CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Aaron Lengel

Profile:
The masters competition is a joke!

I just wanted to say I'm disappointed in the poor level of standardization for the masters competition. You can't have people competing against each other for time but have some people compete inside and some people compete outside. The reason they didn't include a run is because you can't standardize it. Yet they have groups of people doing double unders in gyms and others in an uneven feild with grass that catches the rope. These competitors had to do max thrusters on uneven ground and compare their weights to others on a gym floor. How are you going to compare those times and weights? I'm so disappointed in the organizers of the Central East event for their lack of planning/care for the masters competitors and for Crossfit HQ for not finding better quality people to put the event on. What a freakin joke!
Old 05-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: The masters competition is a joke!

Hi!
Welcome to the CF forums!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Aaron Lengel

Profile:

I'm sorry to be that guy... it's just really frustrating to see people pour themselves into something and then have it taken away due to poor planning. I love crossfit but man, more than a years worth of work gone for multiple people. It's not right and I think people should know about it so things can change in the future. Thanks for saying hi...
Old 05-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
Matth Challoner

Profile:

If that is the case they should really have planned it a lot better
Old 05-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Sigh...

A little perspective might be in order here. This is year 4 of the Crossfit Games, year 2 or Qualifiers, year one of 2 levels of qualifiers, and year 1 of Masters events with multiple locations all folding into a single result. This first Masters event is, in fact, an exhibition, openly considered an experiment in holding a parallel competition with the Games.

So, judging by that standard, there will be what, 6 separate venues that will send a total of 15 (?) competitors to Cali for an exhibition, the first time that CF has held an event with on site judging where the exact same events were done and the athletes are competing agains all comers at all venues. Remember, all other Sectionals and Regionals were mostly programmed locally.

So...might it be done better in the future? Of course. Each year has brought new and cool developments, and new and less cool growing pains. And, each year has outgrown expectations and consequently outgrown the previous year's logistical assets.

Post #2? A little perspective might be in order.

bingo
Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
William Henniger

Profile:

Aaron:

Sorry you were disappointed in the event. Joe did very well and we are all big fans of him and the Toledo crew.

We had the number one and number five men's competitor come out of the Central East regional. The best times and thruster numbers came from our region.

The regional has grown from the parking lot behind our warehouse to the Arnold Sectional and Central East Regional. I am certain things will improve as the years go by.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
John Burch

Profile:

I had a good time, only wish I could master the double unders and I could be right in the mix, I knew when I signed up that it would be an issue But I thought I could learn them in time, maybe with another year it will happen, because I would like to come back and try again
Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Aaron Lengel

Profile:

Darrell, I understand what you're saying... if it's an exhibition though call it an exhibition. Then you can still have the old guys out and film an inspitational video to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy. Don't call it a competition, don't charge them money, and don't advance people to the next level. But it is a competition... Bill has put on a number of successful events, so it's not like he can't do it. For someone who's put on other events it should have been pretty apparent that there were going to be some issues with the setup. I think that's what leaves such a bad taste. It comes across as if people looked at the masters competition and thought, "Oh well, it's only the masters it's not really that important."

Bill, as I said above it seems like the masters was an after thought for you. Even the way you say, "We had the number one and number five men's competitor come out of the Central East regional." Like you met your quota and you're happy with it. The reality is, your setup put competitors in our region at a disadvantage. On an equal playing field there likely would have been others to qualify from our region. That's not right. It's easy to dismiss them but those are people that put in a ton of work that just gets negated. There wasn't even an apoligy offered. No, "Sorry guys we kind of blew that one. We're really sorry." All they got was... it's the first year, that's the way it goes. That sucks. My question is, if Crossfit does decide to do this again next year, will it be any different? Why should people prepare for an event that the people organizing don't really care about?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #9
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Did the guys come out and get a great workout? Do I hear any of the competetors complaining that they have been cheated? Crossfit is a means to an end. That end is getting in the best possible shape, and to be prepared for whatever gets thrown your way. If it's raining, do the WOD. If it's a poor surface, do the WOD. If you don't like the width between the paralettes, guess what, do the WOD. Do you have any idea how much time, effort and plannng goes into a competition? I'm sure everyone involved wanted to have as smooth a program as possible. Whining and *****ing about it just makes you look like a whiner and a b****. Point taken, it wasn't as smooth as you'd like. Move on.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Aaron Lengel

Profile:

Tom, I appreciate the name calling... my whole point with all of this is to let people know what happened. The competitors wouldn't say anything because people like you would call them whiners and tell them to get over it. You don't know me I don't know you so I could care less. I know nothing can be done about it this year. But if no one knows what happened then what's to keep it from happening again next year. I'm sure some of the masters competitors showed up to get a great workout, IMO that's an expensive workout! But I know other competitors trained hard so they could compete against people there own age with the hopes of winning. What if it had rained at the Central East Regionals? Not unthinkable May weather in Ohio. The masters competitors would have done the WOD to the best of their ability and it would have been awesome to watch but how can you have a competition where those times are posted against someone who did C2B Cindy on a dry bar? My point is you can't and if you are organizing a COMPETITION, not just any other WOD, then you need to put a little more thought into it.

I'll admit my first post was written in the heat of the moment but my intent was to start a dialogue not to enter into pointless name calling, which you did Tom not me.