the sport, there's going to be an "easy" level.

And if you decide you love it and want to go all out? There are worse things than missing a CF workout because you're recovering from a sport.

Katherine
Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Yeah, the 3-on-3 playground basketball championship might be too intense, but a friendly shoot around wouldn't be. No matter what the sport, there's going to be an "easy" level.

And if you decide you love it and want to go all out? There are worse things than missing a CF workout because you're recovering from a sport.

Katherine
Pretty much this.

You don't have to go all out learning and playing new sports. Just focus moreso on the "skill" aspects of learning instead of metabolically blowing yourself out.

The whole thing with learning the new sports is learning the skills which convey a wide range of proprioceptive ability in most cases.

If you wanted the metabolic blowout you would just do a workout instead.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

Katherine
I had visions of Will Smith playin' b-ball outside of the school when I read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Pretty much this.

You don't have to go all out learning and playing new sports. Just focus moreso on the "skill" aspects of learning instead of metabolically blowing yourself out.

The whole thing with learning the new sports is learning the skills which convey a wide range of proprioceptive ability in most cases.

If you wanted the metabolic blowout you would just do a workout instead.

Gotcha.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Sean Smith

Profile:

You know you can be a little tired and still work out with 100% intensity. Yes, your times will suffer a bit but you can do it. I don't really care how I feel on regular WOD days. I'll still go and work out every other rest day. I don't post awesome times on WOD's but I just like working out 6 days a week.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Sean,

You do not get fitter by training. You get fitter from recovering from working out.