CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #21
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Re: The masters competition is a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gagnon View Post
No. As I said later in my post those things happen. There is a fine line but this is an obvious oversight no one based on personal judgment.

Ive been to one of the sectionals/regional and so its not like I am just shooting from the hip. There is a ton of work that is involved. I also know that if the events are known in advance to all those who are organizing them they should try their best to have everyone on the same playing field. CFHQ could have required the events to be indoors for instance. Whatever.

I am not saying that it is easy or the people involved have an agenda or just dont give two ****s. I know it takes time and money - I have been there. My point is that since this event was the exact same event held everywhere and timed against one another, the playing field should be similar. Doing DUs in a gym compared to a grass field is not similar. No you dont need to bring in Glassman, Budding, etc to judge all the events, no you dont need to have climate controlled rooms...Everyone admits there will be some bumps in the road but when someone points them out it seems it gets everyone's panties in a bunch. The OP didnt come across the right way but he has a valid complaint.

Eric,

The venues had been chosen before the events had been announced. The events were chosen to minimize the possibility of judging disparity, as much as possible. Consideration of the "ground"/ temperature, etc. obviously never made it to the center of the bullseye in this, the first CF event where identical judged workouts are taking place in multiple locations and distant athletes are competing against one another.

What rankles, frankly, is the tone taken by the OP (and the fact that he is rather prolific in his posts all over the CF universe despite his apparent CF youth) on this issue. I spoke of something like this on a "Sunday musings" a couple of weeks ago. There is an ascription or assumption of bad faith regarding CF HQ and the CF management on the part of the OP and others in this and other issues. It's inappropriate and misplaced.

Why is that? Why is it that the OP (and you by extension in your defense of the OP) take this stance? Why is it that the response isn't something more like "(chuckle) phew...there was so much on the plates of the really small CF paid staff that they missed this small but potientially key point"? Multiple Sectionals funnel into Super Regionals funnel into a new venue chosen late because of govt. issues in Aroma and a new event (the Masters) is layered onto all of this and it's a different format and all of a sudden Crossfit is the Evil Empire and someone at CFHQ is Darth Vader? Seriously?

It's tone, Eric. Tone and perspective. The community asks for a Masters event and CFHQ comes through! THAT'S the story.

Tone and perspective.

--bingo
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #22
James R. Climer

Profile:

In trying to put this discussion into perspective, I have searched
in vain for a simple listing of what the Masters Competition WODs were.

Where can I find this list?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #23
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Climer View Post
In trying to put this discussion into perspective, I have searched
in vain for a simple listing of what the Masters Competition WODs were.

Where can I find this list?
wfs - names of WODs (self explanatory) and results
http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scoring/masters/
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #24
Eric Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Eric,

The venues had been chosen before the events had been announced. The events were chosen to minimize the possibility of judging disparity, as much as possible. Consideration of the "ground"/ temperature, etc. obviously never made it to the center of the bullseye in this, the first CF event where identical judged workouts are taking place in multiple locations and distant athletes are competing against one another.

What rankles, frankly, is the tone taken by the OP (and the fact that he is rather prolific in his posts all over the CF universe despite his apparent CF youth) on this issue. I spoke of something like this on a "Sunday musings" a couple of weeks ago. There is an ascription or assumption of bad faith regarding CF HQ and the CF management on the part of the OP and others in this and other issues. It's inappropriate and misplaced.

Why is that? Why is it that the OP (and you by extension in your defense of the OP) take this stance? Why is it that the response isn't something more like "(chuckle) phew...there was so much on the plates of the really small CF paid staff that they missed this small but potientially key point"? Multiple Sectionals funnel into Super Regionals funnel into a new venue chosen late because of govt. issues in Aroma and a new event (the Masters) is layered onto all of this and it's a different format and all of a sudden Crossfit is the Evil Empire and someone at CFHQ is Darth Vader? Seriously?

It's tone, Eric. Tone and perspective. The community asks for a Masters event and CFHQ comes through! THAT'S the story.

Tone and perspective.

--bingo
Having a masters event is the true story for sure. Congrats to HQ for that! You are also correct about tone which is what I briefly touched on in my last post. The OPs tone sucked, some of the responses to him followed suit. Where I stepped in was when someone posted saying that who cares, just do it... That is true, just do it, BUT you cant say that one group did not have an advantage over the other due to conditions that I feel could have been controlled. That point - that there was an advantage, seemed to be overlooked. My perspective.

My initial perspective may have been off due to the fact that I do not know every step/detail that took place in regards to logistics. My bad for not knowing the details leading up to the event. Next time I hope "small details" are taken into consideration because I do feel like it will make or brake someones chances in the end. Maybe a few more who did the WOD on grass have faster times on a hard surface and make the cut? Maybe it was an advantage? Who knows. I bet there is a lot going on at HQ especially since they had to get a new place to hold the events this year, add in regionals, sectionals, new certs, etc. It is a crazy business and I am sure this is a small drop in a large bucket. That large bucket wouldn't be there if it weren't for all the drops.

I think my point has been brought up enough and I know you get it.

Like you said, lets applaud the masters division, and the games in general. It will be fun to watch.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #25
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
wfs - names of WODs (self explanatory) and results
http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scoring/masters/
I saw that, it's not that S.E., never heard of double-under helen (double under instead of running?),

max thruster I get OK, ...

...C2B (chest to bar standard on the pullups?)

Anyway, I'm grateful to see a Masters Division created, you can't train away age, period.

I haven't very often been successful in competitions of any sort. I suppose I could usually claim some sort of circumstance beyond my control kept me out of the running, but at 50 years of age, I prefer to be honest with myself and admit that most of my life I've just been almost good enough.

Last edited by James R. Climer : 05-12-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: a light bulb went off in my head
Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #26
Peter Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
Aaron:

Sorry you were disappointed in the event. Joe did very well and we are all big fans of him and the Toledo crew.

We had the number one and number five men's competitor come out of the Central East regional. The best times and thruster numbers came from our region.

The regional has grown from the parking lot behind our warehouse to the Arnold Sectional and Central East Regional. I am certain things will improve as the years go by.

Thanks,

Bill
Classy post, Bill.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #27
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

I have to say I'd be upset too if I paid to go to a competition and was put at a disadvantage, regardless of the abilities of the organizers, money or experience wise. Back in college when I used to fence, I would go to local tournaments. I would pay my $20 or so, drive a few hours, and I wasn't half bad. But even with nothing more than my $20 and pride on the line, it can be pretty upsetting when one person/team has an advantage over the other, especially when the advantage can be mitigated. It was a bit different in that you were directly competing with the other person in front of you, but the point is valid. There is a reason running tracks have different start points, no one would tell the runner in the outside lane to suck it up. Being the first year allows for a lot of leeway, but it dosen't mean the first runner on the outside lane of the first oval track dosen't have a valid complaint.

That said, it sounds like they weren't trying to do it, and clearly are taking notes on how to improve. I'd think it would be more than a safe bet for next year.

Now registering for a forum just to troll...

Last edited by Allen Tluczek : 05-12-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #28
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burch View Post
I had a good time, only wish I could master the double unders and I could be right in the mix, I knew when I signed up that it would be an issue But I thought I could learn them in time, maybe with another year it will happen, because I would like to come back and try again
5 set of 10 DUs every day as part of your warm-up (if you don't make 10 in a row you can't count the set)... and video yourself to see where things go wrong!! This was a big one for me. Then I switched to 100 a day (no requirement for number in a row) for a while as part of my warm-up... now I got 'em, but it took me a while.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #29
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
That said, it sounds like they weren't trying to do it, and clearly are taking notes on how to improve. I'd think it would be more than a safe bet for next year.
Isn't the thread starter trying to offer a suggestion on how to improve?
Old 05-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #30
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Kellerman View Post
5 set of 10 DUs every day as part of your warm-up (if you don't make 10 in a row you can't count the set)
I'm so trying this.