CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
Joe Davison

Profile:
What are the best paleo foods to eat before a long run or weight lifting session?

looking for a good pre-workout food that can sustain a 6 mile run or a 45 minute weight lifting session. I am currently having a whey shake (24 grams of protein mixed in water) and a medium green apple. I am interested in what others eat before a grueling workout.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: What are the best paleo foods to eat before a long run or weight lifting session?

Whatever sits best on your stomach. Some people like feeling full, some like working out slightly fasted. Try a few different approaches and note how you feel during the workout. Adjust slightly and repeat 10x til you find what works for you.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
William A Cantrell

Profile:
Re: What are the best paleo foods to eat before a long run or weight lifting session?

Pre workout nutrition isnt as important as post work nutrition. Post work nutrition you need to replace calories used (maintain weight) more than calories used (gain weight), less than calories used (losing weight). With all that you should take in between 20-40 gms of protien and some simple carbohydrates 10-100 gms (depending on your weight gain/loss goals) For your lifting and just take in a little protien after a run (not as important as you'll use whats stored in your system). In my opinion its more about what you eat all day and after a hard workout thats key.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Ahmed Serag

Profile:

Caffeine + Protein... haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMOh-cul6M

Just reminds me of that video... probably NSFW, at-least the sound

But seriously, as long as you're energized and feeling good before a workout, it's really what works for your body. There are people who eat nothing, people who eat a lot, ect... So the best foods would be the foods that work best for YOU.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

The only real pre-WOD option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs
not wfs (language)
Old 04-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Laurie Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Davison View Post
looking for a good pre-workout food that can sustain a 6 mile run or a 45 minute weight lifting session. I am currently having a whey shake (24 grams of protein mixed in water) and a medium green apple. I am interested in what others eat before a grueling workout.

Thanks!
I do this as well and it works great for me.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
Ahmed Serag

Profile:

Matt that video was great hahaha
Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
James Chu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Davison View Post

Thanks!
Nothing for 2-3 hours before a high intensity workout. I don't need the nauseous feeling I get while working out while digesting. 6 mile run would fit into that category, too.

If i'm looking to do some serious mileage, I'll eat some 'easy on the stomach' stuff about 45 mins to an hour before the run/bike/swim... Bananas, Eggs, Almond Butter, Powerbar, etc.

Of course, your mileage may vary with what is 'easy on the stomach'
Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

45 minutes of sustained effort is much different than 45 minutes of strength training. I eat alot more before strength training than metcon or endurance.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Smith View Post
I do this as well and it works great for me.
ever since cutting out whey protein shakes for the 30 day challenge... then trying to start back up with a shake post workout...my body rejects it...R U N S right through me!

I used to drink them with milk but have stuck to "no dairy" and tried drinking with water instead. It happened both times I tried. Could water be the culprit? Or has my body rejected whey protein?

Anyone else experience any similar "rejections?"