CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
Steven C. Herndon

Profile:

I just got done watching the Russian Kettlebell Challenge d.v.d., and other than the flip of the k.b. at the top, and maybe a slight dip in the legs, what is the functional differance between the snatch and American swing that Crossfit advocates? Other than not bruising my forearms and a faster turnaround at the top with the swing, I do not see much differance. Am I missing something, do I need to watch the d.v.d. and read the book again?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
When you do a swing you thrust the hips forward and the weight travels up at an arc in front of your body because the arms don't bend. Also you start with the weight hanging between the legs. Another distinguishing feature is that you simply straighten the legs for each swing.

When you do a snatch, you usually start from the floor but can start from a hang. Second, you thrust the hips, but you explode the weight straight up, the arms bend and the weight travels close to the body. Also you do a second bend of the knees so you can catch the weight overhead and then come up to stand with the weight over your head.

Does that clear it up?

Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
bill fox

Profile:

You can also manipulate the pace with the snatch. One of the most unique features of the KB is the ability to "rack" it both for the jerk and at the top of the snatch. And it's cool.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Besides the technique differences mentioned, the biggest difference I see is that you can swing with (relatively) less than complete effort. Because the snatch is travelling much higher, you really need to commit to getting the weight above your head, and it's harder to "coast".
Old 07-25-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
Steven C. Herndon

Profile:

Thanks guys! I guess I just need to watch the video and look at the book again. I thought the snatch was a close-into-the-body pull, almost straight up, but then on the video it looked, to me, as if Pavel was doing a swing out, just racking the k.b. over head. Since I have decided to do the recommended American swing, to me it appearead the major differance was the rack at the end, and the faster pace I seemed to go with the swing. I guess I just did not pay close enough attention.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
With both the KB Snatch and KB Swing you keep your arm straight through most of the movement. The KB will move away from your body (unlike a barbell snatch). The main difference or reason you might choose to do KB Snatches as opposed to KB Swings relates to the development of shoulder strength and stability during the rack position in the KB Snatch. There are some other differences, but this is probably the main difference.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
bill fox

Profile:

Not so much.

During an "elite" KB repititon snatch, if you will, the "pull" or "podriv" (yank in russian) is over at about belt level,and involves a rearward shrug that sets the KB on a more linear path. At that point the arm bends while just sort of going along with the KB for the catch above.

In a dead snatch off the floor this is even more true, but we're usually talking about rep snatches and swings here.

Bill
Old 07-26-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
You need to get some KB lessons from an RKC or someone who has trained A LOT with an RKC.

There are MANY variations of the snatch, and even of the swing. You can have a very wide, long arc, in which you project the bell out as it goes up, OR you can yank it close to the body or somewhere in between those two. You can use a lot of knee dip/squating or you can jackknife at the hips, barely bending your knees at all.

While doing snatches from hang or a dead start are commonly used, you can also dead start a swing if you put the KB inline with, or slightly behind your ankles. As you explode up, your arms will stay straight, but the arc will be much steeper.

The swing also can be done to any level - the waist, the chest, the head, or overhead. As long as you LOCK the hips, and keep the arms straight, it's a swing.

When you know how to snatch a KB, you no longer bruise your forearms. What the snatch adds is the locking out of the single arm, which stresses your triceps more than plain swings.

Email me at kbfiremantom@yahoo.com with any other Qs.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
There are obviously many different forms of KB snatches, DB snatches, BB snatches etc. The original question was relating the difference between a swing and the KB snatch as described that Pavel was doing during a video. The important thing is to understand how and why one might do any different variation of any of these movements.
Cheers!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Tom Needham

Profile:
Can one of you RKC's here tell me what the pros/cons of the following two forms of snatches would be?

1) Traditional swing snatch

2) High Pull Snatch
(Mahler does this one in his Kettlebell for MMA video, where the KB is on dead on the ground, no back swing)

Thanks in advance,

Bert