CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Neil Duncan

Profile:
Clicking / loose feeling in knee...

After session of squatting (one thing I could do without hurting shoulder, lol) I did too many but must have had slightly bad technique, my knee was feeling sore in the soft part on the inside bottom of the knee. Now the pain has gone (almost) but there is a clicking, not really audible most of the time but can feel something moving.. feels like it's on the big tendon that attaches to the bottom of the kneecap. When I take a step sometimes it almost feels loose and gives me pause.. I've tried air squatting with perfect technique and there is no pain or when I run up stairs for example. Also if I gently try to move my kneecap I can feel a slight crunching and movement from underneath the kneecap.

I've been following the advice in the thread about patellawotsit syndrome, taking 12x 1000mg fish oil caps, icing, heat/ice, self massage and tennis ball massage on IT band/hams/quads and stretching plus working on glute activation...

But the symptoms don't sound exactly the same.. anyone got any ideas what it is?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Clicking / loose feeling in knee...

Well, IF your quad/ITBand etc. are releasing and you're gaining mobility and ROM back in the muscle which it sounds like then if there is not enough strength in the quad or it's loose comparitively to the hamstrings you may start getting some articulation imbalances there.

Basically, ifyou're getting too loose in in that area do strength work and hold on the massage for a bit, and loosen up the hammies. If your hammies are weak you may also need to do strength work for them. But loosening them up is a VERY high priority especially if you are a guy who has them extremely tight.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Neil Duncan

Profile:

Thanks Steven, yeah weak hamstrings are definitely something I identified as a training issue anyway so thats something I will look at. When loosening them up is that basically the same massage and stretching that I've been doing plus the mobility work?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, you can do the Kelly Starrett thing of tennis ball/lacross/rubber band ball and then straightening the leg to slide the muscles over the ball.

That works too. If they're tight use some heat first then hit up massage then stretching. Preferably PNF.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
John DeSouza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Duncan View Post
After session of squatting (one thing I could do without hurting shoulder, lol) I did too many but must have had slightly bad technique, my knee was feeling sore in the soft part on the inside bottom of the knee. Now the pain has gone (almost) but there is a clicking, not really audible most of the time but can feel something moving.. feels like it's on the big tendon that attaches to the bottom of the kneecap. When I take a step sometimes it almost feels loose and gives me pause.. I've tried air squatting with perfect technique and there is no pain or when I run up stairs for example. Also if I gently try to move my kneecap I can feel a slight crunching and movement from underneath the kneecap.

I've been following the advice in the thread about patellawotsit syndrome, taking 12x 1000mg fish oil caps, icing, heat/ice, self massage and tennis ball massage on IT band/hams/quads and stretching plus working on glute activation...

But the symptoms don't sound exactly the same.. anyone got any ideas what it is?
I had similar symptoms and had to go in for PT as they suspected tigh IT bands and something with Patellars...that did not help over time so went in for MRI and they detected that it was a torn meniscus.. Living with pain and noise now and elected to skip surgery..

Get to an Ortho and get it checked out...
Old 01-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Jae Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeSouza View Post
I had similar symptoms and had to go in for PT as they suspected tigh IT bands and something with Patellars...that did not help over time so went in for MRI and they detected that it was a torn meniscus.. Living with pain and noise now and elected to skip surgery..

Get to an Ortho and get it checked out...
Close, but it's the "patella" and they probably said patella femoral syndrome. Basically some kind of muscle imbalance in your body- be it the way your quads pull your kneecap when you move, tight hamstrings/calves, hip mobility, etc. makes that bone (the patella) not move correctly in the femoral groove.

OP, just based on your picture I assume you do martial arts so I'm rather surprised that your hamstrings and hip flexors aren't more flexible. Resting is a short term fix but it will keep coming back once you start up again, so dentifying your imbalances and getting PT for it is the best way to fix it.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

You guys may want to re-read this: wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Neil Duncan

Profile:

Yeah got my physio to check it out, did some tests on my knee said ive got quite healthy ligaments and tendons in the knee but my kneecap is tracking slightly off due to some imbalances, likely coming from sitting down at my desk constantly so gave me some stuff to do.. helping already - Stevens advice was bang on the nail though as per usual
Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Chris Puckett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Duncan View Post

Neil this is almost identical to what I have, slipping, pain, etc. I am working on glute activation, mobility and shying away from deep stretching. I never really have tight IT's, I am actually over flexible. I have had this for a month, and I got to an ART PT who helps, but I will give it another month and then go see my ortho dr. in Ohio. The PT said my ligaments felt fine, but I am going to get an xray soon. All I can say is keep active while you sort this out.