CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
David Dallaire

Profile:
Starting Paleo and feel tired. Is this normal?

I've been switching over to the Paleo diet over the last month or so. I'd say that now I'm 90% on it. When I started I definitely noticed my body telling me to get carbs (prior I was intentionally eating lots of carbs for energy to train, this had gone on for years). This craving for starches and sugars is subsiding, but I feel tired and lethargic a lot of the time, to the point when I think I'm borderline depressed.

I often fall off the wagon on Sundays when I visit my parents for dinner and I pig out on the normal fare. Once I get a whole lotta starch in me, I quickly snap out of that tired, lethargic feeling and feel good and uplifted.

Did other people go through the same transition? I think I might be experiencing hypoglycemia, but I'm guessing my body will adapt and I'll start feeling the benefits, but right now I'm just tired.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Starting Paleo and feel tired. Is this normal?

Sounds to me like you just need to eat more, whether from Paleo sources or otherwise.

Katherine
Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Matt Holmer

Profile:

I would log a few days on fitday to see where you're at. Like Katherine said you're probably not eating enough.

When i first started I ate when I was hungry, but felt tired as well. When I logged my food for a few days it turned out I was eating less then 1500 calories a day

As soon as I forced myself to eat more, my engery has greatly increased
Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Walker Fenz

Profile:

I felt very much the same way, my understanding it could be the carb withdraw. I recommend not cheating, at least for thirty days...otherwise you are just starting back over again. and once you have not cheated for that long, you will likley find your cravings to be gone as well.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dallaire View Post
I've been switching over to the Paleo diet over the last month or so. I'd say that now I'm 90% on it. When I started I definitely noticed my body telling me to get carbs (prior I was intentionally eating lots of carbs for energy to train, this had gone on for years). This craving for starches and sugars is subsiding, but I feel tired and lethargic a lot of the time, to the point when I think I'm borderline depressed.

I often fall off the wagon on Sundays when I visit my parents for dinner and I pig out on the normal fare. Once I get a whole lotta starch in me, I quickly snap out of that tired, lethargic feeling and feel good and uplifted.

Did other people go through the same transition? I think I might be experiencing hypoglycemia, but I'm guessing my body will adapt and I'll start feeling the benefits, but right now I'm just tired.
Hey David,

Nice to hear from another Ottawa'ite.

For sure there is an adjustment period...3 weeks to a month. Make sure your Paleo incl. lots of veggies, good meat, and don't spare the fat.

You can try some tweaks like adding some more carbs eg. sweet potato or berries...titrate to effect...and don't binge when you eat out.

Did your initiation of the Paleo diet also correspond with increasing your work effort ie. did you start CF at the same time as you changed your diet?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
David Dallaire

Profile:

I've been doing for physical work, yes, as I've been on the diet, and I think everyone is right that I'm not eating enough (I'm 6'4" and a bit under 200lbs).

The thing is, I read the Paleo Diet book before starting and they advocate lean meats over fatty meats. I see bacon is really big on this board, and that may be great for energy, but terrible for cholesterol, so I'm trying to get all my fats from MUFA sources.

I'm eating more fruits and veggies than I ever have in my life, but the actually caloric content of both of these is very low. I'm going to start adding more fat to my diet in meats, but I'd like to be able to replace it eventually by nuts and seeds and keep eating lean meats.

For the first time today I took a shot of olive oil in the morning, and may make this a habit, just to get in some extra fat and calories. Yes, it is gross, but just as gross and energy gels.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Be sure to google studies on ingested cholesterol vs. serum cholesterol.

its fun!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dallaire View Post
I've been doing for physical work, yes, as I've been on the diet, and I think everyone is right that I'm not eating enough (I'm 6'4" and a bit under 200lbs).

The thing is, I read the Paleo Diet book before starting and they advocate lean meats over fatty meats. I see bacon is really big on this board, and that may be great for energy, but terrible for cholesterol, so I'm trying to get all my fats from MUFA sources.

I'm eating more fruits and veggies than I ever have in my life, but the actually caloric content of both of these is very low. I'm going to start adding more fat to my diet in meats, but I'd like to be able to replace it eventually by nuts and seeds and keep eating lean meats.

For the first time today I took a shot of olive oil in the morning, and may make this a habit, just to get in some extra fat and calories. Yes, it is gross, but just as gross and energy gels.
Yeah, this is where your own research can take off...and I agree...it is fun. There is a lot of disagreement about saturated fats and cholesterol's role in a healthy diet...in a nutshell, they are REQUIRED for a healthy diet.

Go with fatty cuts of GRASSFED meats and you're golden.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Yeah, this is where your own research can take off...and I agree...it is fun. There is a lot of disagreement about saturated fats and cholesterol's role in a healthy diet...in a nutshell, they are REQUIRED for a healthy diet.

Go with fatty cuts of GRASSFED meats and you're golden.
Since when did saturates become EFA's?

To the OP. Eat more. Plus paleo does not have to mean dairy free Atkins.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Lavin View Post
Since when did saturates become EFA's?
http://www.westonaprice.org/index.ph...e&cr=countryUS

I never said "essential" in the physiological/biochemical sense (ie. they can be endogenously produced). I think sat fats are tasty, too.

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 03-08-2010 at 05:37 PM.