CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Louis Andre Pardo

Profile:
Calorie intake variation for OFF DAYS?

Should one vary the amount of calories one takes in during the off days? I know the body recovers/grows/gets stronger on off days but would it be unreasonable to cut back calories since there is no working out on that day or should the calorie intake be consistent regardless?

Would this have different implications based on different goals? Strength gains vs. GPP training?

In my particular case, I need/burn about 2700 cal/day on days I work out. I am doing CFSB and taking in 4000 cal/day to accelerate gains in strength. On Off Days I only need about 2200 cal/day. What if on Off Days I went down to 3000 cal? That would still be a significant calorie overage.

Thoughts?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Allyson Dill

Profile:
Re: Calorie intake variation for OFF DAYS?

Hi, Louis:

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but here's my two cents.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is your basal metabolic rate, which is the minimum number of calories required for physiological processes to occur. In other words, if you simply laid in bed all day, you wouldn't need to consume any more calories than your BMR dictates to avoid wasting away.

Here's a quick BMR calculator:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ (WFS)

Unfortunately, like the BMI, this calculator does not take body composition into account. Muscle burns considerably more calories at rest than fat, and thus requires more energy to be maintained. Furthermore, if muscle growth is one of your goals, then even more calories must be consumed to allow for repairs. I'd say that anywhere from 200-500 calories over the BMR is acceptable for an active individual, and possibly more depending on what your goals are.

I don't see anything wrong with reducing calorie intake on rest days, since the energy requirement is going to be less than on a workout day. In fact, maintaining the same calorie intake regardless of activity level is likely going to result in weight gain, since the body will store excess energy as fat. It doesn't take long for 3500 extra calories to add up and turn into a pound of fat...bah!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You need to take your recovery as serious as your workouts. Eat up on rest days. You'll need it the day after.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
You need to take your recovery as serious as your workouts. Eat up on rest days. You'll need it the day after.
If you lower your calories on off days you will stall much faster than if you just kept up the eating. Plus, you are eating to gain some strength and size, why lower calories?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
Louis Andre Pardo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
If you lower your calories on off days you will stall much faster than if you just kept up the eating. Plus, you are eating to gain some strength and size, why lower calories?
I know, but ultimately there is mass that is just fat. While I want to maximize strength gains I am sure there is a point of diminishing returns where all the extra calories are doing is making me fatter. I dont think taking in 6000 cal would help me anymore than my current 4000 cal but it sure would make me fatter. On off days, would my recovery suffer because I only took in 3000, which is still an 800 cal surplus, vice 4000? If not then those extra calories are just going to fat and providing no additional benefit.

I understand that the program that I am on will require fat gain but infinite calories will not yield infinite return- there is a point of negligible and then diminishing returns and leads me to believe there is a point of excess calories and a good place to look would be on my off days...yes? no?

What about others? Should there be intake variation on GPP or endurance programs?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
Louis Andre Pardo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyson Dill View Post
Hi, Louis:

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but here's my two cents.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is your basal metabolic rate, which is the minimum number of calories required for physiological processes to occur. In other words, if you simply laid in bed all day, you wouldn't need to consume any more calories than your BMR dictates to avoid wasting away.

Here's a quick BMR calculator:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ (WFS)

Unfortunately, like the BMI, this calculator does not take body composition into account. Muscle burns considerably more calories at rest than fat, and thus requires more energy to be maintained. Furthermore, if muscle growth is one of your goals, then even more calories must be consumed to allow for repairs. I'd say that anywhere from 200-500 calories over the BMR is acceptable for an active individual, and possibly more depending on what your goals are.

I don't see anything wrong with reducing calorie intake on rest days, since the energy requirement is going to be less than on a workout day. In fact, maintaining the same calorie intake regardless of activity level is likely going to result in weight gain, since the body will store excess energy as fat. It doesn't take long for 3500 extra calories to add up and turn into a pound of fat...bah!
Allyson, Thanks. I am familiar with BMR and that is how I came up with 2200 cal for my Off Days. Workout days I think I am around 2600-2700. That is kind of why I think 3000 on Off Days would still be sufficient for adequate recovery, growth and strength gains....but I value the experience and opinions here so I am asking.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
Laura Kurth

Profile:

how skinny are you?

If you are just a regular guy who isn't particularly scrawny and isn't a newbie to lifting, I'd certainly suggest cutting down the kcal. A 1300kcal excess per day (or more on off days!) is certainly going to result in quite a lot of fat gain over time.

Your body can only make so much new muscle tissue. You can keep throwing kcal at it and it might help you with strength and recovery, but you will also gain some fat. So it depends, how much getting a bit fatter bothers you? If you want to keep fat gain down, I'd keep the rest days at 3000 if I were you.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
Your body can only make so much new muscle tissue. You can keep throwing kcal at it and it might help you with strength and recovery, but you will also gain some fat.
+1

If body composition is an issue, many will use higher protein on off days...as it gives enough amino acids for recovery (as that is when muscle is built...not while working out) and also provides a lower chance of fat storage when compared to higher intake of carbs/fat. Finding balance is key....and you can always cycle carbs to pwo or weekend reloads. Many approaches...tweak and find what works for you.