CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #21
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Kipping is cheating... just like pumping your arms when you run is cheating.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:52 PM   #22
Mike Yukish

Profile:
What is the benefit to kipping over regular pullups?

I have a pretty good kip, since I played volleyball as a young'un and kipping is real similar to spiking in body motion. The WOD the other day had us doing 150 reps of pullups. I hadn't done any for about 2+ weeks ,due to vacation and other reasons. After doing the WOD, I was sore in the biceps and forearms for a few days.

More importantly for this discussion, I was quite sore in my abs too. As I ran out of arms at about rep 100, it became very much an ab workout. So in that regard, it was very much a whole body/core workout.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #23
Bryant Powers

Profile:
It doesn't have anything to do with kipping but don't forget uneven ring pull-ups where one ring is higher then the other. Its a great movement and a good way to work up to a one arm pull up.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:06 PM   #24
Pat Janes

Profile:

I'm with you, Mike on the 150 pullup WOD; the one with the wallball, right? I also did "G.I. Jane" yesterday, 100 pullup burpees, so I was already hurting in the pullup department.

I was really struggling in the biceps and lats during the pullups and have no doubt I would still be doing that WOD (about an hour later) if I didn't kip. My kip isn't all that pretty, but it certainly does increase my efficiency and power output. I was doing mostly sets of 10 to complete the 150 and by the 6-7th rep in each set my lats and biceps were burning, but the benefit of violent hip extension kept me going.

I'm going to be relying on kipping for the upcoming "Murph" WOD too, if I want to complete the 100 pullups without interspersing them with the pushups and squats.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #25
David Wood

Profile:

Chris Forbis said:

Kipping is cheating... just like pumping your arms when you run is cheating.

That may be the simplest, and clearest, answer to this whole issue I've ever heard.

Thanks, Chris.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:57 AM   #26
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
David,

Ditto on Chris.
5 stars to him then for being such a good definer of stuff. :wink:
Old 08-18-2005, 07:25 AM   #27
William Hunter

Profile:
Not only succinct, but I got a good chuckle trying to visualize someone running with their arms locked to their sides.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #28
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
The more I think about it, the more awesome and complete an explanation it is. There goes another vote. :proud:
Old 08-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #29
John Walsh

Profile:
The way I see it cheating only occurs if you don’t the full range of motion. Partial pull-ups are cheating pull-ups when you are capable of full range pull-ups. I think a lot of this business of “is kipping cheating” comes from the bodybuilding concept of training. Don’t cheat on your curls because you won’t get that double bicep peak. That’s pretty boy stuff. In sport, at least manly sports, you don’t get scored for your technique or your lat spread. If I knock you out or down who cares about my form from an aesthetic perspective. Rocky Marciano was considered an awkward and clumsy fighter but he never lost a bout and he usually knocked guys out.

Kipping or not pull-ups suck, I suck at them and they are very hard for me. I do them anyway. I don’t think I either kip or do the strict style. I do Irish pull-ups. In this version you contort, kick, curse, spit and generally do what ever you have to in order to get your double chin over the bar.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #30
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
Not trying to be melodramatic, but if I am ever hanging from a bar, ledge, etc. over a vat of boiling oil, canyon, abyss, (insert some other form of perilous drop off here) I am kipping my @$$ off to get to safety, particularly if I am in full firefighting turnouts and SCBA (add about 45 lbs. to your bodyweight). If this really is all about functional fitness, then the movements we make in our workouts should be the ones that translate most easily into the real world situations where your life could depend on it.