CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Wrist Wraps for Olympic Lifting

Question about wrist wraps and Olympic lifts:

I strained my wrists upon missing a heavy clean about a week and a half ago and am still having some pain in the racked position in my c&j and in the overhead position in my snatch. Are wrist wraps such as these:

http://www.prowriststraps.com/the_wr...s_powerliftingYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

appropriate for a little bracing while my wrists heal and for future lifting?

I wrapped up with some tape to do a football WOD and that worked wonderfully. I'm wondering whether it would be worth the 25 bucks.

Thanks in advance,

Matt.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Kevin Mueller

Profile:
Re: Wrist Wraps for Olympic Lifting

For olympic lifting, I prefer the old-style leather wraps ($25 from Risto Sports (wfs)). With leather wraps, you don't have to crank them super tight to get great support - with the elastic wraps I find that you have to crank them so tight to get support that you can't get your hands cocked back properly, particularly in the rack position of the C&J. The leather wraps will not be really tight on your wrists until you bend them back.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Do those fit well around the upper wrist going into the hand? The strain I have is right at the wrist, in this position:

http://physicalsubculture.com/wp-con...hoovj4eacd.jpgYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

What I'm looking for is something to take a bit of the pressure off of my wrists, to basically impede good form.

What I'm also thinking is to just rest my injury (although that's hard to do). I have thanksgiving break coming up soon, so that will be a week of no working out. If I'm still having problems after that, and those leather wraps are what I'm looking for, I'll give them a go.

Thanks,

Matt.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Kevin Mueller

Profile:

That position, as well as the top position of the jerk, are where I feel the most support from the leather wraps.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

here's what we use:
http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...e-support.html (WFS)

We also tape the ends of the wraps with athletic tape. Thanks to Boz for saving this one (it got lost with when our old site went down).

Cheap, easy & quick.

I also love it for workouts like Helen - wrapped loosely it prevents the sweat from coming onto your palms while running thus saving you from ripping & re-chalking.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Michael Hartman

Profile:

Personally, I like to use just athletic tape, as do most competitive weightlifters. I think, like Kevin mentioned, it comes down to having the support without the bulky excess material found in most of the powerlifting style wraps for racking cleans. I have yet to try the leather style wraps but they could be the best bet; reusable, supportive, without the restriction of other styles.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Mike Neill

Profile:

I have a nerve impingement that no amount of stretching or assistance exercises can help - no matter what, the longer I bend my wrists back and/or the more weight I put on them while bent back, the more the nerve gets fired up. One time I decided to “push through the pain” and was unable to function for three days afterward: no wrists = no hands. No hands = kinda hard to do stuff.

These keep the fine bones from riding up on the nerve:

12” Red Devil wraps http://www.titansupport.com/products...ps-12-std.html [WFS link]

They are thin and do not provide much support but I don’t need much, just need to keep the fine bones in place. The longer lengths would be too much bulk. Red Devil is a standard fixture in powerlifting. Titan makes others that are thicker and stiffer but I found even the next grade heavier was too stiff. Without these, I can’t do more than 3 or 4 heavy cleans before my wrists are incapacitated but with them I can do a proper workout.

I find that most competitive weightlifters that need support at all use straps because they are so much more convenient than tape and do not grab hair like tape does.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Christian Salas

Profile:

I personally got the "Blood Stripe" 24" wrist wraps:
http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/5820YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

As a shot putter, I found they worked much better (aka cheaper) than using athletic tape every work out. Also the Olympic and world champion Villi from New Zealand uses the exact same wraps!

Anyway, they're "light to medium" support, and they do a great job of supporting my wrists in the c&j and snatch. Because of the relative long length they support well without being very tight, but are not huge gobs of elastic that get in the way.

But that said, I recently injured my wrist (not while Olympic Lifting) and have found through experience that it will be best to lay off the OL and pressing movements for a few weeks and let it heal, rather than possibly aggravating it, even while using wrist support.

Use the time to work on your back squats, and other assistance exercises. You might also experiment with alternate grips on other exercises. For instance during my last wrist injury, it would hurt with wide-grip bench presses, but be fine for narrow grip benching.

Good luck, and take it easy coming back. Don't make it worse!
Old 11-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
Paul LaDuke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Neill View Post
I have a nerve impingement that no amount of stretching or assistance exercises can help - no matter what, the longer I bend my wrists back and/or the more weight I put on them while bent back, the more the nerve gets fired up. One time I decided to “push through the pain” and was unable to function for three days afterward: no wrists = no hands. No hands = kinda hard to do stuff.

These keep the fine bones from riding up on the nerve:

12” Red Devil wraps http://www.titansupport.com/products...ps-12-std.html [WFS link]

They are thin and do not provide much support but I don’t need much, just need to keep the fine bones in place. The longer lengths would be too much bulk. Red Devil is a standard fixture in powerlifting. Titan makes others that are thicker and stiffer but I found even the next grade heavier was too stiff. Without these, I can’t do more than 3 or 4 heavy cleans before my wrists are incapacitated but with them I can do a proper workout.

I find that most competitive weightlifters that need support at all use straps because they are so much more convenient than tape and do not grab hair like tape does.
Those are exactly the wrist wraps that I use, although I think mine are a bit longer. These style wrist wraps aren't as stiff as the wraps commonly used by powerlifters. Powerlifters don't want any movement in the wrist when doing bench presses, weightlifters want support with movement.

I broke a small bone (navicular) in my left wrist 25 years ago. I was in a cast for 4 months because that bone has a poor blood supply and heals slowly if it heals at all. It gives me problems when I snatch due to the wrist position. Using that red stripe wrist wrap helps tremendously. FWIW, I just won the silver medal at the USAW Masters weightlifting championships in the 40-44 yo age group, 94kg class with a snatch of 215lbs and a clean and jerk of 265lbs. I just missed a snatch of 225lbs and I cleaned 280lbs but failed to jerk it.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
http://www.prowriststraps.com/the_wr...s_powerliftingYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.
Off topic: the video at this link (WFS), the dude does a giant 1000# squat and it looks like his nose starts bleeding? Is this normal for super powerlifters? I mean, it makes sense that at least that starts bleeding at that weight.