CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Brian Strump

Profile:
What do use for your whiteboards?

We're in the process of upfitting our box, and want to get some ideas on what worked best, and most economical for the white boards at different affiliates. I've heard some using shower boards...Not exactly sure what that was referring too.
If its just huge traditional dry erase boards, where have you gotten them from?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Matt Thacker

Profile:
Re: What do use for your whiteboards?

There have been lots of posts regarding this. Basically the shower boards are avaliable from Lowes and work great as whiteboards if you can find the less pourous kind. Should be on the isle with the other types of paneling in the back of the lumber section. Was less than $10 a sheet when I bought it. Hang directly on your drywall walls and enjoy.

Matt
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Tom Taylor

Profile:
Post Re: What do use for your whiteboards?

Hey Brian,

We use 4'x8' sheets of Melamine board from Lowes or Home Depot. They are about $13 per sheet here in CT. You want the thin sheets not the 1/2 or 3/4 in sheets of Melamine coated particle board. Feel free to PM or email me if you have any other questions.

Good Luck,

Tom
Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
Terry Dickman

Profile:

We just moved into our new location, we used shower board, got them at home depot, 4'x8' sheets, $11.87 each. They are about 1/8 thick. Shower boards are designed to be installed around tubs and showers...hence the term shower boards.

Check out our website, click on the Whiteboard link on the left sidebar, we post our WOD results there. We also ran 6 across the top of our gym as leader boards. If you watch the rotating images on the main page you can see how we mounted them on our office by the timer.

WFS http://crossfitexcel.com/

Last edited by Terry Dickman : 01-15-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Uy Nguyen

Profile:

I use plexiglass board, check out my how to make them.
I know it can be little more expensive if you get a bigger piece, but you will love them for the quality and the clean look rather then the white coated paper sheet. beside you can write peramanent marker on it.
Just a thought....
Old 01-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Matthew Bennett

Profile:

Be careful with shower boards. Marker (black) tends to stay on it if left on for any length of time. Home depot sells 2'x4' white board sheets. they are great cause they clean perfectly and they are small so you can make a white board of any size. Use duPont extra strength double sided tape ( small pieces on corners and middle, cause its super strong ****) and you are laughing. Its cheap stuff too. Hope that helps
Old 01-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Bill Houghton

Profile:

Brian,

We have done two things; had a window company paint the back of a piece of tempered glass white and install it. Very nice, cleans up really fast and easy. We also use Melamine. If you write something on the melamine and try to wipe it off right away before the marker dries (15 seconds?) it leaves a very stubborn film. Tried alcohol, 409, glass cleaners, etc.... Very hard to get off. If however, I just skip the misspelled word, wait a few seconds for the marker to dry THEN wipe off, no problem. I wish I would have discovered that little tid-bit before I spent the money on the tempered glass.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Terry Dickman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
Brian,

We have done two things; had a window company paint the back of a piece of tempered glass white and install it. Very nice, cleans up really fast and easy. We also use Melamine. If you write something on the melamine and try to wipe it off right away before the marker dries (15 seconds?) it leaves a very stubborn film. Tried alcohol, 409, glass cleaners, etc.... Very hard to get off. If however, I just skip the misspelled word, wait a few seconds for the marker to dry THEN wipe off, no problem. I wish I would have discovered that little tid-bit before I spent the money on the tempered glass.
Bill, try lacquer thinner, that takes anything off of melamine. I used to build cabinets and we used it to clean up all the adhesive on melamine edges. It works on stubborn stains on shower boards too. We have found the brand of white board markers to make a difference "Expo" works the best on shower board.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Dickman View Post
Bill, try lacquer thinner, that takes anything off of melamine. I used to build cabinets and we used it to clean up all the adhesive on melamine edges. It works on stubborn stains on shower boards too. We have found the brand of white board markers to make a difference "Expo" works the best on shower board.
+1 all that. Also some colors are harder to get off than others..black is especially hard for some reason...and red in my experience.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Lacquer thinner or Fabuloso all-purpose cleaner will take anything off the shower boards. Black is the easiest to get off. Blue is the hardest.