CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
John Otterstedt

Profile:
150 pull-ups

Our affiliate's WOD for tomorrow is 150 pull-ups for time. Any suggestions on how to make this most palatable?

I can do about 8 dead hangs and about 15 kips (just learning the kips) before having to rest a bit. I once did 100 burpee pull-ups, and I found that I could carry on pretty long with single rep jumping pull-ups. I actually think that I might finish this WOD faster if I just did jumping singles (jumping from the ground into the pull-up, back to the ground for a 3 seconds, and then jumping into the next one), as opposed to resting long enough to bang out another 3 -5 in a row. However, are jumping pull-ups considered cheating? The bar is actually a good distance above my head, so the jumping doesn't help THAT much, but it probably does help a bit.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
Re: 150 pull-ups

if ya can't do 150 pull-ups, ya can't do 150 pull-ups.

there's no shame in scaling in some way, whether it be assisted pull-ups, bands, etc.

the CrossFit beasts weren't born as beastly as they are now.

just sayin', 150 pull-ups is a task for anyone.

if you feel the jumping ones are providing benefit for you, then do those.

pullups are one exercise where i just get to the point where i can't do anymore after a while so whichever way is easiest for you, bang 'em out.

=]
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Michael Ingley

Profile:

just do 30 sets of 5 real quick, thats managable right>?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Randy Cohen

Profile:

John:
Sounds like your affiliate is pretty hard core. It sounds like a tough workout, but very manageable. If you can do 15 kipping pull-ups, why not break it down into 10 sets of 15. Stay focused, crossfit workouts will test you mentally and physically. If they didn't you would be in a globo-gym on a stairmaster getting nothing accomplished.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

We did 100 for time recently. Personally, I don't know anyone that can do 150 pullups in one set. Scale as needed and break up into manageable sets, everyone else will.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
Lee Hill

Profile:

I'd second the sets of 5 idea for a WOD like this, ideally with only 5 breaths between sets. Just grind out what is do-able rather than trying to be a hero and it all degenerating to singles. I could probably do 10 sets of 15, but would have a faster time with the 5's because my cycle rate would be much quicker.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Peter Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Otterstedt View Post
Our affiliate's WOD for tomorrow is 150 pull-ups for time. Any suggestions on how to make this most palatable?

I can do about 8 dead hangs and about 15 kips (just learning the kips) before having to rest a bit. I once did 100 burpee pull-ups, and I found that I could carry on pretty long with single rep jumping pull-ups. I actually think that I might finish this WOD faster if I just did jumping singles (jumping from the ground into the pull-up, back to the ground for a 3 seconds, and then jumping into the next one), as opposed to resting long enough to bang out another 3 -5 in a row. However, are jumping pull-ups considered cheating? The bar is actually a good distance above my head, so the jumping doesn't help THAT much, but it probably does help a bit.
With your current capabilities as a guideline, I would suggest something like doing sets of 4 every half-minute on the half-minute. You should be able to do unbroken sets until around 100 would be my guess. Then reduce to sets of 3 as necessary. Keep reducing the number per set if necessary to maintain unbroken sets.

I'd guess you'll be able to do this in 25-30 minutes with kipping pullups.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
Victor Myers

Profile:

Don't leave us hanging John, how did you do?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
John Otterstedt

Profile:

Well, here is how it went....I started with 15 straight kipping pull-ups. Then I took a short break. From there, I did 5 at a time until I hit around 75. At that point, I was ready to pack it in so I used a band for a few rounds of 5. Then I added a second band. By the end, I was doing only 1-4 pull-ups per set. It wasn't pretty. The first half looked pretty good, though.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
Victor Myers

Profile:

I was at the gym by myself at the 6am so I did 30 muscle ups for time instead. I did it in 11:24. That was the first time I've ever tried that workout so I was really happy. 150 seems far worse than 30 muscle ups. I've done 100 before with Barbara, Angie and Murph but that extra 50 would have cooked me for sure.

Well done John.