CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Rich Bellshot

Profile:
Red face Weider 565 Power Rack Question

OK, I'm a newby. I've been wanting to get into some of the fun I've seen on the CrossFit site, and so...

I have recently purchased a used Club Weider 565 power rack. I've set it up on the back patio, protected by a tent. Yes, I realize that is a bit unorthodox, but it's all the space I have right now.

It being quite cold in NJ, I have not used the equipment yet in the 10 days or so that I have owned it. Last night I said "Damn the cold," and I attempted to use it, only to find that I could not adjust the positions of the weight rests or the weight spotters. I checked the manual to see how I was supposed to accomplish that task, and it said to "Make sure the Adjustment Knobs (22) are fully tightened." My problem is that I'd initially assumed that they were spring-loaded knobs that I would pull out and then release into the alignment hole once the rests or spotters were properly positioned. They do not seem to be able to move in the horizontal plane--I cannot pull them out. Additionally, the "fully tightened" part of the instruction caused me to think that perhaps they were threaded; I tried turning them, but without success. I'm about to use tools, but (1) if it is threaded and I attempt to pry the knob, I will probably pull the plastic knob off of the pin, and (2) if it is not threaded, and I attempt to rotate the knob with pliers, I will probably wrench the plastic knob off of the pin. I'm thinking that possibly the cold has something to do with this, but for all six adjustment knobs to be immobile seems strange to me. (Actually, I'm thinking that might mean that they are indeed threaded and the guy who sold it to me, who can be assumed to have actually used the equipment, was just stronger than I and tightened them down very well!)

I called Weider customer srvice and they were very nice and said "Not Threaded." Just to verify that, I emailed them, and yep, they said "Threaded."

Bottom Line: Can someone please tell me how to adjust the Weight Rests and Weight Spotters on the Weider 565? Pull or rotate? I'm hoping that someone with experience either using or building this unit can help me out with a very simple question.

Thanks!

- Rich
Old 01-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
David Sailor

Profile:
Re: Weider 565 Power Rack Question

Rich,

I don't have any experience with that rack but I did a google search and the pictures I found seem to show pull pins to adjust the rack with. They appear to be kind of egg shaped and would suggest that they be pulled, not turned. If you look at the knobs on the safety bars, are they located on the insides? They definitely look like pull pins. Possibly they are frozen in place, either by weather, age or both. Try a rubber mallet or a block of wood to try and loosen them up. WD40 may be helpful, too.
For reference, my rack has both pull pins and screw pins. The screw pins are for the bar take offs and they clearly are to be turned. The shape clearly indicates they are to be turned, not pulled. The pins on the safety bars are located in the same spot as I believe yours are and are round and smooth, something you pull, not turn. Hope this helps, good luck, David.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Rich Bellshot

Profile:

Thanks for the prompt reply, David!
Thanks for the suggestions, too..I'd already tried the rubber mallet and WD-40
I'm attaching a screen cap from the page from the owner's manual that says to tighten, so I'm thinking maybe threaded again; and after reading your reply, I suppose those are knobs for turning...

Hopefully somebody who has one of these can give me a definitive answer--heck, even the manufactuer couldn't give me a straight answer!!

Thanks again, David!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 13 20.55.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	5695  
Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Rich Bellshot

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sailor View Post
Rich,

I don't have any experience with that rack but I did a google search and the pictures I found seem to show pull pins to adjust the rack with. They appear to be kind of egg shaped and would suggest that they be pulled, not turned. If you look at the knobs on the safety bars, are they located on the insides? They definitely look like pull pins. Possibly they are frozen in place, either by weather, age or both. Try a rubber mallet or a block of wood to try and loosen them up. WD40 may be helpful, too.
For reference, my rack has both pull pins and screw pins. The screw pins are for the bar take offs and they clearly are to be turned. The shape clearly indicates they are to be turned, not pulled. The pins on the safety bars are located in the same spot as I believe yours are and are round and smooth, something you pull, not turn. Hope this helps, good luck, David.
They were all threaded, thank you! I had to use a monkey wrench to get them loosened.

Well, my CrossFit career is off to an inauspicious start...

Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
David Sailor

Profile:

Good job, Rich. Now put that rack to use. Oh, and welcome to the forum! David.

Last edited by David Sailor : 01-14-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: change