CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Adam Bennett

Profile:
Carb Withdrawal Symptoms?

Hi all,

my wife and i recently started Zoning (just over a week ago) and while i have been doing it pretty easy my wife has been struggling a bit.

Before we began i was trying to eat a pretty healthy diet, fairly close to the zone just without the WAM. By contrast my wife has been working in a bakery for the last couple of months, surrounded by sugar all day and as such her diet - during the day at work at least - had gone downhill. She had already been struggling with her weight for a little while anyway and this certainly wasn't making it any easier for her.

Not long after we started she began to experience symptoms such as:
-feeling bloated
-stomach cramping/feeling of butterflies in stomach
-mild nausea
-irritability/mood swings
-trouble sleeping
-occasional chest tightness
-craving bread, etc

This has been getting increasingly unpleasant for her over the last day or two to the point where she is nearly ready to chuck the whole thing in.

So my question is has anyone else experienced symptoms such as these when starting to zone, esp when converting from a high refined carb/sugar diet? I was wondering is this just withdrawal symptoms or could it be something else? She was fine before we started so i thought maybe it is just her body reacting to the sudden reduction in carbs, trying to get more. The symptoms sound a bit like what you might expect in a detox kind of situation. After reading the CFJ articles like "Getting Off The Crack" and "Meth In A Can" i would not be surprised.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Adam.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Carb Withdrawal Symptoms?

Adam, a couple years ago, my wife and I did the South Beach diet to drop a few before our wedding. She is an admitted Carb-o-holic. Loves bread, loves rice, loves pasta. The first 2 weeks of SB Diet are pretty much like Paleo diet. No grains of any kind.

She. Was. Miserable. She had almost all of the symptoms you explained for almost the entire 2 weeks. It started to fade off toward the end.

Fast forward to this month. About 10 days ago, my wife and I started the 30-day Paleo challenge. This time around, she is already used to not having a starch or that much bread at dinner time, because thats how I have been cooking all year. From the beginning, she has had no issues or bad symptoms.

The long and the short of it is: Your wife is probably a carbaholic too... and she's having a bit of withdrawl. I would expect that she will begin to level out in a week or so more. Make sure she is eating enough fat (and enough period) or else it will make things worse for her.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Feeling cruddy like that is very common at first when going through a major carb drop. I'm using an IF/Ketosis cycle right now and I nearly forgot how it felt when I dropped from a heavier load of carbs a few years ago.

Bo's spot on with the effects wearing off in about 2 weeks or so. So either your wife can hang in there just a bit longer or she might have to be weened off of carbs a bit more gradually if it gets to be too much to tolerate (this is where cheat days or cheat meals can work wonders).
Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Laura Kurth

Profile:

well if she 'chucks it in' she just goes back to eating baked goods all day and remaining overweight forever? I'm sure if she thinks about it rationally she will see this is hardly an attractive thing to go back to...

did she start eating any foods that she didn't used to, when the healthy challenge began?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Also, are you sure she is getting enough kcal? the zone can be on the low end for women often, and it might just be a HUGE kcal drop for her causing her to feel bad
Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

about 2 weeks into Paleo, I started having these vivid dreams of eating cakes and cookies. The funny thing is that I could REALLY taste them.. The sensation in my taste buds were really vivid. Sometimes I'd wake up and could almost still taste it in my mouth.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
about 2 weeks into Paleo, I started having these vivid dreams of eating cakes and cookies. The funny thing is that I could REALLY taste them.. The sensation in my taste buds were really vivid. Sometimes I'd wake up and could almost still taste it in my mouth.
That still happens to me sometimes.I like thoughs dreams, its like having a cheat meal but without the side effects