CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Eddie Gulley

Profile:
CrossFit after Heart Bypass

Well, much to my dismay, I am not bullet proof and had to have a quadruple heart bypass. Its been a month and I'm feeling great. Quick and strong recovery can be attributed to CrossFit in my opinion.

Now, how to get back on the horse and start WODs again after the sternum heals? Any experience with same or opinions from the wise here on the boards? I did not have a heart attack so no heart muscle damage to contend with just lots of recent irregular chest pain found all 4 main arteries 100% blocked due to inherited, very high cholesterol levels.

45 yo male, 5'9", 190 lbs. Crossfitting for 2 years and was regularly on about a 80-90% scaling of the main page WOD on a 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off schedule. I am currently walking with doctor's approval 2 30 minute sessions per day with good strength. It will be another 8-10 weeks before I can begin lifting more than 10-20 pounds.

Thanks,

Eddie
Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: CrossFit after Heart Bypass

Are you absolutely sure that you have hypercholesterolemia from genetics?

Have you gone Paleo + fish oil + vitamin D to see if that can lower that down?

Anyway, exercise will likely be good for you... but check back with your surgeon on what you can expect with wanting to work out after the bypass...
Old 05-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Eddie Gulley

Profile:

Steven,

Yes, absolutely sure. Confirmed thru medical testing and the fact that even on Ornish, Strict Paleo, the Zone etc. my numbers are still horrible. Normal diet and no Statins my total creeps above 400 with HDL in the 20s. Strict diets as mentioned and Statins keeps it in the low 200s but HDL never above 25. My triglycerides are always good just high total and ldl and low HDL. Ornish, Paleo and Zone seem to improve the LDL type i.e. bigger LDL type but doesn't seem to stop the plaque buildup.

My doctor tells me I will be absolutely able to do whatever exercise as strenuously as I want once my sternum heals.

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 05-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

That sucks.

I would definitely keep up high fish oil intake if that's the case.

If your doc says you're a go then go for it!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Eddie

Sorry for what you're going through. It's a shame that even with all your efforts to stay healthy the genetics got in the way. Good luck to you and hope you heal fast and are back to 100% soon!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

eddie... some people complain of various surgical site pain up to a year post op. Most complain the wires used in the sternum closure are the source.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Carlo Mattia

Profile:

Eddie,
just to make you feel better I have a guy that trains with me (he is my hero) He is 52 years old and he had a total of eight procedures preformed on his heart. everything from stents to a laser burned channel in his heart to correct the exercised induced irregular heart beat, and last but not least open heart surgery. he has a pacemaker implanted in his chest, and just found out that his right lung is acting at 1/2 of its total capacity.
HE GET'S AT IT!!!!! so you should be just fine
best of luck and a speedy recovery.

FATIGUE MAKES COWARDS OUT OF MEN
Old 06-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
Wayne Hinton

Profile:

Hi Eddie: I am 61 and have been doing CF for 2.5 years. In January, I had a heart attack and had to have a stent put in. I started back with CF after a two week rest. I scaled as I needed and paced myself so I didn't get too winded. The best think is to listen to your body and rest during the WOD as you need to. I was worried about doing too much, too soon, but my coach and the people at the gym were very supportive. Now I am back to normal and better than before, since my heart is now unblocked. The only area which is less is how much weight I can lift. This may take some time to get back. I am down about 30 lbs on DLs, for example. Be patient, it will all come back soon!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Lou Cabales

Profile:

how do you manage fish oil intake with respect to long term anticoagulant therapy?
Old 06-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Cabales View Post
how do you manage fish oil intake with respect to long term anticoagulant therapy?
Vitamin K2.

Ask your doc though.. if you're getting good quality fish oil (and they know EPA is anti-coagulent) they may allow you to ditch regular anti-coags for your fish oil intake.

But that's only if they're in the know really..... so shrug.