CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Joel Hunter Unsworth

Profile:
Protein Carbs Fat

Hello everyone my name is Joel I am new to posting on CF forum But i have been reading everyone's post for a long time. I am 165pds 6'1" 33" waist and 25 yrs old 10.5% fat. I eat on average 230g of protein 70g of fat 100 grams of carbs and calories 2300 +/- i was wondering what kind of results/health issues or changes i should make to be more efficient and operate at a optimum level right now i feel great with what i am doing but i would like to increase weight to 180+ and drop fat %
Old 12-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Protein Carbs Fat

If you are feeling great then why change anything? Tinker with your macro ratios if you want see what ratios work the best for you. To gain weight just eat more, the "more" depending on how fast you want to gain. I would up your fat intake since your protein is already pretty high.

Gaining weight and losing BF are two goals at the complete end of the spectrum. Gain the weight first then focus on losing the BF, it will be easier then. Lift heavy stuff on top of CF or do SS, it will stimulate more muscle growth and increase your strength more than if you did only CF. Plus, by lifting heavy often, more of the weight you put on will be in the form of muscle.

Last edited by Joe Bernard : 12-19-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I agree, get big first, then wqorry about trying to cut. It will be easier with all the muscle you then have.

CHeck out 70's big for tips on how to eat.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Luke Hale

Profile:

What about paleo + milk?

It sounds like he wants to be bigger, but not 70's bigger
Old 12-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Joel Hunter Unsworth

Profile:

okay so lets say, what is a good protein/carb/fat ratio for a daily calorie intake and does that ratio change if you are trying to add, maintain or drop weight? I am currently doing maxed out lifts after each WOD but would you recommend substituting one day of CF for maxed out lifts? I think i understand that i need to keep my % of BF while building muscle then what do i do keep the same ratio of protein carbs and fat and drop the calorie amount or do i keep the calorie amount and drop the ratio of fat and carbs

Last edited by Joel Hunter Unsworth : 12-19-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Joel Hunter Unsworth

Profile:

okay so lets say, what is a good protein/carb/fat ratio for a daily calorie intake and does that ratio change if you are trying to add, maintain or drop weight? I am currently doing maxed out lifts after each WOD but would you recommend substituting one day of CF for maxed out lifts? I think i understand that i need to keep my % of BF while building muscle then what do i keep the same ratio of protein carbs and fat and drop the calorie amount or do i keep the calorie amount and drop the ratio of fat and carbs
Old 12-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Hunter Unsworth View Post
okay so lets say, what is a good protein/carb/fat ratio for a daily calorie intake and does that ratio change if you are trying to add, maintain or drop weight? I am currently doing maxed out lifts after each WOD but would you recommend substituting one day of CF for maxed out lifts? I think i understand that i need to keep my % of BF while building muscle then what do i keep the same ratio of protein carbs and fat and drop the calorie amount or do i keep the calorie amount and drop the ratio of fat and carbs
The ratio depends on you, everyone is different. Do heavy lifts before the WODs or set aside days devoted solely to them; doing them after when you are tired is not going to help (unless it's the games). You will gain fat as you gain muscle, that's the cold hard fact, BF% will increase. Just eat more, I suggest up the fat intake because since, like I said, protein is already high.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Yeah like the others have said, u need to eat more. Try 3000. 165 is light for your height

The ratios don't matter so much, once you are getting enough protein (you are getting more than enough), its up to you. Choose the foods you most enjoy.

I'd prob eat more carbs, 100g is not lot and carbs are delicious, but really it is your choice.

What matters is the kcal surplus combined with weight lifting.

Enjoy! Forget the fat, its winter. Worry about that in a few months, when you are less weedy :P
Old 12-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Tony Sutton

Profile:

I am not sure if any one mentioned it but correct me if i am wrong. 10% bf is pretty good if you ask me and I was under the impression when you dip lower in bf % that it will make strength more difficult to gain.

The best advice I recieved in this forum was to lift hard and eat for performance and dont worry about calories. I use to drive myself crazy thinking about calories in relation to performance but now I just listen to what my body wants. For example after those running days I usually eat a lot more but cloths are fitting looser and strength lifts are better then ever. But thats just me.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Up that to like 3500 kcal. Protein looks fine. Get at least 150g carbs more if youre doing longer wods. Make up the rest of the cals in fats.