CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Antun Karlovac

Profile:
Sciatic pain (I think)

I think I've pinched my Sciatic nerve, and have been doing some research on these forums to determine what I should and shouldn't be doing.

SYMPTOMS
I get a sharp, searing pain (like being stabbed by a red-hot knife) at the top my left buttock. It doesn't hurt if I press where the pain appears. To trigger it, I need to press fairly deep at the top-rear of my left hip. The picture below shows where I press and where I get the pain:

http://docs.google.com/drawings/pub?...xg&w=654&h=459 (WFS)

HOW I THINK IT HAPPENED
The week before last, I landed on my left side while rolling with someone in Jiu Jitsu. I landed pretty hard, and felt something crunch. Can Sciatica be triggered by a trauma like that? Most of the other references I see to it seem to be focused on lower back problems.

QUESTIONS
I've been foam-rolling a fair amount. Initially it helped a lot. I only discovered the point where I can trigger the pain with my hand today. Should I continue rolling?

Should I be massaging it to the point where I feel the nerve pain? I've been doing that, but the nerve seems to be more raw when I'm not putting pressure on it. So I'm worried that I'm inflaming it more?

I've tried stretching in all directions several times a day, but I can't really hit the pain with a stretch.

Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance,

Antun
Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Matt Heriot

Profile:
Re: Sciatic pain (I think)

It concerns me that you felt something "crunch" and haven't had it checked out yet.

When my sciatica bothers me I can really feel it if I balance on my left leg and bend over to put my right sock on.

I target my piriformis and stretch good when it bothers me and that seems to help. Nothing works better than rest though.

This stretch seems to work best of all:

wfs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbpkAOxro5Q&

I am by no means ruling out a different injury however. This is just what I can tell you from experience.

Last edited by Matt Heriot : 04-13-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

Thanks for that tip Matt. I have not tried that stretch but will do so.

As for getting stuff checked out, I'm always getting stuff pulled/pushed/dinged. So I usually avoid going to the doctor unless I've given it a good shot to heal/fix by myself first.

-Antun
Old 04-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Uhhh, get yourself checked.

Crunching isn't good.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

OK, I emailed my doctor about it. It may not have been a crunch; that's just how I remember it. It definitely was something because that night I did try to ice it.

-Antun
Old 04-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Jim Pascucci

Profile:

Hello Anton;

It doesn't sound like sciatica to me. With the rolling and landing hard that you think caused it I would suggest you have a rotated lumbar. Sciatic pain normally radiates down the back of the leg, unless the impingement is in the sacral region where it radiates down the upper front of the leg and the back of the lower leg.
I would suggest a chiro or osteopath that does manual therapy.
I would also stop provoking the pain. That doesn't resolve the problem and can only lead to more nerve irritation.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
Thomas Green

Profile:

The important thing to remember is that "sciatica" isn't a medical diagnosis, it's a symptom of another problem. Usually these problems originate in the lumbar spine, however, tight piriformis muscles can also cause pain down the nerves of the leg. Also, this tends to be a very sharp pain that runs down the leg, not just localized to one spot.

That being said, if you were exerting a lot of force with the spine in a flexed position, you could have herniated a disc. I wouldn't expect this, but I'd still go to your doctor and have him rule it out.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 04-17-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

Hey Jim and Thomas,

Just to be clear - I don't think I have Sciatica itself. I understand that's something that occurs because of tightness/posture, and is not the result of a trauma. My doctor did suspect the sacrolaic joint.

You're right about not provoking it! When I first discovered the spot that makes it flare up (on Tuesday, when I posted about it on this thread) I tried massaging it to see if I could fix it, but that only made the problem worse. Since then I've been icing 3 times a day, and avoiding lifts that might affect it.

I'm thinking seriously about taking Ibuprofen for a few days to fix it.

-Antun
Old 04-18-2010, 03:46 AM   #9
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Stay away from Ibuprofen! Take your fish oils and focus on eating good foods.
Find yourself a competent Chiro/PT who knows athletes, I would especially recommend one well versed in Active Release Techniques. If it is a nerve entrapment, they will help you fast.
You can find a list of providers here: http://www.activerelease.com/ (WFS)

Good luck and a speedy recovery to you!
Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
Jim Pascucci

Profile:

Hi Anton;

As I said before you should go see a chiro or osteopath. I agree with Ian to stay away from the Ibuprofen. But then I'm not a drug taker. Ice is fine, but it's not going to do a "repair". If you have a rotated and stuck vertebrae you'll need to get it released.
The longer you wait the more the fascia will restrict to stabilize the spine, this healthy but tends to perpetuate the problem and makes it harder for the chiro or osteo to get the release.
good luck