CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:
Upset with myself, maybe?

3rd day of crossfit yesterday, and it was Kelly for the WOD. I didn't have a 24" box (subbed a bench), or a spot to throw the ball (subbed 25# thrusters), and I took 50:45 or something...definitely above 50 minutes.

I pushed myself, but I could've pushed harder...but I definitely feel sore today from it. I don't know...did anyone else take a long time on their first few WODs? I was more interested in completing it than going as fast as possible and not completing it.

All I know is next time I meet Kelly, I'm upping the weight of my thrusters and I'm doing it faster. I was definitely in an elevated state the entire time, and through the workout I got more and more comfortable with this state (prior to this, the longest I'd have prolonged activity was during dumbbell swings (10 reps at 55#), and the rest of my work was either running or strength training (with lots of rest on the latter).

I definitely feel better already after only 3 days of crossfit, but I am unhappy with my time...so, did anyone else have horrific times their first time through CF?

My Griff on Tuesday came in at a respectable (but nowhere near good) 15:45.

Thanks for any / all input.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Upset with myself, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd Kaiser View Post
I don't know...did anyone else take a long time on their first few WODs? I was more interested in completing it than going as fast as possible and not completing it.

I definitely feel better already after only 3 days of crossfit, but I am unhappy with my time...so, did anyone else have horrific times their first time through CF?
Umm, yes. It's called being a beginner. You probably didn't do too well the first few times to tried to ride a bike, right? The good news is your learning curve will be very steep for a while.

I would recommend looking here (WFS) for suggestions on scaling the WODs each day. Scaling will help you complete the workouts more safely and keep them in the "intended" timeframe so your intensity stays high and so you get the intended effect from each workout....i.e. Fran isn't supposed to be a strength workout, it's supposed to be a metcon suckfest, so if you take 15 minutes for Fran you're missing the point of it.

50 mins is a little slow for Kelly--most people at my affiliate last night were in the 30-35 minute range, so you would be better served by scaling the workout so you can maintain a higher average power output, which will lead to quicker results.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:

Thanks!

I think part of it too is just not being comfortable at such a high intensity, but I'm going to be stepping it up more. I'll check out the BrandX stuff...I appreciate it.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
I think part of it too is just not being comfortable at such a high intensity, but I'm going to be stepping it up more
There is a common misconception that quickly completing a metcon is mainly an issue of being mentally tough and just sucking it up. Mental toughness is important, but increasing work capacity is just like increasing strength in that both require stimuli and physiological adaptations. Do your best on each WOD and you will improve your work capacity over time.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Stu Selden

Profile:

Quote:
did anyone else take a long time on their first few WODs? I was more interested in completing it than going as fast as possible and not completing it.

Umm, yes! My entire first month (December) I could only workout once per WEEK because I could barely walk for the next 5 DAYS after the workout. The 30 situps in my baseline made it so that I couldn't stand up straight for like 3 days and it hurt to breathe! Fast forward 2 months, I'm doing crossfit 2x per week and in my WOD last night I did over 800 jump ropes, 130 situps, 1800m running and I can still breathe and walk normally today, lol.

It's amazing how your body will adjust to the abuse you give it. Besides, it's ok to be upset about your time. Use that to push yourself harder and harder every workout. Don't give in to mediocrity.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Michael Keas

Profile:

i think you will see if you read up on the forums that alot of people get frustrated. these are hard work outs meant to be that way for a reason. they actually work. I was kind of ticked for the first time (going on 3 weeks of CF) because as soon as i started even after stretching, my legs were so tight because of the previous 2 workout days that kelly was really hard for me. I know in the long run though that i will get better each workout if I put the work in.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Albert Chang

Profile:

Don't beat yourself up about it, and more importantly don't get discouraged. Like Montgomery said, you're a beginner, and these wods are hard. I also agree that you should scale.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Troy Becker

Profile:

The only reason to be upset with yourself is if you quit
Old 02-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Dominic Sirianni

Profile:

Some WOD's definitely took me longer than others in the beginning. Murph comes to mind as does Badger. Some still take me a long while. In fact I am not too fast at either of those.

I definitely got at training effect out of those, but the slower one goes on those WOD's the more of a strength/muscular endurance type training effect one gets.

If you can go faster you will get more of a cardio/conditioning effect.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Chadd Kaiser

Profile:

Thanks to everyone for the input. After I failed a PT test (purposely...long story but I didn't feel like the department was a good fit for me, and I just gave up, not feeling it was worth it), I made up a saying that's gotten me a lot of cred among my interviews. I've adopted a no-quit attitude (unless it's for safety purposes, like yesterday's WOD).

Great quote that I'll let anyone use for whatever reason:

"The sting if failure is more motivating than the thrill of victory."

If you put this on a shirt, I'd like one.

Thanks for all the advice and support. I'm already in love with CF, and just subscribed to the CFJ. I know that based on the successes other people have had, this is the workout regimen for me; and I'm looking forward to my first muscle-up, my first Fran as RX'd, and my first handstand pushups.