CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
Bryan Edge

Profile:
So after the "3 bars of Death" my lower back was a bit sore the following morning. Not debilitatin, but sore. Is this reasonably normal, or a sign that I lifted poorly or with too much weight?

I'm generally very conscious of form and try to lift as heavily as I can while maintaining it.

That said, I'm still relatively new to the O-lifts, and mostly learn by watching the videos.

Is a moderately sore lower back fairly normal (like a sore chest after benching, for example), or should I scale the weight down a bit more?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
I was also sore after Linda. The muscles involved in the deadlift are developing, albeit slowly. My gauge to whether the soreness is normal or not is how I can function the next day. If I'm laid up on the couch - I've overdone it. If it doesn't affect my typical routine (WoD, work, life) then I just mutter softly about how "Linda worked me over last night" while raising eyebrows from my coworkers ;)
Old 10-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
Alex McClung

Profile:
I usually get sore in my traps after a good DL workout. I usually get sore in the lower back after losing good DL form.

Friday was my first 100% Linda, at BW = 220#. After the 8 rep round 330# was moving very slow and form was drifting badly. My back was fried all weekend. Not injured, but sore and stiff to the point of being very uncomfortable and not working out for 2 days.

I spent about 50 minutes today loosening up the lower back with light OHS work and have been pain-free the rest of the day.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Oh yeah. Linda leaves my lower back very tender for a few days.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Nick Thomas

Profile:  
I didn't do Linda this time... but last time it came up, I was sore for about 5-6 days. I scaled the WOD down, but I should probably have scaled it down more.

I don't think moderately sore is anything to worry about.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
John Devine

Profile:  
Yes, Im glad to see other people were as sore as me. Good means im doing something right. I was very very sore. Also do people here get tight and sore in the calves from doing burpees?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Last big burpee WO i did my calves where sore for a week.

I have had a sore => painful lower back for over week, at first i thought it was a result of uping my weights for helen (thanks Andrew)and training with a 120kg BJJ blackbelt while on holidays last week. And it partly was DOMS.

But after a week its still here and worse.I'ts been that bad it's affected my grappling and WOD, and day in general.
Yesterday, after having to run with a PT client i worked out what it was not back problem (it didn't hurt to run) but refered pain from tight ITB's.
I usually feel tight ITB's as pain in my knees but this time its in my back.
I did some releases in them and it felt a little better(other than the actaully realising that hurst like a B+@%*), more release and acupunture today and i should be back pain free.

Point! Not all back pain is caused directly the back or WOD, some times your legs, hamstrings, ITB or quads can be the cause of the problem.(Also true for knee pain)check out pressure point artical in CJ
And a WOD that works the back can "switch" the pain on because the back muscles are tired.