CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Jill Peterson

Profile:
eating for women and strength gains

Hello all, I have been checking out the board for a while now, have cruised the threads and have not found advice for women who are doing CFSB and nutrition. I am in week 5 and have seen some good gains, the squat with any weight being a major weakness for me. I have gained 25 lbs thus far on my front squat and about 6 lbs! Had to buy new jeans cause not even my "fat" jeans fit my quads and butt! Size 4 to a size 8! I eat Paleo with a little dariy, mostly just butter and cream, and any thing over 100G carbs per day packs the weight on me, and not just muscle! I am going to take a week of 1/2 volume and then reset and do it again. Any suggestions on how to tweak and gain muscle and maybe not as much fat?
Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Geoff Sallee

Profile:
Re: eating for women and strength gains

If you're eating to gain weight, some of that weight will be fat. The best way I've learned to minimize that is to maintain a lower carb intake. That's what the guys over at 70sbig.com (WFS) recommend and they seem pretty experienced with that kind of stuff.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Jill Peterson

Profile:

I would like to gain strength, muscle yes, fat no! I am not necessarily stressing about the scale, I just want to be able to support muscle growth and a little less of the pudgy stuff next cycle!
Thanks I will check out the link but as I said alot of these sites are geared for men and there is not alot out there for women that I have been able to find
Old 02-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

The basic prescription for women tends to be less emphasis on eating more/gaining weight and more emphasis on increasing strength gains through neurological adaptation, since women seem to do so more efficiently than men. They also have 1/10 of the testosterone of men so that plays a huge factor. Eat enough to sustain your efforts, maybe just a few hundred calories above your maintenance level each day, and keep lifting heavy. It takes longer but your gains should be much "cleaner."
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Emily Mattes

Profile:

When you say "pudgy", what body fat percentage are you talking about? If you're female, give up on washboard abs for strength gain unless you're a beginner.

Also, explosion of thighs and butt are a natural and beautiful result of squatting. When the only alternative to yoga pants are Apple Bottoms, you will know you are a Real Lifter.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Also, explosion of thighs and butt are a natural and beautiful result of squatting. When the only alternative to yoga pants are Apple Bottoms, you will know you are a Real Lifter.
Hahaha, that was the awesomest thing I've read all week!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
Jill Peterson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
When you say "pudgy", what body fat percentage are you talking about? If you're female, give up on washboard abs for strength gain unless you're a beginner.

Ok thats FUNNYand I love it! and pudgy is this sudden muffin top...uuugghhhh..not sure what body comp I am, no calipers at our gym, and we all know the standard height/weight BMI scale is not even close to accurate! But it puts me at 24% SIGH I will just keep going as is and keep tweaking, I am not giving up on the strength and besides it winter and sweaters are lose! LOL
Old 02-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Eric Lester

Profile:

I would love to eat for women and strength gains. Sign me up!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:

I wonder if the original folks that created cfsb had women in mind and the difference in metcon lengths after max effort lifts. Is there a difference in the amount of time for a metcon between women and men? I have been eating like a horse and have not gained much if anybody fat. Wondering if you should drop one of the strength days and sub a longer metcon in. Just a thought.

Last edited by Jonathan Cedolia : 02-19-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:

Here's what my coach recommended, and she's pretty much on the mark with everything else she's told me:
Do the 3 big lifts, then 2-3 times a week do a heavy, short metcon for no more than 10 minutes (preferably on the same day as the lifts, to allow more rest days). Once a week, do a "moderate" metcon for about 20 mins.

She also had me doing hill sprints and short intense rows as the short metcons or if I couldn't squeeze something else in.

For eating, she recommends cutting back on the carbs, getting 3tbsp of coconut oil a day and eating until you're no longer hungry, or at the bottom end of maintenance calories.

Works pretty darn well when I follow it! My schedule is the issue now.

Btw my coach is Kelly Moore and she pretty much is the gold standard for strong women in my book.

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com