CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Ian Nigh

Profile:
barefoot squatting

Well I did a search but could not find anything specifically in this (although I am sure it has been discussed and is buried in a thread somewhere).

Anyway, I have heard conflicting advice regarding barefoot/vibram FF squatting. The argument for includes improved proprioception, ankle and foot strength, and in the long term, stronger arches.

The arguments against are not very clear to me, although I am assuming they have something to do with ankle flexibility requirements (similar argument for wearing OWL shoes).

so, what is the consensus or general opinion here on squatting barefoot or in VFF? Is there a difference in this regard between air squats and weighted back squats? How about front/overhead squats?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Hunter Lea

Profile:
Re: barefoot squatting

I like barefoot squatting in all cases, and that's good enough for me

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sold on the idea that we were evolved to do all these movements sans footwear. But then, I'm pretty minimalist.

And just think of all the money you'll save when you don't have to buy all those specialized shoes anymore!

Happy training!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Mike Mallory

Profile:

its awesome....the VFF's are the only way to go.......or barefoot if possible; even better

Most people have trouble with pronation at the bottom of a squat from lack of ROM in the ankle and foot, and will benefit greatly from being able to train in good foot and ankle patterns.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I prefer squatting in my Oly shoes. If I don't have them, then I squat in bare feet or vibrams.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

+1 to barefoot, my coach encourages it and we aim to set all our PR lifts in barefoot
Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Ian Nigh

Profile:

ok, so far no negative effects/experiences from barefoot squatting...

Jamie, what advantages do you get from your OWL shoes? Would this be similar to the common gym practice of placing a small riser under the heels?

I am also squatting barefoot and happy, but I do wonder why a couple different "online experts" have advised against it.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I squatted barefoot for a while, then got a pair of Olympic weightlifting shoes and have squatted in those ever since.

The benefits of squatting in lifting shoes are 2 fold:

1) Stability. Squatting in a good pair of lifting shoes makes you vastly more stable in a number of ways. One you have a solid non compressible heel underneath you. Two you have one or two metatarsal straps to help secure your foot in the shoe and prevent any rolling or movement at the ankle.

2) Allows for better depth with less ankle flexibility required. By elevating the heel slightly you put the ankles in a better position to get the knees forward and the torso upright while obtaining good depth and lumbar extension.

The argument that we should squat barefoot because that is how we evolved seems silly to me. I am pretty confident that in our evolutionary process we never needed barbells or bumper weights but does that mean they are not useful tools? When in our evolution did we start squatting with barbells on our backs? The last 100 years? Forgive me if I think how we evolved has little to do with the efficacy of weightlifting shoes.

Can you squat barefoot? Sure. Some body types are better or worse suited for it, but technically anyone can do it. Is it optimal? I think not. Will you lift more in a good pair of shoes? I think so. Would you go swimming (competitively) without a swim suit and goggles? Would you play play soccer without cleats and shin pads? You could technically but it would be silly because you have nicely designed equipment to make it easier. That is what lifting shoes and a belt are to me.

my 2 cents at least
Old 03-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Baker Mulherin

Profile:

I think the question of whether or not barefoot squatting is "optimal" is completely dependent upon your personal goals. I agree with the paradoxical idea of squatting "naturally" with a bar and some plates put on your back, but it depends on what you are after.

As an example, I pretty much always perform heavy lifts (squats, deads, ect.) in bare feet or vibrams because I am more interested in developing the foot/ankle/lower extremity strength that comes along with it. Runners, for example, might be more interested in these results. Will you squat your max amount of weight while going barefoot? I seriously doubt it. But I'd be willing to make that concession for the little side benefits that come along with going barefoot.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
ok, so far no negative effects/experiences from barefoot squatting...

Jamie, what advantages do you get from your OWL shoes? Would this be similar to the common gym practice of placing a small riser under the heels?

I am also squatting barefoot and happy, but I do wonder why a couple different "online experts" have advised against it.
Best of the best: http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/adiStarFRS.html

I invested 2 years ago and have never turned back. Adistars are the real deal.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I spend a lot of time barefoot, so I really notice the reduced sensitivity when I'm wearing shoes. I feel a lot more stable with my shoes off.

I haven't tried either VFFs or lifting shoes yet, so can't say how they would compare.

One of the big arguments that's always mentioned when a gym tells people they can't lift barefoot is safety. Not that a running shoe is going to provide a whole lot of protection if you drop a 45# plate on your foot! But it will help protect against stubbed toes and so forth.

Katherine