CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Steven Price

Profile:
high intensity vs. low intensity training, continued

Unless I have missed the discussion on this Forum, I think you will find the following study very interesting:

http://hk.humankinetics.com/eJournal...pdfs/17324.pdfYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

It has been discussed on the following rowing Forum:

http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9932YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Cutting right to the conclusions, at least the way I read the data, shows that 36 elite German junior rowers spent 95% of their ROWING time in "low" intensity workouts (blood lactate <2mmol/L; heart rates <160bpm) (which would be about 80% max heart rate for these young folks, my interpretation). They spent only about 3% of their time in "high intensity" workouts, ramping up during the competition period. They rowed about 97km/week. Furthermore, their total rowing time was only 52% of their weekly workout, while resistance training occupied 27% of their time, and this was "high repetitions with moderate loads."

The authors call this training "polarized," ie, extreme low-intensity combined with high intensity (my interpretation).

Additionally, the authors feature this training as maximizing performance with decreasing over-training, injuries, etc. (I may have overstated this).

Training for the long-haul?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Michael Ingley

Profile:
Re: high intensity vs. low intensity training, continued

very interesting, I don't know if this is related but since I've started doing some LSD at nights for about 15-20 mins of just chill jogging, I've started doing wayyyy better on my WODS, as far as breathing and just feeling fine is concerned
Old 01-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:

For me low intensity training is something I do ALL the time. I walk, I am a furniture mover (mostly boxes, some pianos). I bike. I dance.

High intensity training I do only occasionally.

I like this approach myself. But I also have very little recovery time. I don't lounge, I don't 'chill'. I work all the time. I miss sleep.

I imagine if I lead a life of leisure I would be able to handle more high intensity training, but for now, with my inability to rest whenever I need to, I do really well by just remaining moderately active most of the time.

Someone like a hunter gatherer in a high resource ecosystem could probably handle my level of low intensity (walking, gathering wood, chopping, etc.) AND more bouts of intense exercise (hunting, hauling deer carcasses up hills, running, etc.)

I am reminded of the true story of the real life Robinson Crusoe.

His name was Alexander Selkirk and he was marooned with a lot of gun powder and ammo.

After exhausting his supply he found that the natural diet and leisure of living on an island had made his body far healthier than life in Britain or on the ship.

So he took to running down the goats on the island. He would just chase them until they tired and collapsed.

Once he was retrieved by another ship, he took to drinking and eating a low nutrient diet again, and his vigor rapidly decreased.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Tom Fetter

Profile:

It's important, I think, that this is low intensity ... with a difference.

When most of us climb on an erg to do lower intensity work, we don't pull as hard. Sure, our stroke rate drops, but the strength of our pull also drops.

The lower training splits these kids used maintained the same amount of force for each stroke, but paired them with longer recovery phases. The actual pull was just as hard as when rowing at a much more intense split ... but the metabolic intensity was reduced by taking longer to get back to the starting position for the next pull.

Which means that the kids were always training for power output, always training the CNS for the same strength intensity, regardless of the metabolic intensity.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Donald Lee

Profile:

I posted this on another forum, and Lyle just directed me to his endurance training article series.