CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
Kevin Penner

Profile:
Re: The masters competition is a joke!

Where does it end?....Competitors crying FOUL if there heat is in the middle of the afternoon while another is in the cool of the morning.....I have athletes in my gym complain of the same thing..."His time was better because he did it when it was 5 degrees cooler" Seriously! I will say to you what I say to them...Suck it up!.....I will gladly go when its not the best "Time" or use the "crappy" bar or preform my lift on on even ground and still BEAT YOU!
I had the pleasure of watching the SW Regional and Masters Comp....And thought it was done with integrity
Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
Eric Gagnon

Profile:

How hard is it to realize that if you are holding a competition across the country that the setup should be the same across the board? Who cares if the paralettes are 1.75' or 3' apart, that is not the point. The point is that the paralettes should be equal distance for all competitors, if one does DU's on grass than everyone must do them on grass. Wonder why CFHQ didnt let the area create its own preapproved workouts for the region for the Masters division like the sectionals and regionals?

Yeah there are going to be some differences here and there, some judges hold competitors to different standards than others but that is just human error/nature. At least even the playing field with items you can control.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
Greg Major

Profile:
The masters competition isn't a joke!

Why was it that some people could do double unders on the grass and other couldn't? I competed in the North Central Region. I wouldn't have mattered where I was doing my DU's, they still would have sucked. If you're going to take the top 15 from around the world, my guess is all of those in the top 15 could do DU's in wheat field standing on a cow pile. Ok, a slight exaggeration. But clearly the best competitors were able to do them in the same conditions that others couldn't. Could it be better? Yes, and I'm sure next year it will be.
Aaron, you've been on every CrossFit forum and left comments wherever you could with the same message. We get it. I'm sure CFHQ gets it. Let's give it a rest.
It was a great experience and a total blast. I can't wait until next year and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they throw at the geezers this year.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #14
Aaron Lengel

Profile:

Good! If the words out I'm happy...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
Tom Reyes

Profile:

It doesn't matter the size or shape of the container, cream always rises to the top. Those who adapted to the conditions best posted the best times. It there a better way to have equal footing across the competitions? I'm sure there is. Nothing is ever perfectly fair to everyone. As far as calling names... Sorry if I offended you, your tone came across to me as "sour grapes." I get that, there are times that I feel slighted during crossfit workouts/challenges, too. I chose not to respond then figuring it was in the heat of the moment, whatever. After Henninger responded, and did apologize to you, and stated he thought things will continue to improve, is obviously wasn't enough. I felt offended by your "quota" comment. You wanted to continue the dialogue. So I added my $0.02; you didn't like what you heard. Grow some callouses and thicken your skin. This is Crossfit, deal with it and stop whining. Embrace the suck and march on. Cream will continue to rise. Maybe next year you could step up and offer to run the masters portion of your regional games.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Lengel View Post
Tom, I appreciate the name calling... my whole point with all of this is to let people know what happened. The competitors wouldn't say anything because people like you would call them whiners and tell them to get over it. You don't know me I don't know you so I could care less. I know nothing can be done about it this year. But if no one knows what happened then what's to keep it from happening again next year. I'm sure some of the masters competitors showed up to get a great workout, IMO that's an expensive workout! But I know other competitors trained hard so they could compete against people there own age with the hopes of winning. What if it had rained at the Central East Regionals? Not unthinkable May weather in Ohio. The masters competitors would have done the WOD to the best of their ability and it would have been awesome to watch but how can you have a competition where those times are posted against someone who did C2B Cindy on a dry bar? My point is you can't and if you are organizing a COMPETITION, not just any other WOD, then you need to put a little more thought into it.

I'll admit my first post was written in the heat of the moment but my intent was to start a dialogue not to enter into pointless name calling, which you did Tom not me.
Dude,

You joined this board to complain about this and you're mad that somebody called you a whiny b_? Really?

This message board is over it's quota for whiners and conspiracy theorists.
Yes, the CF staff is out to get you personally. Of course you know better than anybody who responds to you. Run along now.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
Aaron Lengel

Profile:

So after reflecting on all of this I want to say I love Crossfit and the community. I apoligize for signing up to start a fire storm in your community. I posted my original post out of frustration and didn't mean to take anything away from the men and women that competed. The effort and energy they put forth is amazing. I have a lot of respect for them and didn't mean to infer their effort was a joke. With that said I hope in the future some of these issues are addressed and look forward to watching it grow. Sorry to have come across as a whiny conspiracy theorist... that was not my intent.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gagnon View Post
How hard is it to realize that if you are holding a competition across the country that the setup should be the same across the board?
So we should fly the same judges across the country too to ensure everyone is judged exactly the same? Where does it end?

As someone who volunteered at the sectionals @ the arnold, I can say that it takes a ***** of a lot of effort to put one of these things on. Is everything going to go on without a hitch? Of course not. And Crossfit is surely not a professional sports organization with endle$$ funding. I think everyone should consider what it takes to put one of these events on, and consider some solutions before throwing out complaints.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #19
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
So we should fly the same judges across the country too to ensure everyone is judged exactly the same? Where does it end?

As someone who volunteered at the sectionals @ the arnold, I can say that it takes a ***** of a lot of effort to put one of these things on. Is everything going to go on without a hitch? Of course not. And Crossfit is surely not a professional sports organization with endle$$ funding. I think everyone should consider what it takes to put one of these events on, and consider some solutions before throwing out complaints.
I second the sentiment...
I judged at the 2009 Regionals in VA Beach, and 2010 Sectionals in Annandale... people need to understand that the organizers go out of pocket to get the facilities that they need to hold these events. They are guessing that they'll be able to get done what they need to get done with the landscape and equipment they have at their disposal - but there are no guarantees.

FYI- nobody gets "paid" at these events. If judges got paid or even reimbursed for their expenses (most of us traveled several hours to get to VA Beach last year and paid for hotels out of our own pocket -- I'm sure many can say the same for attending in Annandale this year), they'd probably be required to pass a test so that judging standards were, well, umm - standardized.

Could that be solved by having everyone be Level 2? No - probably not, because there aren't enough Level 2 people, and of those who are, several are actually competing at these events!

We're going to have growing pains for a while - but hopefully we'll reach a point where they are less and less noticeable.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #20
Eric Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post

No. As I said later in my post those things happen. There is a fine line but this is an obvious oversight no one based on personal judgment.

Ive been to one of the sectionals/regional and so its not like I am just shooting from the hip. There is a ton of work that is involved. I also know that if the events are known in advance to all those who are organizing them they should try their best to have everyone on the same playing field. CFHQ could have required the events to be indoors for instance. Whatever.

I am not saying that it is easy or the people involved have an agenda or just dont give two ****s. I know it takes time and money - I have been there. My point is that since this event was the exact same event held everywhere and timed against one another, the playing field should be similar. Doing DUs in a gym compared to a grass field is not similar. No you dont need to bring in Glassman, Budding, etc to judge all the events, no you dont need to have climate controlled rooms...Everyone admits there will be some bumps in the road but when someone points them out it seems it gets everyone's panties in a bunch. The OP didnt come across the right way but he has a valid complaint.