CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Ryan Stiefvater

Profile:
New Level 1 Cert. Testing?

A member of our affiliate just got back from his level 1 cert at one world this weekend and was saying that there is going to be testing for the level 1 cert coming in the near future and that people who had completed their level 1 already could attend the end of any level 1 to take the test (which would be fairly easy with approx. 85% of applicants passing).

Can anyone elaborate on this? Any links?

I like the idea of testing, not sure what it means to those of us who took their level 1 before the new testing though. I assume this has to do with accreditation?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: New Level 1 Cert. Testing?

yeah, this rumor has been floating around for awhile. I'd love to know when it is going to take effect, since I will be doing my Level 1 in April. I want to take the test.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

It was mentioned in a CF Radio podcast with Greg Glassman about having their certification ANSI certified, so testing would likely have to be part of that process.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stiefvater View Post
A member of our affiliate just got back from his level 1 cert at one world this weekend and was saying that there is going to be testing for the level 1 cert coming in the near future and that people who had completed their level 1 already could attend the end of any level 1 to take the test (which would be fairly easy with approx. 85% of applicants passing).

Can anyone elaborate on this? Any links?

I like the idea of testing, not sure what it means to those of us who took their level 1 before the new testing though. I assume this has to do with accreditation?
Why even waste the time of testing if the passing rate is 85%. I also don't see the point of administering the test if it's all going to be reviewed prior to the testing. The certificate offered with an 85% passer rate is akin to needing to take a written test for your driver's license when you move to another state.

I like the idea, if implemented correctly. Not just given to allow for a trainer to obtain a special certification.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Why even waste the time of testing if the passing rate is 85%. I also don't see the point of administering the test if it's all going to be reviewed prior to the testing. The certificate offered with an 85% passer rate is akin to needing to take a written test for your driver's license when you move to another state.

I like the idea, if implemented correctly. Not just given to allow for a trainer to obtain a special certification.

Wow, we've progressed from "they need to TEST" to "They need to have a hard TEST" Ain't progress a wonderful thing.

What should the standard be? 99.9%? 85% seems like it's a solid B why isn't that good enough? Hell we'll just call the 15% CrossFit slop
Old 02-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Ryan Stiefvater

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post

What should the standard be? 99.9%? 85% seems like it's a solid B why isn't that good enough? Hell we'll just call the 15% CrossFit slop
I think we may have a miscommunication here. My understanding is the test would be geared so that 85% of the people who take it after a level 1 cert would pass, not that you need an 85% to pass.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Ryan Stiefvater

Profile:

Quote:

I believe that what was stated above was correct. It is for certification through another organization (I have no idea which organization).
Old 02-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Logan Bautch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
yeah, this rumor has been floating around for awhile. I'd love to know when it is going to take effect, since I will be doing my Level 1 in April. I want to take the test.
Bo, Which April cert are you going to? I'm going to the one in St. Paul, MN on April 24-25...can't wait!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stiefvater View Post
I think we may have a miscommunication here. My understanding is the test would be geared so that 85% of the people who take it after a level 1 cert would pass, not that you need an 85% to pass.
Correct Ryan. I was referring to the % of people that would be passing the test. I'm not even sure how they came up with that number prior to giving the test.
Whatever they come up with as a passing grade is fine, my issue was why even bother with a test if 85% pass it. The system won't be perfect, but it seems to be headed in the right direction.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Ryan Stiefvater

Profile:

Quote:
Correct Ryan. I was referring to the % of people that would be passing the test. I'm not even sure how they came up with that number prior to giving the test.
Whatever they come up with as a passing grade is fine, my issue was why even bother with a test if 85% pass it. The system won't be perfect, but it seems to be headed in the right direction.
I think that through a few test groups one can come up with a pretty good idea of where the bell curve of pass/fail will lie. I don't think that I have a problem with that so much (I for one am really excited to see some sort of testing being out there) I feel like if we eliminate the bottom 15% of people going through level 1, it greatly culls the herd. Not sure if it will make much of a difference in affiliates opening though as that looking back on my level 1, I highly doubt the bottom 15% (of performers, which may not have much to do with a test, pending how the test is structured)were there to learn to train others or open a gym. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and adding some sort of difficulty rather than a free pass (plus $1000) to a level 1 is great in my book. I don't think it should be TOO hard to get a level 1, but I think would be great if you had to demonstrate a basic understanding of CrossFit's principals

Remember, a level 2 covers the same subjects as level 1, but has a test at the end with an approx. 60% (correct me if my % is innacurate) pass rate.

My main concern here is how it will affect those who are currently level 1 certified.

Last edited by Ryan Stiefvater : 02-02-2010 at 03:47 PM.