CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:
squats and deadlifts post disc herniation

If properly rehabbed, is it still possible to train squats and deadlifts safely after a disc herniation? Is there anyone here who does who did?

Thank you.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Anthony Ricci

Profile:
Re: squats and deadlifts post disc herniation

I had L5 herniation and I squat and DL. The squats are still a challenge -I don't load as heavy more 5x5 with perfect form. I blew the disc squatting while powerlifting ( form break probably) so it has been a challenge gaining stability and posterior chain strength again. I use GHD every day back/hip ext and situps as well as hypers . Also get a good Chiropractor for maintenance adjustments. Good luck
Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Yes.... but you likely have to be extremely careful.

It mostly depends on your individual situation though. Some people can very easily.. and some people aggravate their backs just looking at a bar.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy View Post
If properly rehabbed, is it still possible to train squats and deadlifts safely after a disc herniation? Is there anyone here who does who did?

Thank you.
I don't do them nearly as much as I used to. Both exercises, when done as heavy as possible, just aren't good for your spine in general (yes, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this lol, but after suffering multiple back injuries and talking with other powerlifters who have experienced the same, it's the only logical conclusion I could come to)

The trick is to keep your core strong to take as much pressure off the discs as possible. Planks, curl ups, bridges, etc... You have to really pay attention to form too, never let your spine go into to much extension and never allowing it to flex when you lift big loads.

Legs respond really well to high reps. Lately I've been doing sets of 15-20 bulgarian split squats with 70lb dumbbells, and randomly decided to squat on week and my strength hadn't diminished at all. There are a lot of things you can do. Add lunges, pistols, one legged deads, reverse lunges and leg pressing to your routine and don't squat/deadlift as often as you used to. Follow these suggestions, and you're risk of re-injury goes down a ton if you decide to keep squatting and deadlifting - it still doesn't mean you're in the clear though. Anthony and Steven's advice was spot on too.