CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Rahif Murray

Profile:
Why no beans on Paleo Diet????

Before I went strict Paleo I used to get my carbs from fruits, vegetables, and also beans (particularly black beans and chick peas, a.k.a. Hummus) and it seemed like I had a much easier time putting on muscle mass and I didn't notice any fat increase plus I felt a lot stronger. From what I've heard, beans are discouraged from a Paleo Diet but I've never heard the why. I would love some input into the reason why beans aren't allowed. Some background info: 27y.o./6'5''/205lbs.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Why no beans on Paleo Diet????

Do a Google search for information on lectins and phytates. Most beans contain both, and they're bad news if you want avoid gut irritation and decreased mineral absorption.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahif Murray View Post
Before I went strict Paleo I used to get my carbs from fruits, vegetables, and also beans (particularly black beans and chick peas, a.k.a. Hummus) and it seemed like I had a much easier time putting on muscle mass and I didn't notice any fat increase plus I felt a lot stronger. From what I've heard, beans are discouraged from a Paleo Diet but I've never heard the why. I would love some input into the reason why beans aren't allowed. Some background info: 27y.o./6'5''/205lbs.
How much are you eating overall? Often, people who go strict Paleo find that they simply aren't eating enough. Beans aside, lack of food would easily explain your difficulty in adding muscle mass.

Katherine
Old 03-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Before I went strict Paleo I used to get my carbs from fruits, vegetables, and also beans (particularly black beans and chick peas, a.k.a. Hummus) and it seemed like I had a much easier time putting on muscle mass and I didn't notice any fat increase plus I felt a lot stronger.
Why did you change? You found a diet that worked for you. Stick with it. The paleo diet as it's commonly described on this board is not a perfect fit for everyone. Eat your legumes and get strong.

FYI nuts which are allowed on the paleo diet are also loaded with phytates.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah, phytates are an issue. If you really can't do without legumes, they need to be properly prepared in order to mitigate the phytates.

Check out the WAPF for traditional preparation methods for legumes, nuts, and grains: http://www.westonaprice.org/
Old 03-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Rahif Murray

Profile:

Thanks for the input everyone! I do find that eating enough is really difficult and truth be told, I did feel a lot stronger when eating legumes. Perhaps the higher carb intake caused me to be more hungry more often thus causing me to eat more and therefore feeling a bit more complete. I agree that everone's diet has to be tweaked to their own body and needs and maybe a change back to Paleo portions with some legumes is good for me. Thanks again everyone.