CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Michael Zoda

Profile:
shoulder pain from power cleans.

So yesterday I did power cleans. It was my first time doing them with a decent amount of weight so my form might have been a little off. Sadly i dont have a video. But basically half way through the workout i started experiencing some shoulder pain. Im a hard headed person so i continued the workout anyways. the rest of the day i had a steady pain in my shoulder. Its hard to describe because i have some pain on the back side and some on the front side. Although one of the above might just be soreness from thrusters a 2 days prior. Anyways I did todays wod because i thought hey its all lower body what could it do. Anyways i just finished the workout and i have a tingling in the back side of my shoulder any suggesetions as to what this might be? do i need to see a doc or will the ice/rest straighten it out?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: shoulder pain from power cleans.

Well, it's likely that your technique is off if you damaged yourself...

There's not enough information to tell what you did... thus let's have you answer some Q's

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts

2. Which shoulder articulations hurt? wfs
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. Acute or chronic?

4. Any previous injury history?

5. How's your posture?

6. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart?

7. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

8. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

Initial impressions -- I'm thinking maybe some external rotator strain or maybe AC joint involvement, but just to be sure you should answer the Q's thoroughly...

For now if it's soft tissue you can: REST, take anti-inflammatory like fish oil (3-5g EPA+DHA), self massage 3-5x per day of 10-15 minutes each trying to loosen up tender/tight/painful spots, possibly some light stretching and keeping it moving/loose. Compression and possibly ice if there's swelling.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Michael Zoda

Profile:

1. http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/8...rsurgery10.jpg (wfs)

2.Flexion, Transverse Adduction (end of the motion when elbows come together), Transverse Abduction (end of motion when arms are furthest apart). none of these were tried with weight. Just kinda of went through the motions and looked for pain

3. Chronic pain for a period of time after activity. If I relax and the pain will subside.

4. Slight shoulder seperation in 2008

5. it seems ok. But a friend of mine noted that the shoulder that's in pain appears lower than the other shoulder. Almost as if i was slouching my right side down.

6. 2 days prior i did fran. Then the day of I did power cleans for 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

7. Doesn't seem swollen. The area on the circle is tender on both shoulder. More so on the injured (right). Also the chronic pain only exists on the right shoulder.

8. Ice doesn't seem to do much the chronic pain goes away after awhile but reappears after activity. Somehow got very aggravated from today's wod. Could be from the impact from the broad jumps but idk?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, that's your AC joint being reaggravated from the shoulder separation.

Basically,

Rest, ice if helps, otherwise take fish oil for anti-inflam (.5g EPA+DHA 10 lbs body mass + vitamin K for coagulent), self massage the muscles around the shoulder.

Wait 'til it calms down.

Then do some strengthening of the RC cuff with rotator exercises and work your wayback into exercise SLOWLY.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Michael Zoda

Profile:

i think i just had a major idiot moment. The shoulder seperation was my other shoulder.

On another note the pain has been lessening. still not gone but lessening.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

I get shoulder pain when I do Power Cleans also, but I attribute it to the fierce pulling up I have to do to lift the weight explosively. It feels totally like exercise soreness, albeit level 2 instead of the normal level 1 soreness, and there's a slight "prickiness" to it, if you get my meaning, but it doesn't feel at all like an injury. One thing I have to remember when doing some of these exercises is that the joints take longer to get stronger than the muscle, so it's easy to work oneself beyond your joint's strength although within your muscle's, and this can cause some pain/soreness also.

Just my 0,2c in case it helps

Diego