CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Timothy Shen

Profile:
High Ceiling - Kipping bar suggestions?

Hi Everyone,

First post here - I started CF in January and had been doing the typical back/bi, chest/tri, shoulders/legs lifting routine at 24HR fitness for the past 6 years. Had ACL surgery last April and wanted to find a better way to recover than just doing leg press all day. Loving every minute of CF!

The company I work for has an open warehouse with plenty of room for gym equipment so I've been scouring these forums and the web for good deals (horse stall mats, craigslist for weights, pvc parallettes, etc) but haven't found a solid option regarding a bar for kipping.

The rafter in my warehouse is a single beam that it about 12' - I'm looking to purchase piping to drop a bar down from it but am worried that it will sway. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? I'd really appreciate any feedback, thanks!

-Tim
Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Donald Rice

Profile:
Re: High Ceiling - Kipping bar suggestions?

Without seeing a picture of the space it is a little hard to say. I would definitely secure piping vertically down from the ceiling rafter AND horozontally from the wall. This gives additional strength and stability for violent kipping. Remember, the horozontal force from a kipping pullup is as significant as the downward force. If the layout of your space does not allow for securing to the wall and ceiling, (the support beam is too far from the wall) you may want to consider a floor mounted solution. This would mean puting bolts into the floor, which also may not be an option. Then again, you could always just get a power cage and use that.
Hope that helps
Old 04-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Timothy Shen

Profile:

Hey Donald,

Thanks for the reply! I thought I had added a pic but I guess I did it wrong..

I was actually talking to my boss today about possibly drilling holes in the concrete. A floor mounted solution should work great.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Donald Rice

Profile:
Talking Re: High Ceiling - Kipping bar suggestions?

Floor mounted bars are definitely solid. You may want to look into this product from Rogue. It doubles as a pull-up bar and squat rack rack. http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_wallmount.php (w/f/s)
Sorinex also makes a similar unit. http://store.sorinex.com/BaseFit_Rac...t_p/base-7.htm (w/f/s) You will definitely be the envy of the neighborhood. Otherwise you could probably go with one inch pipe from the hardware store.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Timothy Shen

Profile:

Wow, thanks for the links!! I was actually browsing for ideas on a "pull-up" station and came across this one:

http://crossfitimpulse.com/how-to-bu...ullup-station/

That's a pretty nice setup, too! I think I should be able to try doing something similar to what you linked with piping instead.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Edward Guzman

Profile:

You should check out Donald's post of his garage gym. He has an ingenious set up using exactly what he described, wall to ceiling mounted pipes at a 90 degree angle.