CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Greasey machine shop smell

Ok, we're about to move into a place (if we can get around the city's "we love the international building code more than individual freedom and business" mindset). This new place is the typical industrial space here in Michigan, a closed down machine shop that went downhill because they thought the automotive industry would last forever...

So, the guy's got his old machines out, and the smell has diminished some since we last were in the place, but it's still got a fairly strong odor of grease and just that "stinky machine shop" smell. Great if we were doing automotive repair, not so great if we're doing workouts.

Do you guys have any ideas for getting the smell of grease out of this place, besides just letting it air out as much as possible? Since it's Michigan, and almost January, "open the doors and let it air out" is a limited answer here.

Last edited by Matt DeMinico : 12-21-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Greasey machine shop smell

I'd shoot for two complementary strategies.

1) Something to absorb the odor
- I can't testify to this stuff (no experience with it), but maybe something like this (wfs). This was the result of a Google search for "industrial odor absorber." I just chose the first result and pasted it in here. Other following results could be even better.

2) Something to mask it
- Haven't done this search for you, but a similar Google search for "industrial air freshener" would probably yield some good options.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Tom Senkevich

Profile:

Use cat litter to get any grease/oils/coolants off the floor. Then take a healthy dose of simple green and a hard bristle brush to the floors, walls, and ceilings. Also check the ventilation system in the building as the vapors/dust have likely accumulated there over the years.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Thanks. I've seen some of those odor eliminators around, might not be a bad idea to try a few dozen of them (I dunno how many, but it's 6400 sq ft, 20' ceilings, so there's a lotta surface emitting grease smell).

I do like the idea for cat litter... works great in the garage soaking up oil. Maybe we take a day and just dump a few hundred pounds on the floor, then go around with a roller and grind it in, then a heavy broom to turn it all up, and finally just grab the leaf blower (and a respirator, hoy...) and get all the crap out of whatever cracks we can, sweep it all up, and be good with it.

I imagine the majority of the stuff is on the floor itself, so maybe sealing it would work. We've yet to buy enough mats to cover it, but that's a whole new problem when we get brand new mats, the rubber smell... but it goes away eventually.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

No help on the odor problem here, but your new place sounds great. 6400 sq ft and 20 ft ceilings....lots of area and height for Crossfit "playground".

Good luck on the new location.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

And get busy with the workouts asap. It won't be long before your box has that ol' familiar Crossfit Sweat-n-Fart fragrance.

Crossfart

- Mark
Old 12-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I just talked to a few companies, the best solution they suggested was something to scrub as much of the grease off the concrete as possible, since there's probably still a pretty significant amount on or near the surface. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Matt Holmer

Profile:

Could you use a product like Kilz Primer on the floor before putting down the mats?

My old apartment had a very bad urine smell from cat pee that had soaked into the subfloor. A good sanding and 2 Coats of Kilz completely blocked the smell.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Joey Powell

Profile:

I am still not sure why you wouldn't want the smell.. Personally, I think an old tire shop would be heaven!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Senkevich View Post
Then take a healthy dose of simple green and a hard bristle brush to the floors, walls, and ceilings.
This. I essentially grew up in a machine shop and Simple Green is the degreaser of choice.

After coating the floor with cat litter and letting it sit and then removing it...

I would get a garden sprayer type thing from the hardware store, and spray diluted simple green everywhere. Brush it down, shop vac up the liquid. Repeat multiple times.