CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Chris Westerström

Profile:
Should I prepare myself for Crossfit?

Simply put, should I train myself up slowly using non crossfit routines, like working up my strength/conditioning/etc techniques for 6-12 weeks before trying crossfit?

For those of you who are more experienced, what would you have done differently when you started?

two weeks in and push-press has me worried about my shoulders

edit: sorry, i just discovered the 'Start Here' on the main page that answered a lot of questions. That said, I'd still like to hear some opinions from some of you more experienced crossfitters on what you might have done differently when you started out

Last edited by Chris Westerström : 01-18-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Brett Emil

Profile:
Re: Should I prepare myself for Crossfit?

Yes, you should prepare yourself for Crossfit, by scaling.

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/
(WFS)

Use this forum to follow a scaled version of the main pages workouts. Start at Buttercup/Puppie and work your way up!

Oh and welcome to the community!

Last edited by Brett Emil : 01-18-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Westerström View Post
Simply put, should I train myself up slowly using non crossfit routines, like working up my strength/conditioning/etc techniques for 6-12 weeks before trying crossfit?

For those of you who are more experienced, what would you have done differently when you started?

Would you train yourself to be a better free throw shooter by hitting golf balls at the range?

Scale.

Welcome, and best of luck!

edit: sorry, i just discovered the 'Start Here' on the main page that answered a lot of questions. That said, I'd still like to hear some opinions from some of you more experienced crossfitters on what you might have done differently when you started out
Would you train yourself to be a better free throw shooter by hitting golf balls at the range?

Scale.

Welcome, and best of luck!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
That said, I'd still like to hear some opinions from some of you more experienced crossfitters on what you might have done differently when you started out
I have two Crossfit lives. My first one was at a Globo, where I tried to follow the BrandX scaled WODs as closely as I could, by myself, and limited to whatever equipment they had in whatever layout they had it. That lasted for about six months. I did okay but then lost interest due to the globo limitations and the fact that I was on my own. I then left CF completely for about nine months.

Flash forward to October 2009, when I joined my affiliate here in Central Texas. I've made tremendous gains, don't feel at all limited by the environment, and am completely uplifted by those around me. It's tremendous.

What would I do differently? When I started out?

I would have started at an affiliate from Day One.

- Mark
Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Chris, welcome! I have been doing Crossfit for 7 months now and the only thing I would have done differently is chill out a little in the beginning. I was so excited I was overdoing it in the beginning. The point of any exercise is to feel great every day and have more energy, not to feel lousy. In the first few months there was a lot more mini injuries, icing, and soreness (not the good kind, but the kind that keeps you from training at your best) until I realized/remembered I was only competing against myself and I could control the pace. There is no hurry.

Now I know that Crossfit is a part of my life (not some temporary fad) and while I want to push myself each day, some days I may just need to scale back more, take an extra day off, have a beer, eat a sundae... and feel great all the while. If I bust my *** 90% of the time (in the box and w/ my nutrition) when and if its appropriate to chillax, I do so the other 10% and enjoy it to the fullest.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If you haven;t trained before and don't have a physical job, you are most likely weak. I would add in a dedicated strength portion to your workouts if this is the case. If that is not the case, brandx will be fine.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Piyush Aggarwala

Profile:

Hey, I just started a few weeks ago but I think it might help to answre this question from another newbie:

I started from day 1 with Foundations intro classes. They start at 2x a week and while I'm sore, I'm doing great. I was going to do what you did, but realized that I'd rather just mimic the eventual experience from now than 'think' that any pre-gym workout is going to get me to 'speed'. IMO, no such thing.

My recommendation? Ditch the gym and like Mark said and just go start at the gym. Let the 'certified' trainers tell you what you should or shouldn't do.

Why would you think you don't have the fitness levels yet? there is NO fitness minimum at Crossfit. I can barely lift myself pulling up, but I scale. Trust me: If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Chris Westerström

Profile:

thanks for your answers!

I wish I had an affiliate nearby. I do have one gym but they have rigid hours which make it impossible for me

i consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but I am surprised (and intrigued at the same time) to how challenging CF is.

I guess I'll just jump into it, and be sure to scale if I find myself in over my head

thanks again
Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Nichole A Purcell

Profile:

Thanks for posting this Chris! I asked my friends about this like an hour ago. Nice to know I'm not the only one with the same questions.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:

Yes you should prepare for crossfit and, no, not just by scaling wods. Look into the Crossfir onramp program - http://www.cathletics.com/articles/i...ty&shortyID=54 - WFS (at least pre-fallout) - and follow it or something similar.

As Jamie pointed out, strength endurance follows strength. If you have a strong weightlifting background you should be fine although you may still need a brief onramp on oly lifts. If you have a strong Oly lift background jump right in.