CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
Matt Heriot

Profile:
Jumprope of choice for DUs

I am by no means trying to make excuses but I am having a hard time with DUs. I can get 5 in a row before falling apart. It seems that I have to work real hard to keep the speed of the rope where it needs to be and I am wondering how much my choice of jumprope has to do with it. Attached is a WFS pic of what I am working with now. I have seen a couple people recommend the PowerMax rope at Again Faster. It appears that I may be better off with any cable rope rather than what I have. What do people think? I would really like to be able to shave minutes off of some of my WOD times by stringing together a good run of DUs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019%20Beaded%20Jump%20Rope-2T.jpg
Views:	1401
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	6147  
Old 04-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
Jacob Woldstad

Profile:
Re: Jumprope of choice for DUs

I'm struggling with DU's, as well. For me, I just got double-unders about 2 weeks ago and my longest string has been 8-10(yesterday's workout). I have a rope with bearings in the handles to allow a faster spin. I know that one of the sectionals(Norcal?) used the type you have to make them more challenging. If you want to make them easier, I think anything labeled "speed rope" would be better.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Heriot View Post
I am by no means trying to make excuses but I am having a hard time with DUs. I can get 5 in a row before falling apart. It seems that I have to work real hard to keep the speed of the rope where it needs to be and I am wondering how much my choice of jumprope has to do with it. Attached is a WFS pic of what I am working with now. I have seen a couple people recommend the PowerMax rope at Again Faster. It appears that I may be better off with any cable rope rather than what I have. What do people think? I would really like to be able to shave minutes off of some of my WOD times by stringing together a good run of DUs.
LISTEN TO ME AND JUST BUY THE POWERMAX ROPE. The end.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
Matt Heriot

Profile:

How does the PowerMax hold up to jumping on asphalt? As my signature states I am a backyard CFer and jump on either the driveway or brick patio. I suppose I could always throw down a sheet of plywood to protect the rope.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Heriot View Post
How does the PowerMax hold up to jumping on asphalt? As my signature states I am a backyard CFer and jump on either the driveway or brick patio. I suppose I could always throw down a sheet of plywood to protect the rope.
I only jump outside on concrete, asphalt or decking. I don't think anything can destroy that rope. I've broken every other rope on that page. None of them can withstand heavy outdoor jumping.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
Sheldon Danley

Profile:

I had the leather version of the Powermax rope for forever, since before my xfit days, and always loved it. I too was having trouble stringing together more than say...30-40 DU's. I figured I'd go out and try a different rope to see if it helps so I bought an Ultra Speed. After Sectionals, I haven't been able to find my leather powermax rope and I miss it dearly! The Ultra Speed is an entirely different beast. Some pros and cons of each:

-the thicker rope/cable on the Powermax makes it much easier to keep momentum with less action in the wrist
-the thicker rope/cable on the Powermax also means it is heavier, which can fatigue the arms/shoulders faster
-Powermax will stand up to the outdoor abuse MUCH better

-the ultra speed is super fast, almost too fast...you have to learn to slow it down some and it takes a ton of wrist action to keep it moving right
-the ultra speed is also super light, so much less shoulder/arm fatigue
-the ultra speed is ultra thin, and will leave you welted up pretty good
-the ultra speed can be adjusted in length very easily (but probably only a once and done deal)
Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

The Ultra Speed is the last rope I ever recommend. I hate that thing. I think the PowerMax is faster. Yes, shoulder fatigue can be an issue with the PowerMax, but if I can consistently hit close to 100 DUs with it, it doesn't matter to me. If I can get through Annie with all sets unbroken, it doesn't matter to me. Everyone who has tried my PowerMax loves it. It can also give you some serious welting, though.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Árni Björn Kristjánsson

Profile:

This is what I'm working with:

http://estore.websitepros.com/1220297/Detail.bok?no=5 (WFS)

They are sooo good and really fast. 70-100 unbroken DU's no probs

Buddy Lee jump ropes FTW.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:

I too am a fan of the Ultra Speed Ropes, I will be honest and say that I have not used a PowerMax. I have a tendency to use the weight of the rope for momentum and the USR forces me to increase wrist speed and i have been able to string together a truckload more du's with it then any other rope except a cheapy licorice rope.

I also love that I can adjust it easily and that I can stick in the pocket of my sweatshirt or carry it just about anything b/c of its size. I might try to pick up one of the PowerMax ropes just to give it a try.

Noah
Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Are these the ropes you all are talking about?

wfs
http://www.gillathletics.com/store/p...spx?id=914&d=2