CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Zach Krogdahl

Profile:
Huge Decline in Quality

http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.co...of-emails.html NOT WFS

Did anyone see this article? Although he is very critical I would say that the majority of what he says is true. Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Louis H. Poulin II

Profile:
Re: Huge Decline in Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Krogdahl View Post
http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.co...of-emails.html NOT WFS

Did anyone see this article? Although he is very critical I would say that the majority of what he says is true. Thoughts?
I was wondering how long it was gonna take someone to post this around here. :stir:

I'm going for popcorn.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis H. Poulin II View Post
I was wondering how long it was gonna take someone to post this around here. :stir:

I'm going for popcorn.
me too
Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Andy Robinson

Profile:  

he's absolutely spot on...main reason I jumped ship a while ago...24-7 metcons are lame, especially when you can't even lift your own ***...the zone IS an eating disorder... take your crap back to the nest....

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 10-06-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Robinson View Post
he's absolutely spot on...main reason I jumped ship a while ago...24-7 metcons are lame, especially when you can't even lift your own ***...the zone IS an eating disorder...take your crap back to the nest....
"the zone IS an eating disorder."

Care to elaborate - in your own words?

I'm interested in what you have to say about it, because I have been able to maintain it for the last 2 years, I lost 30# and over 10% BF and I have seen strength and metcon increases across the board. I am a smallish, old guy @ 5'7" 160# and 39 y.o. I've got a sub 4:00 Fran, 200# C&J, and 960# CFT. I saw most of my performance increases AFTER I started the Zone. I do not feel deprived of food and very rarely am I hungry - unless I've had a meal that had more than average size grain or starch content.

To the article...
IMHO -
If he (or any affiliate) doesn't like the structure of CF, then it is a good thing he has cut his ties with CF. It is hard to walk the walk and talk the talk, if you are only going through the motions and don't "believe" it.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 10-06-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Justin Ellsworth

Profile:

3, 2, 1...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

I can't comment on the corporate stuff, but in regards to affiliates like any group there will be good ones and bad ones with the bad ones attracting the focus.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Matt Charney

Profile:

Surprised there isn't more chatter on this topic. There were a few responses in the comments but not a lot there either. Strength mill also had a thread on it. Haven't been on t-nation it is blocked at work.

Too much narative and not enough data. 1 in 30 or 1 in 50 gyms are crap wow!

I could see the future being that the new standard is you must have a level II to open a new affiliate. Has the fee increase slowed the rate of affiliation? Was that the intended affect? I can't remember the number but I heard Coach say something about limiting the number of Affiliates. I think it was 3k in the states but I'm not sure.

The one thing I did find disturbing was not from the author but a comment about the SMEs not being consulted on the games events.
If that is true I have one thing to say to HQ. Use your resources, consult the experts!

Ryan, find a better snack, try jicama and guacamole no popcorn. Much better avatar if I haven't told you. When you going to drop off those bars?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Andy Petranek

Profile:

I agree - I think the dialogue is fantastic... but to quit over it? Seems like a cop-out to me. I wrote up a response on his blog... here it is reposted. My question - do you want to be part of the problem, or part of the solution?

Wow - lots of dialogue here. GREAT! While I agree with what you said in many ways, you are merely stating the facts of the business model that Coach Glassman chose in establishing CrossFit. The way I see it (and believe me, I don't know all the answers here either), quality, knowledge and overall experience at CF Affiliates worldwide looks like a bell curve. You have a few at the very top, the vast majority in the middle, and a few at the very bottom. That's just the way it is... and who is it that decides this "ranking?" - the market. The best not only survive, but lead the way, stay out in front, consistently innovate, are creative, and elicit incredibly great results from the people they train.

I used to have the same concern as you do... and what I've come to realize is that what you're describing takes place in ANY service industry that doesn't operate as a franchise. Is there a difference between one stock broker and another? You betcha - even though they use the same stock market... and what about one graphic designer from another? Of course... even though, for the most part, they all use the same tools, computers and software.

IMHO - Coach Glassman's business system is genius - it allows for individual creativity and innovation, encourages entrepreneurs, rewards excellence, and provides us all with the BASIC operating system that works - CrossFit. What and HOW you use the BASIC operating system is your business.

Now, as a participant in the CF Affiliate community, we all have the choice - do I leave the community that has been responsible for the entire existence of my business and livelihood for the past 4 years because I am not happy with the overall quality of the Affiliate community? Or, do I find a way to be part of a possible solution, using my knowledge, experience and creativity to propose solutions to problems, enrolling others in the community in my ideas, standing for and with the people that are part of this great community, and helping raise the bar for everyone? Personally, I'm up for option #2.

On that note, I think that our entire community could use an injection of quality... pushing the entire bell curve to the right... how is this done? One idea - add an exam at the end of a Level 1 cert to actually make the certification mean something other than just "I paid & attended". Or call the Level 1 Cert a "CrossFit Seminar". I'm sure there are many more ways to do this, but this isn't the time and place to discuss.

I understand and respect your choice for option #1 above... however, though I don't know you personally, for a person with the obvious passion, knowledge and experience you have, I think you took the easy way out.

I guess it's also possible that CF will have to lose some great people before "it" is open to listening to community opinion and making change.

Andy Petranek
CrossFit Los Angeles
Old 10-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Jay Adams

Profile:

Andy Petranek is a class act. I do not own an affiliate, but I attend one. I have heard increasing *****ing about quality as more and more affiliates come on board, but some folks ***** to hear themselves *****. Crossfit is growing an evolving. Look at WODs like "King Kong" and some of the events at the '09 Games, HUGE leap forward in performance. FORCING people to program better because the expectations from the community at large are so high now. Greyskull has some serious strong dude, it is a shame to see that strength walk away rather than try to work with other athletes and affiliates to show them that there may be some merit to strength bias. I'm glad that there was no flaming *****ing thread about this.